Hmm suggestion for ARC LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxalopex

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is a good suggestion but the one thing that's keeping me from getting an ARC LS is the fact that it uses not so environmentally friendly batteries and it's something I would always have to replace. The ARC AAA has the nice feature of being able to accept rechargable NiMH AAA. I wonder if it would be possible for someone to make rechargable lithium Ion pack for the ARC LS. Considering the ARC LS costs nearly as much as a lot of electronic gizmos that use Lithium Ions it might be a neat option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

foxalopex

Newly Enlightened
Well yes, I'm aware of that but that kind of makes it a lot bigger. A lithium ion pack would probably allow it to keep the same size. Although last I recall lithiums ion rechargables may require some support circuitry and stuff so this idea might not actually work in practice.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Yes, you're right - LiIon-cells need some sort of control circuitry to prevent overcharge and full discharge. Anyway, I'd love to see a LiIon pack too, but I guess that will take some time and may add quite a bit to the price of the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . In the meanwhile I'm quite happy with the NiMHs...

Chris

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The development of a Li-Ion with the size of a 123 battery is feasible, even if I foresee a capacity of only 500 - 600 mAh. It should have the lenght of half of Copia 168A. Peter, your next business will be... guess!

Anthony

PeterB

Enlightened
I would also love to have an LiIon accu with low self discharge and high capacity.
I would propose to offer a single AA-pack, since AA LiIons with about 700mh and 3.7V are available (e.g. Sanyo UR14500) for the LS4 and LS5.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several posts here on the upcoming Arc LiIon packs.

Currently, the Copias look like the best bet since they have a built-in protection circuit.

There is no update on our schedule for this pack.

Peter

foxalopex

Newly Enlightened
Cool that's good to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I must have missed the posts somehow. Nice to know you're considering it.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, since the Copias can abruptly shut off, is there any circuitry to prevent you from being plunged into darkness if the battery gets too low and decides to cut current off...?

B@rt

Flashaholic
You can also use 2 1/5 A NiMh cells in the standard pack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif At 400 mAH they provide a runtime of 40-50 minutes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
FalconFX, now that is a good question! I hadn't thought of that until now. Another nice perk to using a capable uC like we will in the LS4/LS5, is that is could be programmed to recognize a characteristic change in the battery voltage right before the cutoff. Upon seeing this pattern in it's early stages, the program would then select moon mode which would provide another hour or two of run time before the cutoff. The cutoff would be sudden but at least you would have several hours of warning.

The question to answer would be is there is a sufficiently reproducable voltage phenomena sufficiently ahead of the cutoff?

Gosh, I just posted my idea on a public forum for all of our competitors to see. Oh, none of them use a uC in their luxeon flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So yes, there is at least one solution!

Peter

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response, Peter!

Perhaps the moon mode may actually be the signal for a needed battery recharge. At least then you'll have plenty of time.

...Almost like having a delta-V sensing circuitry to limit current...

Status
Not open for further replies.