E2D with KX2C or M600c

b223

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

First time poster here. I could use some assistance.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, between a Surefire E2D with KX2C upgrade, and a Surefire 600C?

Would there be any difference in performance?

What is the practical difference between the two set-ups?

I'm not sure, but I think the scout light comes both with a clicky tail cap and a tape switch cap, as well as a surefire mount for attaching to a railed fore-end.

If that's the only practical difference, then I rather go with the modified E2D, because I'll never use the tape switch, and I don't care about the surefire mount... I'd probably end up replacing the mount with after-market mount anyway.

I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
600C is a weaponlight with an integrated rail mount.
Performance will be the same, since the 600C uses the KX2C head.

b223

Newly Enlightened
Will both be able to handle recoil the same if weapon mounted?

ugrey

Enlightened
Yes, they are LEDs and they will soak up all the recoil you can dish out. Only the filaments on the incandescent lamp assembies would break. LEDs do not have filaments. (heated wire) If you want a handheld light in that size get the new SureFire LX2. It is 200 lumens. I have a KX2C head on an L4 body and it is only 120 lumens. A weapon light will not be suitable for pocket carry. If you need a weapon light get a dedicated weapon light. You probably need a weapon light and a hand held light.

Welcome and Howdy to CPF. Asking questions is the best way to learn around here. We all do it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Another difference is that the E2D features a crenelated TailCap whereas the M600C features the same TailCap with a solid shroud. This may be a consideration for using the E2D TailCap when the light is mounted on a firearm - greater potential for stubbing fingers/thumb into the crenelated surround.
The TailCap used by the M600C is the Z68.

seattlite

Enlightened
Yes, they are LEDs and they will soak up all the recoil you can dish out. Only the filaments on the incandescent lamp assembies would break. LEDs do not have filaments. (heated wire) If you want a handheld light in that size get the new SureFire LX2. It is 200 lumens. I have a KX2C head on an L4 body and it is only 120 lumens. A weapon light will not be suitable for pocket carry. If you need a weapon light get a dedicated weapon light. You probably need a weapon light and a hand held light.

Welcome and Howdy to CPF. Asking questions is the best way to learn around here. We all do it.

My LX2 is just a little brighter than my 2 KX2C's and E2DL heads. As discussed in many threads and was tested by the "gman", the E2DL and KX2C heads are putting out more than the SF adevertised 120L's. Both the E2DL and KX2C heads have similar beam patterns and light output, but LED color temperature varies on all three of my heads. One of my KX2C's is very white, while the other is a bit warmer in color.

The E2D body/tailcap, and a KX2C/E2DL head and a flashlight mount by Larue, GG&G or Vltor would be a pretty versatile weaponlight. I think the M600C comes with both the tape switch and the clicky tailcap.

b223

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the helpful info. It is much appreciated.

And thank you for the welcome.

The LX2 seems like it would make a great handheld light, but for a weapon light, I rather not have a low and a high output. A single high output would be best.

seattlite

Enlightened
Thank you for all the helpful info. It is much appreciated.

And thank you for the welcome.

The LX2 seems like it would make a great handheld light, but for a weapon light, I rather not have a low and a high output. A single high output would be best.

The LX2 head is E-Series compatible so you can use the LX2 head with an M600 body and tailcap. This will give you only ONE output...high.

b223

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 head is E-Series compatible so you can use the LX2 head with an M600 body and tailcap. This will give you only ONE output...high.

I thought the output was all controlled by circuitry in the head?

Simply switching the head to a different body changes the output?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The LX2 bezel uses the difference created by the resistor in the LX2 TailCap to switch to the low output mode. Otherwise the LX2 operates in it's 'high output mode'.

Since the LX2 bezel has "E-Series" threads it can be mated with a standard E-Series body such as the L4 or E2e body. Given that these standard E-Series bodies do not feature the LX2's TailCap with it's resistor'd path, the only path available to the LX2 bezel on a normal E-Series body is the main, or high output.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the McE2S switch with the E series, and choose your resistor level. Same UI, though the McE2S isn't as well integrated as the stock switch, and can be a little more finicky about tailcap position for operation. It does give you control over the low mode's brightness, though.