The Fenix-Store        
Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152155156157158159160161162163 LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 4863

Thread: What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Default Re: What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

HDS Rotary + SDR50. Because I like the tint on the ZL SC64c LE with the same emitter (more or less).

Streamlight(s) Protac 1L-1AA and Sidewinder Compact II.

Our family is in a "dual fuel" phase now that we have enough specialized flashlights to last us a while, and these fill the bill. In fact, I bought two of the 1L-1AA lights because we found it pretty easy to live with in most respects, particularly at the price we paid for them.

I have used a Sidewinder Compact for some years - it was the backup flashlight in my ES gear - but decided that perhaps the "II" was a better choice for the emergency kit that I made up by repurposing my old ES gear. I am not as careful about keeping fresh 123s around now that I am no longer a responder, and the AA option is more attractive to me than it used to be.

Honorable mention: recent purchases have been an LED conversion and two AA adaptors for an old angle-head USGI "Fulton" flashlight, which upped the output and lightened the overall weight. I and my son both used this particular flashlight at different points in our lives, so it has some sentimental value. They are big old clucks, but kind of neat to keep around.

Great first post cobweb. Welcome to the site.

Good picks too. Double A-able lights have come a long long way.

And glad to hear you are keeping the (updated) Fulton around. That light was/is an awesome piece of history that who knows how many times it helped save lives.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Great first post cobweb. Welcome to the site.

Good picks too. Double A-able lights have come a long long way.

And glad to hear you are keeping the (updated) Fulton around. That light was/is an awesome piece of history that who knows how many times it helped save lives.
    Thank you. I have lurked here for some years after having been tipped off to CPF at a training event where many of the attendees' lights (including mine) were found to be sadly lacking. I am sort of hopeless when it comes to electronics, but have managed to convert a couple of Surefire incans to LEDs, update some 30 year-old Mag Lites and the GI angle-head, and generally get the extended family out of the tradition of cheap dime store flashlights that don't work because the two D cells have leaked.

Sofirn C01 because, warm, floody, High CRI

WTB Lumintop AAA Copper Tool. Also wtb Olight i3s prefer purple.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCobweb View Post
    Thank you. I have lurked here for some years after having been tipped off to CPF at a training event where many of the attendees' lights (including mine) were found to be sadly lacking. I am sort of hopeless when it comes to electronics, but have managed to convert a couple of Surefire incans to LEDs, update some 30 year-old Mag Lites and the GI angle-head, and generally get the extended family out of the tradition of cheap dime store flashlights that don't work because the two D cells have leaked.

Bravo!!
    I noticed an American made theme in your past choices. Many here have been using aa sized eneloop rechargeables in C and D sized lights since an LED upgrade often increases run time enough to run a while on those. They'll work in that Sidewinder and ProTac as well.

BTT:
    I bought some modern Maglites this weekend using the 30% black Friday code. ML models and some more spectrum warm aaa minimags and solitaires.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-28-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Bravo!!
    I noticed an American made theme in your past choices. Many here have been using aa sized eneloop rechargeables in C and D sized lights since an LED upgrade often increases run time enough to run a while on those. They'll work in that Sidewinder and ProTac as well.
    Just yesterday I put three 3xAA adapters into my 30 year-old "beater" Mag-Lite that I "Malkoff'd" a couple years ago but had not used much since then. Nine new lithium AA batteries from the hardware store is not really an inexpensive option, and I should probably look into rechargeable cells of some sort.

I just hope this new power source in the old "baton" doesn't explode or burn down the house.

Just yesterday I put three 3xAA adapters into my 30 year-old "beater" Mag-Lite that I "Malkoff'd" a couple years ago but had not used much since then. Nine new lithium AA batteries from the hardware store is not really an inexpensive option, and I should probably look into rechargeable cells of some sort.

I just hope this new power source in the old "baton" doesn't explode or burn down the house.
    Which Malkoff are you running in there?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

I opted for the lower power Malkoff in a 3D simply because 40-ish lumens to 350-ish was a good jump and costed half as much as the brighter one. Great for spotting racoons in trees and critter eyes at a distance with a lot more light spread than the stock bulb.
    I'm brave and run Rayovac D cells in mine though.

If you have the high power Malkoff and want to opt for eneloops consider eneloop pros. Much better at handling high drain stuff with more fuel stuffed inside too. Some here don't like them because they "only" recharge like 300 times versus 1000 for the regular kind. Me? After recharged the 5th time they've paid for themselves is the way I see it. So each time after is a bonus. If I get 100 charges that's a lot of $ saved.

I would have bought an ML25 at Wally World on black friday but there were none left. I did grab a 3c ML50 though. $25 for 611 American lumens with the option to tailstand it in eco mode night after night during a power outage.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Which Malkoff are you running in there?
    It has been a while, but I think it was the 3-6D Cell Maglite Drop-In LED. After installation I went outside at dusk to test it, and a neighbor who was in the backyard with his dogs was amazed by the increase in output over the stock ancient Mag-Lites we old duffers tend to have around.

I grew up in a household where from the late 1950s any incidents requiring a flashlight meant a trip to the "junk drawer" of the house, and at least half the time the batteries were dead. Having any spare D cells on hand was considered almost lavish. Often the batteries had also leaked; this almost always necessitated the purchase of a new cheap flashlight (and equally cheap batteries), as my dad never bought any other kind. Regardless of the situation, the family flashlights were dim, dismal affairs... a favorite uncle provided contrast with a ribbed, chrome plated "Sears Best" flashlight that always seemed to have fresh D cells - and more expensive ones at that - in it.

Thus my expectations were such that buying the 1980's Mag-Lite in question made me think I had a powerful torch. The Malkoff drop-in kicked it up to where it became no slouch as a flashlight and it remained a decent potential bludgeon for a slowly deteriorating area.

Sunwayman V11r with 2700k LH351d, because, Warm, High CRI, Floody, Rotary :-)

Last edited by jon_slider; 11-30-2020 at 09:11 PM.

The last light I bought,is a fenix e12 v2.
    i bought it to replace a e12 v2 that I broke by dropping it on the ground.

Last Christmas I got myself a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 because I wanted one for a long time. I wasn't disappointed.

The new Slate Blue Quarks from Foursevens. One of each.

WHY -
    They both have a brand new, previously unreleased, 90+ CRI Nichia 319A 4000k emitter.
    They're from a great company.
    They're both equipped with rechargeable cells; AAx2 and 16650.
    They're blue.
    They're being offered at a 20% off sale price.
    I'm a Foursevens fanboy.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

It has been a while, but I think it was the 3-6D Cell Maglite Drop-In LED. After installation I went outside at dusk to test it, and a neighbor who was in the backyard with his dogs was amazed by the increase in output over the stock ancient Mag-Lites we old duffers tend to have around.

I grew up in a household where from the late 1950s any incidents requiring a flashlight meant a trip to the "junk drawer" of the house, and at least half the time the batteries were dead. Having any spare D cells on hand was considered almost lavish. Often the batteries had also leaked; this almost always necessitated the purchase of a new cheap flashlight (and equally cheap batteries), as my dad never bought any other kind. Regardless of the situation, the family flashlights were dim, dismal affairs... a favorite uncle provided contrast with a ribbed, chrome plated "Sears Best" flashlight that always seemed to have fresh D cells - and more expensive ones at that - in it.

Thus my expectations were such that buying the 1980's Mag-Lite in question made me think I had a powerful torch. The Malkoff drop-in kicked it up to where it became no slouch as a flashlight and it remained a decent potential bludgeon for a slowly deteriorating area.
    Mr. Cobwebb, your post made me smile. I grew up in the wrong era. Thank you, I needed a decent read today.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Thrunite Ti3,
    because: I like aaa lights, and I enjoy installing High CRI LEDs.

SC600w Mk IV Plus, should be here next week.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

The brand spanking new Elzetta USB rechargeable 1AA.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of tricks the company that brought us weapon grade lights that could be disassembled under water and still work or dropped 3000 feet from a helicopter onto concrete and not even flicker. In this case they turned their sites towards a consumer market. So it should prove interesting how Elzetta chose to build a "work" light.

Edit: Later I ordered a pair of 2 cell ML300 LX lights. Urban Gray and Matte Black.
    End edit
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-05-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Pair of Nicron N7's because... it looked like a good beater light for the car. (Report: Like them on AA's, ordered some 14500's last night to try)

And a Sofirn N40 because... I've never really owned a headlamp but often think "Damn it! This would be much easier if I had a headlamp" and it was a cheap and well rated. (Report: Not here yet)

Today I found my latest purchase in the mailbox! It's a pair of Fenix HL23 headlamps. They're AA powered lights. During one of the Black Friday or Cyber Monday promotions they had them for $26 or so with free shipping! That's the best price I've seen so I jumped. So far I just put the battery in one of them to mess around with it, no in-depth tests or anything but my initial impressions are favorable.

I couldn't resist the r/flashlight hype any longer and I got me a very nice Noctigon K1 (XPL-HI 5000k) a few weeks ago. And I now have an Emissar D4V2 with E21A 4500Ks on order.

And I ALMOST forgot what is probably my LAST Fenix purchase came in the mail today - an E18R. Not sure why I tried another Fenix. I guess the size and looks of this tiny thing intrigued me. I will likely keep this one as an extra backup light. I think from now on I won't spend ANY money on ANYTHING colder than 5000K. I've just grown to HATE cool white!
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 12-05-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Jetbeam TCR-1 triple dedome LH351D 3500k, 400 lumens on 16340
    because: warm, floody, high CRI, titanium, Stepless Rotary

built by moderator007, my favorite SuperHero

---

The brand spanking new Elzetta... 1AA.

That looks like a rebranded Jetbeam Jet 1 MK

Do you like the Last Mode Memory?

Last edited by jon_slider; 01-14-2021 at 11:06 PM.

The designer told me it started out as a JetBeam but they beefed up a few things to make it into an Elzetta.

Memory? Eh, I can take it or leave it. But I do take advantage of the opportunity to keep one on my night stand on low and another in my den on medium.

I just noticed in both photos the serial number is exactly the same. lol
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-15-2021 at 06:29 AM.

The designer told me it started out as a JetBeam but they beefed up a few things to make it into an Elzetta.

Elzetta told me that they changed the IC.. but kept some of the features. The modes are the same as the Jetbeam

Solid little lights.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 01-16-2021 at 10:00 PM.

I ordered a emisar d4v2 all copper with 18350 tube, extra floody optic, and with the emitters of the e21a nichia in 3500k rating. I'm curious as to how it will look as ive never owned e21a nichia before. I am excited to test out and film it

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Jetbeam TCR-1 triple dedome LH351D 3500k, 400 lumens on 16340
    because: warm, floody, high CRI, titanium, Stepless Rotary

built by moderator007, my favorite SuperHero

That is a NICE light Jon ! awesome led and tint wow !

Default What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Surefire V1 Vampire in White/IR to go with my V2. Need to get a Red/IR now
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-15-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Flashaholic

My last LED purchase was a Nitecore Tube to be given to my mother-in-law as a purse/keychain light. She has a couple of flimsy AA incandescent lights and she really needs a decent light. I figure rechargeable will be a good choice, as she can use her phone charger to top it up instead of constantly running out for dollar store carbon-zinc batteries. And it's even a bright NDP orange color, making it easier to find in her purse or on a key ring. Should be here in a day or so, we'll see how she likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrosoccer View Post
    That is a NICE light Jon ! awesome led and tint wow !
    thanks, total grail light for me

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrosoccer View Post
    d4v2 all copper with 18350 tube... e21a nichia in 3500k rating
    awesome, Im a big copper fan, congrats
    and
    E21a is one of the best 3500k options I have tried,
    will look very nice in a copper host too

I look forward to your impressions

I already posted this in another thread but I suppose it belongs here. p2x Fury (15/500lm). Was lucky to find a vendor in Europe who still had one in stock since its discontinued. Got it because I already own the Defender version and love the ergonomics. The standard version could be seriously great. I will see if it can be bored to accept 18650. Does anyone know if P60 style drop-ins fit into the p2x?
    Last edited by Olumin; 01-15-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152155156157158159160161162163 LastLast