Solar powered, supercapacitor LED Ecolight

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried this light?

Solar powered, supercapacitors (no batteries). They claim 60 Farad (!) at 4.6 Volts.

I haven't seen this light reviewed in CPF yet.

Thanks,
KR

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Wow, 30,000 charge cycle lifetime on one of those super capacitors! And a 'lightning fast' charge, too. I will say that 50 lumens for their high-mode is on the weak side of LED efficiency, for one watt. But this light reminds me of an expensive high end super-cap. light I've been reading about, made for LEO's. It is not solar charged, though. Thanks for showing us this light! Jeff O.

Skyeye

Enlightened
I'm not saying this flashlight is not the way of the future, but IT"S SO DARN UGLY!!!! Let em put the guts into something like a maglite and perhaps they will float! I think $44 is too much even with the hot technology. :eeew:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a neat idea but those flashlights are pretty useless in an emergency due to low runtime and brightness..

Would be nice if they added an extra rechargeable high power li-ion battery, like an 18650 to make it an hybrid. If the ecolight gives less than 1 hour runtime with an 1 watt emitter, the charge it holds is less than a AA battery, less than 1 watt. Lets say if they added 2 18650 inside, that would add nearly 15 watts of power and this means +15x runtime.

You could get 4 minutes rapid charge to get 45 minutes of light (super caps), or a longer full charge (li-ion) to get 12 hours of light. I should make one myself and get it patented. "Hybrid supercapacitor solar emergency flashlight"

dirtech

Enlightened
Ditch the 100% recycled plastic and use recycled aluminum cans. Great idea though and I may have to get one if the design is ever made not so ugly.