Multi mode lights with memory

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memory mode is it or has it been a deal breaker for you? Do you really want or need it? It seems consumers and manufactures are split 50/50. Either a flashlight maker's light's all have memory or all don't, I'm sure their are exceptions I just can't think of any at the moment.

I know I can just always start the light in low mode by switching to low mode last before I cut it off but cycling through is just something I don't wanna do.

What really surprises me is the high output 700+ lumen lights with memory. I love my Olight M30 but nothing sucks more than turning it on having forgot I left it high mode when I just need to read or see something up close. I think I would rather have a complicated programmable light than one with memory. Seems like alot of light makers are going programmable with single and multi-mode so this could be a dead issue soon enough anyway. Just wanted to vent and maybe make my peace with memory.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a total believer in "no memory at all" and have all my programmable lights in low-med-high.
Lately had a walk where switching to med (or high) got a bit annoying - often had to switch the light off in between.
Didnt want to reprogram the levels (when I lend these lights around, I program the 1st to med. That works nicely)
Switching a memory light to low, to have it ther at next use is a no.

So the "perfect" light were one, that had a memory, but one that will work for something like 5-10 mins only and then starts in the 1st setting again (low preferred). That way there were a memory while actual use, but with the next one, the light would start in the best mode (for anyone except the tactical guys) - in low.

Maybe with just a capacitor that holds the memory and gets discharged soon?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that 10 min idea. I like what Quark did when you switch to turbo and then switch back it goes to the mode you was in before turbo and not automatically to low.

I got a MG Mini II today and love it just wish it had no memory, I also like I don't have to turn the bezel to get highest setting. Wish more lights had access to high(turbo) direct from switch without bezel turn. Hello Fenix

Moonshadow

Enlightened
This is one of those things that depends on very slight differences.

Seemingly tiny differences in the way that you use the lights, or in the way that the multimode is implemented, can result either in a light that is completely infuriating to use . . . or in your perfect EDC companion.

Having the light always come on at the previous setting seems to me a fundamental principle, so the smart PD system works well for me. I may switch the light on and off quite a few times while doing something, and I certainly don't want it skipping to another level after a brief off, or going back to low just because I'd left it off for a few minutes longer. If I want it to come on low tomorrow, it's no trouble at all flipping it to low before packing up.

So that works for me - but I wouldn't be at all surprised if those were exactly the things to drive someone else round the twist.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
now, we're talkin' non-tactical lights, of course. since those who REALLY need a tactical light (i..e, those who put their lives in danger - not counting, commuting at rush hour on highways in my neck of the woods), need and use a different kind of light (though some multi-mode, non-tactical lights do offer the ability to ALWAYS start out on HIGH/TURBO w/o requiring memory).

my pref. is for no memory. as you say, best of all is programmability/customizable. this is why i have fallen in love with the LiteFlux series of lights. they are the "burger king" of lights (i.e., "have it your way"). Novatac "P" series or Ra Clicky would also fall into the highly programmable/customizable category of lights (only a little less so than the LiteFlux).

next best, perhaps???, at least to my way of thinking at the moment, is the Fenix/Quark operation. two separate modes with no memory - start out in low in general mode (if that is what one wants), and can move to TURBO mode w/o having to change the "general" mode light output level.

my two shekels.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Fenix takes note of what the Quark does when you go back to general mode it goes to the mode you was in medium for example and not just go directly to low.

Thats about the only type of memory I prefer.

Beside's Fenix it seems company are either going to program or memory.

I don't have a single multi mode programmable like a Jetbeam or Liteflux but it seems I'm gonna have no choice if I want the best lights. I'm thinking my next light will be a Jetbeam. Might as well jump in head first.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like memory. To me, once you get used to it it's very helpful. I just remember to turn the light to low before going to bed so if I need it in the middle of the night in comes on in that setting. Although it could be useful to have memory on/off in the programmed settings. With memory too, the memory time has to be fast. For example, if you turn off the light and then turn it back on 2 seconds later it should still be high, not bumped to low.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like having a memory option would always be better than not. It depends alot on the light's UI, and whether memory can be turned off or worked around. In general, if a light will fire up on low I'm happy.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally memory mode should be something that can be turned on or off. I personally forget what level I used last and don't want to turn on a light on high if I am walking to the bathroom. For me, it's alwasy easier on the eyes to start low and go high if necessary.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The reason I don't like my flashlight to have a memory is, it's usually better than my memory. I hate it when I think the light's on Low, then blind myself because I forgot I used it last on High. :laughing:

I prefer to get the same thing every time I turn the light on. And since I'm not a cop or an "operator," I prefer that to be Low. As long as the UI doesn't make it too onerous to change modes, I don't mind ramping up the lumens until I get as much light as I need.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I don't like my flashlight to have a memory is, it's usually better than my memory. I hate it when I think the light's on Low, then blind myself because I forgot I used it last on High...I prefer to get the same thing every time I turn the light on. And since I'm not a cop or an "operator," I prefer that to be Low. As long as the UI doesn't make it too onerous to change modes, I don't mind ramping up the lumens until I get as much light as I need.

+1 on all points.

mighty82

Enlightened
It all depends on how difficult it is to change modes with the specific flashlight. On my fenixes/quark I just have to tap one or more times quickly from turning it on, it takes less than a second. My LF5XT on the other hand I have programmed to use memory, as its much more time consuming changing modes on it. I have programmed it to have only 2 modes also, because it takes to long time to cycle through them all if I have more. It's like click-click waaait, click-click waaait for every mode.. With quark or fenix it's just tap-tap-tap.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not really a fan of memory either.I would rather have the light work the same way every time.The Photon Freedom has the best UI I have come across so far.Press and release for max output or press and hold to ramp up to the desired level.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...My LF5XT on the other hand I have programmed to use memory, as its much more time consuming changing modes on it. I have programmed it to have only 2 modes also, because it takes to long time to cycle through them all if I have more. It's like click-click waaait, click-click waaait for every mode..

started w/5modes on the LF3XT, but quickly came to a similar conclusion as you.

now, all of my LF lights are programmed to 3 modes - min (0.2% for the '3' and '2', and 2% for the '5'), 15%, and 50%.

MAX is available on all of them as a "press-and-hold" momentary mode. So, four easily accessible modes.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I couldn't take it anymore I ordered a JetBeam Jet III Pro ST. I love my PD30 but tired of twisting the bezel to get to turbo and most multi mode lights that have direct access to the max setting through a clicky switch has memory or either just infinity brightness with just one mode. That and I seem to be favoring 18650 battery's these days.

I really hope this thing has as much output as my PD30 or not sure it will be my EDC.