Wolf Eyes: an underrated brand?

325addict

Enlightened
I read a lot about how good all those Surefires are, but let's face the "facts" on some of the WE lights:

1. they accept 18XXX batteries, Surefires don't,
2. threads are equally well-machined as with Surefires,
3. the M90 is a fantastic SYSTEM, you can make whatever you like,
4. That new 1,000 Lumen Pilot Whale seems to be a monster,
5. electronics are reliable,
6. LED-tailcaps: a bright idea!
7. the Sniper MC-E is small and incredibly bright,
8. and what about the WE HID lights.....

The two lights I have from WE are always functioning flawlessly. The M90 Rattlesnake is in the 13V guise at the moment, the Sniper MC-E is my favorite LED-light, because it's so versatile: bright as hell if required, long lasting when you want... on just one 18650! And it is relatively "pocketable".

I'm curious of what other CPF-ers think about Wolf Eyes.... did I miss some fantastic light of them?

Timmo.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I will tell you what....im using a a 9V Incan from wolf eyes in my 9z and its the bees knees....i like it more than the SF P90...built a lot better...

mdocod

Flashaholic
A lot of people have said a lot of good things about them over the years. They were really at the forefront of offering complete li-ion powered solutions back when they were in cahoots with Pila. Since then they seem to have been steadily innovating and providing new and improved products. I only know one person who wasn't real crazy about a freebie Wolf-Eyes light that he received...

The D36 mini-turbo system, with the availability of plenty of different output and runtime configurations through LF lamps, is IMO, by far the most useful size/throw/output balance you can get for medium size incans. The D36 modules produce 2-3X the light concentration in beam as similar powered D26 modules...

I dare anyone to compare an EO-13 in a 3x18500 configuration to an SF M3/M3T/M4 or M6 any day. The results are surprising, the throw is just as good, the beam transitions to spill more smoothly for a wider more useful beam design. Overall output is only a hair behind the all-mighty MN21 on CR123s, but the runtime is about twice as long.

So yes, if only for the ability to use D36 lamps, the wolf-eyes offerings in this department are awesome.... Of course, recently, LF came out with the D36 to SF C adapter head, along with their matching Seraph line of flashlights... It's like having an M90 with SF parts and 18mm cell compatibility, even better IMO! Or you can build your own "M90" type light out of various other parts out there, like from solarforce, leef, FM, etc :)

-Eric

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
no doubt in my mind, wolfy makes the best production light on offer. i have 10 of them to back my claim.

And I thought that I was a very keen WE supporter......I only have seven lights from them.....better do something about that......I think that the new Explorer MC-E might be just what the doctor ordered, but I better wait for the M-300 to arrive first.....going to try and see if I can run an 1185 in it. (somehow) :)

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people have said a lot of good things about them over the years. They were really at the forefront of offering complete li-ion powered solutions back when they were in cahoots with Pila. Since then they seem to have been steadily innovating and providing new and improved products. I only know one person who wasn't real crazy about a freebie Wolf-Eyes light that he received...

The D36 mini-turbo system, with the availability of plenty of different output and runtime configurations through LF lamps, is IMO, by far the most useful size/throw/output balance you can get for medium size incans. The D36 modules produce 2-3X the light concentration in beam as similar powered D26 modules...

I dare anyone to compare an EO-13 in a 3x18500 configuration to an SF M3/M3T/M4 or M6 any day. The results are surprising, the throw is just as good, the beam transitions to spill more smoothly for a wider more useful beam design. Overall output is only a hair behind the all-mighty MN21 on CR123s, but the runtime is about twice as long.

So yes, if only for the ability to use D36 lamps, the wolf-eyes offerings in this department are awesome.... Of course, recently, LF came out with the D36 to SF C adapter head, along with their matching Seraph line of flashlights... It's like having an M90 with SF parts and 18mm cell compatibility, even better IMO! Or you can build your own "M90" type light out of various other parts out there, like from solarforce, leef, FM, etc :)

-Eric
Great post!

I agree 100%.

Cheers

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

-Eric

Also agree..........the added benefit of the Rattlesnake is the LED tailcap that can be used with all D36 Incan lamps, including the IMR series. Can't do that on any other Lego system.

Patriot

Flashaholic

-Eric

Aftermarket companies and moders have certainly improved the performance of many surefire incan products. If it wasn't for Lumens Factory for instance, I probably would have given up on SF incans long ago, mainly due to price, lack of comparable throw, and whiteness.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confess I am WE-less at the moment, but I nevertheless agree that they are great lights. I have owned several over the years and they always impress with that unmistakable feeling of quality....maybe it's the great "heft", or the smooth machining on the threads, or the always pleasing beam....

Yep, as soon as the wallet allows, I'll be happy to get back on the Wolfie train. :)

Metatron

Banned
And I thought that I was a very keen WE supporter......I only have seven lights from them.....better do something about that......I think that the new Explorer MC-E might be just what the doctor ordered, but I better wait for the M-300 to arrive first.....going to try and see if I can run an 1185 in it. (somehow) :)
GlenC has made sure i remain a poor man, but i can take any wolfy to war and thats good enough for me:wave:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I only own one Wolf-Eyes model, but it's a good one.

M90 Rattlesnake, w/ extender (the very short 18500 version).

Quite versatile.

It would be nice if this topic didn't degenerate into another "Surefire vs. ______" topic though.

325addict

Enlightened
exactly! There's more than enough "XX vs. YY" already :whistle:

I said, I own two WE-lights... no, I forgot one, an E4 Eagle with the TURBO-head on it! How could I forget about this one?? Well... because it has a quite un-usable 12V bulb in it, designed to take four(!) CR123A's...
So it has been waiting in its beautiful box, until I got some lamps to use it on two 18650s....

So I now immediately ordered TWO bulbs for the Eagle 4 in 9V at PTS, along with the long extender for my M90, and a spare 13V D36 bulb, as this is one of my very liked setups... someday, that lamp MUST die from the use of it :sssh:
As the E4 Turbo was equipped with a pressure switch when I got it, I also ordered another LED-tailcap for the M90 Rattlesnake... yes, I tried: this one also fits the E4.

@ Monocrom: you seem to have exactly the same setup as is my favorite... quite BRIGHT, isn't it? And with a very usable beam!! And it lasts for about an hour, which isn't bad at all... nevertheless, I ordered the long extender now, to extend the runtime to more than 100 minutes.

@ Cernobila: you ordered the M-300?? WOOWW!! Please keep me updated on how it performs, with the STANDARD lamp in it of course :)
Do you have any chance to compare it to an M90 13V setup? This is the one I use now, and is by far my brightest light... here, my C3 Centurion has to quit....

Timmo.

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have carried a WE light for years and I am a fan of both SF and WE. I had an old SF Commander that worked perfectly for years. That light was simple and reliable and was beaten to death on hard duty usage and never failed me once.

I switched from SF to WE with my first purchase being the Wolf-Eyes D36 Raider. For me it was a simple choice with the deciding factor being both lights were roughly the same size and runtime however the 9 volt WE system was simply brighter. I carried that Raider for a long time and it also was a great light with my only complaint being the glass bezel. I went through several bezels that cracked and broke.

After growing tired of buying replacement bezels I modded the light with an unbreakable lens and it was perfect for my usage afterwards. Both the SF and WE lights performed as claimed,and expected,however SF sure does know how to make a glass lens as I never had a failure of the lens on my old Commander.

After retiring the Raider I upgraded to the M90 and I love this set up. Thus far I have had no problems with the glass lens and I am not sure if this is due to better glass or a better bezel design or both. I will say with each upgrade I have been impressed with having more actual light output with no drop in actual run time. I really like the modular design of the WE products and have several different configurations in my duty bag. I keep spare batteries both in 18500 and 18650 with an extender and different lamps. I can go from 9 volt to the 13 volt in the same light and do so often depending on my situation.

I still carry the Raider in my bag also as a spare as well as a Sniper and also a modified Surefire 6P (Malcoff and diffuser). I use them all however do feel WE is an incredible performer for the cost and thus far have fit my needs perfectly. I do believe that WE lights success has much to do with the wonderful lamps put out by Lumens Factory as when paired together one can find something for everyones tastes. For that matter Lumens Factory lamps also compliment SF very well as one of my other favorite set ups is the E1E running one of the 90 lumen dropins from LF.

Thus far my WE lights have not had the actual service time of my past SF lights so I can not really say if they will perform as well for as long......however thus far it is looking good. My back up light I keep on my belt is a SF (TW4) and this little baby has been with me for longer than them all. It is simply one of the most trustworthy lights I have known however has not logged as many actual usage hours as my main light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
@ Monocrom: you seem to have exactly the same setup as is my favorite... quite BRIGHT, isn't it? And with a very usable beam!! And it lasts for about an hour, which isn't bad at all... nevertheless, I ordered the long extender now, to extend the runtime to more than 100 minutes.

Oh yes, quite bright; and quite sweet!

I went with the shorter 18500 extender since I got the matching W.E. holster for the M90 as well.

It's not an EDC light, but it can easily be strapped to my hip if needed. :)

Metatron

Banned
P1010416.jpg

325addict

Enlightened
ooops! I see you have the M300 also!

But... do you have an M90 with the standard D36 head? If yes, could you please comment on them when compared side by side?
Throw?
Spill?
actual brightness?

How do these compare?

Thanks,

Timmo.

Metatron

Banned
ooops! I see you have the M300 also!

But... do you have an M90 with the standard D36 head? If yes, could you please comment on them when compared side by side?
Throw?
Spill?
actual brightness?

How do these compare?

Thanks,

Timmo.
The M90 with the incan gives one of the best beams i have seen, close on the tail of the mag85 for sure. With the led drop in by wolfeyes or lumens factory it gave a very bright hot spot with little spill, compared to the M300. I must admit, the M300 is with me when i duck under houses, apart from the huge hot spot and great spill, it has an excellent run time, not to mention its built like a tank! They are both excellent flashlights for sure, but very different animals, lumen out put more or less the same, but utilized better with the M300.

325addict

Enlightened
OK, then this M300 is for me....

If it has a "huge hotspot" and "great spill" that's hard to come by BOTH in only ONE light.... and is what everybody is looking for, isn't it?? :whistle:

For example, my E4 with Turbohead throws really far and has a really bright hot spot... but virtually NO spill. Fine for far-reaching beams, but how often do we need that?

On the other hand, there's the M90 (in any setup with original WE Lamp Assembly) and this one has tons of spill, a good hot spot that gradually goes into the spill (REALLY like that pattern!) but is has no real throwing properties... this is what is most practical in everyday use.

I have been looking at that M300 for more than half a year... very tempting... just as the Boxer HID 24W.... they seem to share the same battery-holder? Now that 1,000 Lumen 6-die LED-light (with some whale in the name) is sharing that same battery-holder also I think... that would make a great system alltogether :thumbsup:
Buy the M300, the Boxer 24W and the "whale" and get three holders, and nine batteries. Whichever light you take with you, there's always enough power when you take those extra loaded holders with you :green:

Timmo.