Recommendations for the best compromise?

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I was playing around with my little L1D Gawd bless it :D and thinking how i would like to have a little bit more life out of the battery, and obviously because it has a high mode i want to use it all the time ;)

I'm just wondering how you lovely people all compromise between battery life and brightness? I'm thinking Eneloops and a charger, or something maybe a little better for an excuse to buy another light :twothumbs

If possible I'd like to stick with Ni-mh or will high capacity Ni-mh give me longer runtimes on my L1d, suggestions based on experience please?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Low Self Discharge NiMHs, such as Eneloops, are the unbeatable bang-for-the-buck power source for pretty much anything that accepts AA batteries. Not only do they provide more runtime than alkaline/dry batteries, but they're actually brighter for a longer period of time, thanks to how well they handle a heavy drain. They're a definite must-have for any AA light.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience when using a light in true darkness, for example backpacking at night, you won't need a high mode for general navigation, medium or even low will do as your eyes will adapt. That's the beauty of modern multimode lights. The actual compromise though would be to carry a spare cell or three imho. I generally carry a spare cell in another flashlight. There are times when one need the brightest light one can get; brightness can not be compromised.

thedeske

Enlightened
Eneloops and a charger = I'm not worried about running on high ever again. A charger that plugs in the car = I'm really not worried anywhere unless I forget to take the charger & spares.

Good Luck ;)

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you want to stick to eneloops or NiMHs, then your solution is a 2xAA form factor. Maybe a Nitecore D20? or any one of the numerous 2xAA solutions available out there.

If you're willing to consider something else, then get a 1x18650 light, they have higher voltage than a single AA/NiMH and higher capacity too, length wise they would be shorter than a 2xAA form factor though slightly thicker (which i dont mind as it feels heftier in my grip), take for example the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST which in my personal opinion my perfect 18650 light due to its slim tube (ST) design (but always willing to try out other lights, hehe).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use AA Fenix lights alot so I really don't worry about low discharge battery's. I use Duracell 26500mah and a Lacrosse BC-900 charger and been happy with runtimes.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
After using Eneloops I no longer purchase any other AA cell, except for Lith-ion 14500's!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It kinda depens on what you use your light for and how long at a time.
I need a flashlight everytime I go to a customer's site and can be there the whole day, sometimes multiple days in a row. I use a cheaper Terralux 140 lumen as main light and a L0D for backup (or sometimes it's my only light since I was supposed to be at the office that day). I have not run out of batteries while doing a job so far and have neede my lights for more than 4 hours consecutively.

As far as I'm concerned, regular rechargeable batteries are sufficient. I recharge my batteries whenever I fell they need it and don't have to feel bad about throwing away batteries with some usefulness left in them. I only use alkalines or the likes when I go camping and carry enough lights to simulate a landing strip... but even then, most of my main lights are powered by regular rechargeables... except of course my "bear repellent" light (namely a Fenix TK11R2), in which I make sure I have fresh batteries in all the time...

*Dusty*

Enlightened
How about a 2AA body for your L1D?

I thought about it, and decided against as one of the main sellers for me is the size.

I may simply invest in another EDC light on the basis of 2=1, 1=0, plus shiny toy syndrome is kicking in a little :eek:

Looks like eneloops are definitely the way forward.

325addict

Enlightened
Ready for a new experience? Then step into the 18650 world. Take a light that accepts either one or two of them and off you go :)

If it has to be compact, versatile and when needed MEGA-bright LED:
look no further than the Wolf Eyes MC-E Sniper.
On the 2% setting, one 18650 will last for 50(!) hours,
on the 100% setting, you'll nearly get blind, but the battery will be drained in an hour....
In between is the 30% setting which is nice and bright, and has at least a three hours' runtime.

Want to have a really bright incan? Again, I can advise Wolf Eyes: this time the M90 is a really versatile light. In standard-guise, it takes two 18650s with the "9V" lamp assembly, which gives you one of the nicest beam patterns I've ever seen. And it's way brighter than, for instance, a Surefire C3 Centurion with P90 lamp assembly.
Want it even brighter?? Then, add the "168" extender, and add another 18650. DON'T FORGET to change the lamp for the 13V one, otherwise the 9V lamp will immediately go :poof:
This setup is SO bright, you can really speak of a "wall of light".

These powerful setups simply cannot be made using a few 1.2V penlites.....

Timmo.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
Ready for a new experience? Then step into the 18650 world. Take a light that accepts either one or two of them and off you go :)

If it has to be compact, versatile and when needed MEGA-bright LED:
look no further than the Wolf Eyes MC-E Sniper.
On the 2% setting, one 18650 will last for 50(!) hours,
on the 100% setting, you'll nearly get blind, but the battery will be drained in an hour....
In between is the 30% setting which is nice and bright, and has at least a three hours' runtime.

Want to have a really bright incan? Again, I can advise Wolf Eyes: this time the M90 is a really versatile light. In standard-guise, it takes two 18650s with the "9V" lamp assembly, which gives you one of the nicest beam patterns I've ever seen. And it's way brighter than, for instance, a Surefire C3 Centurion with P90 lamp assembly.
Want it even brighter?? Then, add the "168" extender, and add another 18650. DON'T FORGET to change the lamp for the 13V one, otherwise the 9V lamp will immediately go :poof:
This setup is SO bright, you can really speak of a "wall of light".

These powerful setups simply cannot be made using a few 1.2V penlites.....

Timmo.

Hey thanks for the input, but I'd like to stick with AA's if possible as I have many other items which use them too, and I only need a light, not a portable sun in a tube....:grin2:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I was playing around with my little L1D Gawd bless it :D and thinking how i would like to have a little bit more life out of the battery, and obviously because it has a high mode i want to use it all the time ;)

I'm just wondering how you lovely people all compromise between battery life and brightness? I'm thinking Eneloops and a charger, or something maybe a little better for an excuse to buy another light :twothumbs

If possible I'd like to stick with Ni-mh or will high capacity Ni-mh give me longer runtimes on my L1d, suggestions based on experience please?
High mode all the time, and long runtime, are kind of mutually exclusive. A good way to compromise is simply to have a light that has infiitely variable setting. Then you can ramp it down to whatever level is enough when you want to save batts, and ramp it up to any level when you need more. Nitecore D10 is a fun light to have IMO, and there are others.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure how bright you want, but the Eagletac P10A has a general mode of 37 lumens for 8 hours.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I was experimenting a little bit with my L1D and the Medium mode seems to do me quite nicely, so I think it'll be an excuse for an LD10 which has a slightly longer runtime on the same mode, coupled with some eneloops.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
:whoopin:
That, sir, is CRAZY talk! ;)

I'm sorry, please don't excommunicate me...... :oops:

Seriously though, I have seen better hands on a digital watch than mine, modding things and taking stuff apart may be a little on the side of stupidity where I am concerned!!

I am buying ANOTHER flashlight, and a couple more :whistle: :sssh:

Hopefully that can redeem me!! lovecpf lovecpflovecpf

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I have a few eneloops, and technoline chargers BC700 + BC900, same as la crosse, I no longer buy eneloops, ace though they are, I have found Uniross Hybrio's to be ever so slightly better.
My fave 2AA light is OLIGHT T25, but it has to be said 18650 though a larger diametre is shorter with vastly better run times, I use AW cells, and would recommend if you did change your mind a MTE SSC P7-C, at least you get TAYTO crisps where you are!!
tabetha

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I eventually ordered a battery combo pack with a decent charger, eight AA eneloops, 4 AAA eneloops, and C and D cell adaptors for a decent price.

I will most likely end up ordering some more lights to fill wth all my nice new batteries though.......