Prices about some of the lights

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
I know tech is always expensive but I wonder why some of these lights are so expensive for what they do. So my question is why is a surefire LX2 going for $200 or a gatlight for $300? I know these are bright lights, good casing, water proof and etc but these are flashlights to be used after all. They aren't what you call luxury items. Most people don't even know the difference between a surefire,olight, fenix (etc) and a run of the mill LED maglite at their local hardware store. And the rest probably haven't even heard of these brands. And as for durability are these lights that durable to command such a price?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gatlight is 495$, but I got mine when it still was 399$...

Do you own a Swatch? Well, I have 70 of them as I once was a Swatchaholic and one Longines. Do you know Longines? It is the same company as Swatch (which everybody knows) and they produce high quality swiss watches which cost at least 10 times the price of a Swatch. Do you know Chopard? They make the Super Ice Cube watch which costs about 1 million $.

I hope this answers your questions. A product costs exactly the price people pay for it and the most expensive brands are often known only by the people who actually own their products or want to own them.

As for flashlights, most people only want a light, the cheaper, the better. Most people also buy their watches that way and if it breaks after 5 days, they throw it away and buy a new one. You'll never NEED to buy another Surefire if you own one, because you have a liftetime warranty (if it breaks). The Gatlight is a handcrafted luxury item made of pure titanium, even the 24 screws holding the exoskeleton together are highly precise items made by Lumencraft.

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I know tech is always expensive but I wonder why some of these lights are so expensive for what they do. So my question is why is a surefire LX2 going for $200 or a gatlight for $300? I know these are bright lights, good casing, water proof and etc but these are flashlights to be used after all. They aren't what you call luxury items. Most people don't even know the difference between a surefire,olight, fenix (etc) and a run of the mill LED maglite at their local hardware store. And the rest probably haven't even heard of these brands. And as for durability are these lights that durable to command such a price?

I know tech is always expensive but I wonder why some of these watches are so expensive for what they do. So my question is why is a Rolex going for $6000 or a Breitling for $4000? I know these are Good Watches, good casing, water proof and etc but these are Watches to be used after all. They aren't what you call luxury items. Most people don't even know the difference between a Rolex, Omega, Oris (etc) and a run of the mill LCD Timex at their local Drug store. And the rest probably haven't even heard of these brands. And as for durability are these watches that durable to command such a price?

Seeing as how your handle is "Rolex" I thought you might want to see a similar post I frequently see on another forum and maybe you will understand more of what you are asking...

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
You have a point, I guess the thing with most $$$ luxury item is that everyone knows Rolex, BMW, Benz, Mercedes, Louis Vutton and etc. Some of the pricing comes from the idea of Heritage/history. Some of it from the idea having these things mean you're successful.

I guess it's hard for me to see a flashlight as item of heritage/history or a designation of "you've made it"

make no mistake I've spent 70 bucks on my olight with a diffuser and my GF looked at me with the "WTF" look on her face :crackup:. She was like "it's a flashlight....."

I got it because it was cool and basically fits into gadget lust lol and not because i needed it.

I know tech is always expensive but I wonder why some of these watches are so expensive for what they do. So my question is why is a Rolex going for $6000 or a Breitling for $4000? I know these are Good Watches, good casing, water proof and etc but these are Watches to be used after all. They aren't what you call luxury items. Most people don't even know the difference between a Rolex, Omega, Oris (etc) and a run of the mill LCD Timex at their local Drug store. And the rest probably haven't even heard of these brands. And as for durability are these watches that durable to command such a price?

Seeing as how your handle is "Rolex" I thought you might want to see a similar post I frequently see on another forum and maybe you will understand more of what you are asking...

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I think a reasonable answer probably has to take a number of factors into account: the quality of the light, the technology, materials, worksmanship, and exclusivity of the light.

Some lights are clearly built better than others - for example, they have tight-fitting joints, gold-plated contacts, o-rings to waterproof the light, etc. These aspects increase the cost of designing and producing the light. And, of course, some people are willing to pay more for reliability. (Personally, I'm happy to pay > $100 for one of Henry's Ra lights, Don's PDs, SF's A2s, or Enrique's Aeons, since I'm pretty sure they're going to work when I need them.)

Technology also helps; some lights just have more technology than others: multiple levels, programmability, etc.

As for materials, well - titanium and aluminum cost more than plastic! :)

The worksmanship is also a factor: some lights have unusual and/or intricate designs. These require more labor.

Finally, the exclusivity comes into play: many lights are made only in limited quantities, so they have a value for collectors - or simply because there aren't enough to go around.

That's my take on it! As for why any individual light is worth as much as it is...I guess that's just plain ol' economics....supply and demand. You'll find that some of the "rare" lights are still available because they were priced just above what people were willing to pay. Others were priced a bit low, and have actually increased in value!

- FITP

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be a smartbutt but try to make any of those high priced items yourself and you have answered why. cause we (at least here) couldn't make any of them for 5 times the price and still make a flawless product like any surefire or longines hell we would have troubles building a minimaglight. This is IMO

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should see what a Spy 007 goes for. :eek:oo:

bansuri

Enlightened
It costs a lot to design a product, line up parts to purchase, create custom dies, molds, setups, buy new machinery if the light requires a new process that your current setup can't run, and train people to make them. When you buy a light you have to pay, in part, for the factory, the employee's wages, the boss, receptionists, the managers, salesforce, graphics/ad department, and a million other things. AND the company needs to be profitable so they can stay in business to honor that warranty.
These lights might be cheaper if the market was bigger but most people don't plan ahead and are happy enough with a flashlight that will ultimately fail them when they need it most. They'll pay $100+ a month for a cellphone, cable tv, cigarettes, etc.. then balk at spending that much for a quality tool (that they will marvel at when one of us whip it out!)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't "collect" lights...so I would never buy a gatlight, a gold plated mag, or even an orange SF. I wouldn't even pay $425 for an M6...but I was lucky enough to get a good trade on one. Most people, excluding flasaholics, buy there lights for what THEY need them for. If I just drove to work everyday, then, yes a $20 aluminum tube, will work fine for what I need it for. Fix the occasional flat, etc.

You have to be able to draw the line between "brand name" mark-ups, and products where the cost is part of the equation. SF's mentality is, which is opposite of most main streams companies, "is there a better, more durable part we can use, regardless of cost?" (with-out making the product "unafforable"), instead of, "these parts cost less and do the same thing, so lets use these, and pass some of the saving on to the consumer, but MOSTof it to us".

SF's don't cost alot because they have SF etched on the side...they cost alot, because THEY COST ALOT to make. The parts they use cost more (better LA's, better O-rings, better aluminum...you name it), there workers are well paid (=motivation=dedication=quality), they have good QA, and the best (IMHO) CS in the market. In 20 years, I'll have replaced several tailcaps on the SF same light, at no cost to me.

I always tell people that ask me why i pay $140 for an SF...the warranty is part of the price...

$15 for a pair of binoculars, or $80 for a waterproof, well made pair? I don't care who's name is on the side. It's either quality or it isn't, and the truth is in the numbers.

I'm done ranting...CPF RULES!!!

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold 2 lights, in your right, let's say the cheapest of the surefires, a G2 and in the left, any generic cheapo light.

Hold both hands straight out, shoulder height, drop both lights on tiled floor, concrete, asphalt.

Repeat 10 times

See which light survives

If one or both do not survive, try calling customer service (if available for the generic cheapo) and tell them, "oh i dropped the light quite a number of times and it doesnt work now." see which customer service is more helpful :D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I wish all of my lights only cost $200 each!!!! :laughing:

A $200 7 Cree Led Zep Megalinneum
A $200 Milky U2by2
A $200 Boxter Lego
A $200 Mcgizmo Haiku
A $200 Ti Aleph Lego set

I thought the LX2 was priced pretty well. Come to think of it, I have spent more than $200 on an order of batteries.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one or both do not survive, try calling customer service (if available for the generic cheapo) and tell them, "oh i dropped the light quite a number of times and it doesnt work now." see which customer service is more helpful :D

+1 Hyperloop...the warranty is part of the price....

mmace1

Enlightened
cause we (at least here) couldn't make any of them for 5 times the price and still make a flawless product like any surefire or longines hell we would have troubles building a minimaglight. This is IMO

We couldn't make most of the products we buy...I don't think that idea applies here. I think the OP is asking why a Rolex can command $5000 (Or a Patek Phillipe $20,000). For that, I'd say mostly it's as a status symbol. Same reason people value diamonds more than cubic zirconias

For flashlights: The warranty, durability, and performance certainly applies (for some people, though not most, honestly) when comparing a $60 Fenix vs. a $10 drugstore flashlight, but for say a $60 fenix vs. a $400 Surefire...the best explanation I can give is: I think for a long time, Surefire was one of the only really heavy-duty flashlight makers, and they currently have a reputation that's difficult for other companies to overcome, especially for military/etc. who maybe don't think so much about the high cost. For civilian/home use you have the hobbiests...who just get it because they think it's the best, and are willing to pay several times more even if only by an extra 2% (or whatever) increase in quality, because...they enjoy it, it's a hobby like any other. Actually cheaper than a great many hobbies I might add.

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
It costs a lot to design a product, line up parts to purchase, create custom dies, molds, setups, buy new machinery if the light requires a new process that your current setup can't run, and train people to make them. When you buy a light you have to pay, in part, for the factory, the employee's wages, the boss, receptionists, the managers, salesforce, graphics/ad department, and a million other things. AND the company needs to be profitable so they can stay in business to honor that warranty.
These lights might be cheaper if the market was bigger but most people don't plan ahead and are happy enough with a flashlight that will ultimately fail them when they need it most. They'll pay $100+ a month for a cellphone, cable tv, cigarettes, etc.. then balk at spending that much for a quality tool (that they will marvel at when one of us whip it out!)
+ 1 - well said.:thumbsup:
James....

dagored

Enlightened

I own 1 Rolex and 2 Breitling. They ARE that durable. The Rolex is 15 years old and today I could not afford to buy it. I own 2 RA Clickies and 1 RA Twisty. They ARE that durable.

mmace1

Enlightened
I own 1 Rolex and 2 Breitling. They ARE that durable. The Rolex is 15 years old and today I could not afford to buy it. I own 2 RA Clickies and 1 RA Twisty. They ARE that durable.

I bet 125 consecutive Timex watches (similar cost) would outlast your one Rolex, however. I don't think durability is a valid argument for spending several thousand on a watch, not that there aren't valid arguments of course.

Not to mention, from an engineering standpoint (all else - including cost, held equal) reliability from greatest to least is generally: Electronic, quartz, mechanical. Though mechanical watches are by far the most impressive and the most expensive, they really have been eclipsed in the practicality department by a decent $20 watch...Not to mention, people tend to take rather better care of their Rolexs (which I agree are *very* well made) than their Timex.

Last edited:

dagored

Enlightened
I bet 125 consecutive Timex watches (similar cost) would outlast your one Rolex, however. I don't think durability is a valid argument for spending several thousand on a watch, not that there aren't valid arguments of course.

Not to mention, from an engineering standpoint (all else - including cost, held equal) reliability from greatest to least is generally: Electronic, quartz, mechanical. Though mechanical watches are by far the most impressive and the most expensive, they really have been eclipsed in the practicality department by a decent $20 watch...Not to mention, people tend to take rather better care of their Rolexs (which I agree are *very* well made) than their Timex.

Now you are getting off topic because of the time, effort, and frustration of having to go out 125 times to replace something. That one purchase is now"priceless"!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Some people might question why I have spent over $400 on a custom built headlamp, but as a caver, I believe my life is worth it.

Why do I also have a $200 miniature titanium flashlight around my neck? I have no good reason other than the fact that I just plain like it.

In the end, my flashlight addiction is certainly healthier and cheaper than drugs. . .

And while we are off-topic, don't Rolex watches require regular factory service to remain accurate?

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
Now you are getting off topic because of the time, effort, and frustration of having to go out 125 times to replace something. That one purchase is now"priceless"!

Well if you really think it's going to take 125 Timex watches to equal the longevity of one Rolex...then you have a valid point.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a Rolex, or an even more expensive watch. However, durability is certainly not a valid reason. I would wager there are some digital watches available that would last even longer than a Rolex, require absolutely no maintenance outside of a quick battery change at any store, and only cost a few hundred dollars to a Rolex's few thousand. Personally, I'd rather have a Rolex as well, but that's not the point...

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
In the end, my flashlight addiction is certainly healthier and cheaper than drugs. . .

It's a hobby, nothing wrong with it at all. And MUCH less expensive than more common hobbies such as : cars, horses, travel, etc.