ARC LS is a life saver in Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY

Enlightened
I just returned from a three week trip to to Argentina where my ARC LS literally saved my and mine companion's hides, twice. I was with a Canadian delegation examining visitor use problems in Argentina National Parks. During the first incident, we arrived late in the day (4:00) to Nahuel Huapi National Park (located in the Patagonia region) - because Argentina is on the same latitude as Australia, they are going into the winter season and the sun sets at 5:30. Nevertheless, we were still taken on a six kilometer hike through some pretty rugged terrain. The going was pretty slow and the sun went down 4Ks through the hike. Some pretty serious darkness fell over us. The two rangers pulled out what looked like mini-maglites with very weak batteries. After about 15 minutes, their lights died. I pulled out my trusted LS and the night turned into day, leading us out about one hour later. The hike turned out to be uneventfull although we could have been in serious trouble since we walked past many high cliffs. The rangers were pretty impressed with the light and for the fact that I carried it in my pocket (this was some degree of satisfaction as I was ribbed a few times days before for always carring a light).

This experience replayed itself a week later at Iguazu Falls National Parks where we were walking back in the dark next to 100 meter cliffs where a mistake would make us just part of history. Again, my EDC ARC LS saves the day (night).

These incidents made it quite evident that people throughout the world need a LED replacement for their maglight type light, but it has to be very cost-effective and extremely dependable.

This lesson has taught me once again that for a flashlight to be of any use, it has to be carried with you at all times - you never know when it will be needed.

Thanks again Peter for making the perfect EDC light . . . that is until the LS4 shows up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ARC LS is a life saver in Argentina

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Can I put this on our website in the testimonials?

Thank you so much MY for sharing this with us.

Peter Gransee

gyverpete

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MY said:

This lesson has taught me once again that for a flashlight to be of any use, it has to be carried with you at all times - you never know when it will be needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it! Being ALWAYS prepared is the key. It amazes me how many people DON'T carry some sort of flashlight, and most that do, find it near dead or with a burned bulb. With LED lights becoming more readily available, there's no excuse for not having at least a photon style light at all times. A small light in the hand is worth two large lights somewhere else. And ARC certainly makes the BEST small lights. I believe I read that Peter's mission statement was something about making lights for convenient EDC. Peter, could you reiterate it here. I EDC an LS. Also I 24/7 carry an ARC-AAA white and photon II yellow around my neck. You never know when light will get you out of a jam, or possibly save your life as you found out.
Glad you made it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all love a happy ending! I love my LSH-P and I would trust it with my life too, one hell of a nice compact bright light!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My, great story, can I ask which tailcap you use, clicky or twisty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
You knew the ol' "clicky vs twisty" question just had to come in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're right, a light has to be carried and available to be of any use... I've made my Arc LSH-P my permanent backup light... it's truly one of the best all-around pocketable lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

Skyline

Enlightened
Wow that's a really great story. It goes to show being prepared is just smart planning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Makes me reeeeeaaally want an ARC LS now... but I have to remind myself to wait for the LS4/LS5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MY

Enlightened
Peter G.: Yes you may use this story. By the way, I had two ARC AAAs and gave them both away - they will now be used by pros in the field.

P.S. Peter, please make the LS4 find me beacon have the ability to stay on (like the Eternalight) rather than just flash. This simple feature is indispensable for campers and cheap hotel lurkers. Until you use this feature like I do, it almost seems to be a gimmick. Peter, thanks for listening (after all the time that Darrel harped, and then I followed in step for a dimmer function, you finally will come through).

TSG68: I carried the old twisty cap simply because it makes the light as compact as possible (again, for me to carry a light, it has to be small enough for pants pocket). I really do like a real switch but the kroll's length just not justify the extra bulge.

By the way I also used an Eternalight XRay quite a bit. Since we stayed in some quite modest accommodations, it was great using the nightlight option to guide the way at night when nature called. I also used the Eternalight for night time reading. While the ARC AAA was just not quite bright enough and the LS obviously too bright, the dimmable Eternalight was just right.

I carried three lights to serve all my needs (four counting the Photon III which lives on my keychain). I really dislike carrying so many lights but unfortunately, there is no single light out there which can serve all these purposes . . . until the LS4 shows up. I believe that its features may put a whole pocket full of lights into the junk drawer.

Skyline: If you need a light now, buy it (funds allowing). If you wait until the chickens come home for the perfect light (for the LS4), you may be waiting for a good long time. Get a ARC LS second or a minimag retro kit to get you through the wilderness.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks MY for the input. The find me blinker on the LS4 is fairly regular (about every second or so) so it is about as easy to find as a constant level but uses a lot less power.

The idea of replacing several essential lights with one is one of the basic ideas of the LS4. I am glad to see this message is coming across.

Peter

scuba

Enlightened
Great story MY. Gives me the extra little push that I needed to get one.
How are things in Thunder Bay? I lived there for 7 years in the 90's.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MY said:
Peter, please make the LS4 find me beacon have the ability to stay on (like the Eternalight) rather than just flash. This simple feature is indispensable for campers and cheap hotel lurkers. Until you use this feature like I do, it almost seems to be a gimmick. Peter, thanks for listening (after all the time that Darrel harped, and then I followed in step for a dimmer function, you finally will come through).

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
The find me blinker on the LS4 is fairly regular (about every second or so) so it is about as easy to find as a constant level but uses a lot less power.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't use my Eternalight's "Find Me" function so much in the blink mode as I do in the steady mode. The reason for this is that the blink really keeps me from getting to sleep. The constant-on light may use the cells faster, but it doesn't drive me crazy at night, and is more practical to use that glow to navigate unfamiliar rooms with. Or just my really messy bedroom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just double click the light when you are done using it and put it in moon mode? Depending on how you set this up, it could be brighter/dimmer than the Eternalight level you are used to.

When you are ready to use the light again, you would simply double click it and it full brightness would be restored. You could also boost while in either full or moon mode.

Btw, I added your story to the Arc website. Let me know if it looks ok. I changed "LS4" to "Arc-LS4" for the sake of clarity.

Peter

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great synopsis of your experiences, MY, and a fantastic resolution to a potentially lethal situation. You didn't mention which LS model you had with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I carry my rev1 Arc LS second as my EDC w/tsp-123, and my LSH-S is happily at home on my custom 2C pack.

Those Park Rangers do need good, reliable lights, even if it is only a MagmaLED for those minimags. Arc would be much better, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.