AA Light with Surefire 2-mode interface?

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
Is there a decent quality flashlight that runs on 1 or 2 AA batteries that has the tactical 2-stage interface of a Surefire? Have any recommendations? I figured if I want 2 modes, why have to twist the head if I can just press a little harder.

zven

Enlightened
I certainly don't know the AA market as well as many others around here, but to my knowledge there are no other lights that use the same UI as SureFire's A2/L1/etc. (I assume that's what you're referring to, and not the interface on models like the E2DL?)

As far as I can see, you've got three options:

1. Suck it up and use a stock SF (L1, LX2, L2, whichever) and deal with CR123 cells (recommended if your priority is the UI)

2. Suck it up and use another brand's AA flashlight and deal with not having the 2-stage twisty UI (recommneded if your priority is battery format)

3. Invest time, effort, and possibly excessive money into some kind of legoed/custom/something light that has all your desired features (only recommended if you're looking to expand your flashaholic horizons)

If it were me, and I wanted what you want, I'd get a SF 9P (it is of proper length to accept 2xAA), fit it with a tube/sheath so that the narrow AA's don't rattle around in the body, put a Malkoff M30 in it, and find a modified, or the parts to modify the tailcap with a resistor for two stages.

I've thought about tracking down such a tailcap for my C2/M60, but it hasn't been worth the effort and money when I can just use my L1 instead.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
maybe an extension for L1 body so that it accepts 2AA? im not sure about the electrical path though. Something related with internal coating and anodizing of threads on SF lights may need to be observed in making such an extension.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can piece one together using Surefire E-series or C-series compatible parts, and there are a lot of options, but as others have alluded to, it won't be cheap.

I wish the NiteCore D10 would have been that light.