How many converts have you made this year?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This thread seeks to discover how your interest in flashlights has affected the people around you: family, friends, lovers, colleagues, strangers and especially how many flashaholics you feel that you may have "created" or "converted"?

@@@ (Feel free to skip the next two paragraphs)
Every religion, philosophy, way of life and passion has its proselytizers, adherents and converts, so why not Flashaholism which is as productive as many and more benign than most? I should know better by now but I still marvel at the obtuseness of friends, family and colleagues who simply cannot understand the fascination, or at least the practical value of a good light. Of course my intolerance is common to passionate believers of any stripe and it never deters me from spreading the good news .

And it really is good news because our fascination rarely if ever harms, and often genuinely benefits the Flashaholic and those around him. I'm sure that many of us can relate incidents where our lights made a real difference, sometimes a critical difference, especially in the case of our LEO's and others in vital public service. @@@ OK

So, getting back to the title of this thread I'll try to figure out how many Flashaholics I've "created" or "converted". First a definition:

FLASHAHOLIC:
Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the purchase and/or modification of these lights.

There are different degrees of Flashaholic involvement but I believe that in order to be a true or full Flashaholic you must be certified, and that certification can only be attained through membership in CPF along with at least occasional reading of threads.

Based on that definition I unfortunately can't claim any true or full Flashaholic conversions, but there have been several partial ones.

Two partial Flashaholics
Two doormen in my building who at times were among witnesses for some review tests. One just bought a Magcharger (I told him about the new bulb) and is expressing interest in the Tigerlight FBOP. The other bought a 2L and two Photon II's

One partial Flashaholic
My girlfriend who I often use as a test witness. She began simply to humor me but has developed a genuine interest and recently asked me for something other than the 2L I gave her on our second date (several years ago). I showed her many lights and she especially liked the 1x123 ARC's, but wasn't happy with the price when I told her she'd have to buy it herself. She also liked the MiniMag BB & MM but decided to stay with the 2L.

Four partial Flashaholics
Colleagues: They started out with derisive but good natured humor but became impressed and interested when I started using them as witnesses for my "vertical throw tests" on adjacent tall buildings during evening work hours. They were intrigued by the D3 + SRTH/N2, marveled at the US and Tigerlight and were in disbelieving awe at the M6. But the light that gave them the most pleasure was the MagCharger with standard "brighter" bulb, because they enjoyed spotlighting distant objects and innocent pedestrians. One said he "felt like a sniper". Three of them bought lights, 2L's and X5 Classics with skateboard tape I put on the heads for them, plus possibly one or two ARC AAA's.

The fourth was an odd case. There was a fire in his Grandmother's house with severe damage and loss of electricity. No one was hurt but there were missing papers and valuables. He quietly, almost surreptitiously approached me at work to borrow a light. I had a bunch in my desk and gave him two 2l's with a pair of extra batteries. The next day he just as quietly returned them, and I said to keep one as a present which made him happy but he then said these exact words: "You don't have to mention this to anyone, OK?" What could I say?

Assorted other partial Flashaholics

I've given AAA's, 2L's and Photon II's to most of my close friends and family. For some reason, just like my girlfriend they were less interested in Mag AAs with assorted dropins even though I offered to do the setup for them. I can't figure out this reluctance, but the 2L was always an instant hit. It seems to be the perfect gift (black almost always preferred by both men and women) and I've stocked up on them. Photons have been the second most popular followed by the Arc AAA.

Total partial Flashaholics created

It's hard to find an exact figure, but I'd say a solid dozen is pretty close.

How many Flashaholics or Partial Flashaholics have you created/converted, and under what circumstances?

Brightnorm

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How has your Flashaholism influenced others?

One. This person likes to take apart stuff for the sake of understanding what the heck it does. He's a hardcore experimentor, and my flashaholicism has rubbed off on him. He's planning to get an Arc AAA, and I told him: "You can't get the damn head open!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

My sister asked for something for her keychain after seeing my Dads Pelican 1AAA Mini mity lite (which we got when he asked for a water resistent fishing light) and so I gave her a coin cell light SIMILAR to Photon (but can't remember which one). Neither would even DREAM of visiting CPF however.

Buddy saw my Madmax mini enough times that he finally bought one for me to fix up for him. He also will never visit CPF.

But all three just might be influenced next time they need a light...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I can say I have converted one of the most impossible people to convert to an LED based light...

---My roommate...

He would not touch an LED light, for fear of it being just an LED... His premonition of an LED was the little lights you see on the computer on/off buttons. He even initially refused to believe that the 5W Side Emitter LS was actually an LED... He thought it was just a cleverly constructed incandescent... He owned a blue minimag, and thought that was all the light he needed. And he bought a 4D Maglight for its "powerful" beam...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

What pushed him over the top was when he needed a light, and I gave him my McLux...

Apparently, that did it... Now, he has a few BB400/500s and he even bought a spare headlamp from me...

ChrisA

Enlightened

I have given some Arc AAAs, with glowrings and assorted knives to my family and buddies... Some of them were pretty sceptic in the beginning but I recently noticed during a nighttime-bbq that all of them carry at least the Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I plan on giving some of them LS based lights as soon as the new Streamlights hit the shelves here.

Chris

Smaug

Newly Enlightened

I would have to say no complete converts yet.

My brother is a partial. Like brightnorm said, they are reluctant to believe what they see for some reason. They don't want to be associated with me, who is way too 'into' them. They just want to quietly have one and be done with it. They also don't want me to say "Aha! You see?"

So I will keep giving them as gifts. My first LED light gifts were some Victorinox Signature II's. It is basically a Victorinox Classic (gentleman's knife) with a retractable ballpoint pen and red LED light, which is activated by pushing the shield. It is the perfect EDC for people who are not really into lights or knives, but might occasionally benefit from either.

This year, there will be a barrage of LED light gifts. I think an LEDCORP LED for my brother's 3D Maglite, a PrincetonTec Aurora for my dad and grandpa, and something 'purseable' and affordable for my mom, sister, and brother in law.

I think that will make several more partial conversions. People I know are not as likely to go hog wild for something as I am, so they will probably never become full-on flashaholics, but I'm sure they will appreciate them every time they are used. Of course, they won't mention that when they are giving me flak about what a geek I am... That is OK, because I know that I will have won in my heart, hehehe.

The Streamlight Stylus is now on the way to Poland to my girlfriend, who is a doctor doing an internship in a hospital. She starts in the Pediatrics ward next month, and I think that she will soon have a whole new respect for my hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't "converted" anyone to flashaholism, but I like to think that I have "educated" some of those around me.

This topic almost seems to beg the question: "Is flashaholism born or bred?"

Lara

Newly Enlightened

I have given away some Led Lensers (V9), and people really like them. But most of them hesitate when they learn about the price of the X5T, let alone the Surefires. I do have infected one guy, though. I showed him my M2 (HOLA) at an outdoor party (on the banks of a river at night), and the next time I saw him (~4 days later), he pulls out a C2 with HOLA. Now I'm thinking of getting an M3 or M4...

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I'm going to add my brother to the list. Last year I gave him a D3/P91 and a 2L for his birthday. He thought the 2L was "kind of cute" but both he and his wife, who live in a suburb felt the D3 was "too bright for the neighborhood"!

Well, they just came back from a vacation raving about the 2L which they used every day and they now thought the D3 with P91 was amazingly bright but that it ate batteries much too fast. (I had given them a 12-pack of SureFires).

I think they, or at least he could now qualify as partial flashaholics.

Add 1 or 1 1/2 to my list!

Brightnorm

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am going to reverse this.... I was converted by a non-flashaholic a few years back. A friend gave me a Photon I and I thought that was cool. So small. The next year, I received a PALight. Note... received. I thought that was nifty too. Somehow, something sparked some time after that and that was all that was needed....

bwcaw

Enlightened

I "converted" one of my buddies. He saw my M2 and Arc ls a while back and thought they were pretty neat. He now has an e2e, several arc aaa's, and an Ultrastinger, and is a member of CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So far it looks like I am the only one who has completely converted a non flashaholic to a CPF member. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually I think it was my flashlights that converted him. It is nice to have a fellow flashaholic near me that I can talk lights with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I have converted a few people but none of them have really got the bug until yesterday.

I had a customer notice my E2E yesterday and wanted to take a look. He checked out the brightness and was most impressed. He then told me he is a retired firefighter and has always been a flashlight nut and it might be hard to understand but he has it really bad, his wife seconded that comment. I then gave him a demo. of my ARC AAA, CMG Ultra, ARC LS, Pelican L1, a rundown of Surefire, a detailed description of the E2E and then brought him here to CPF. i showed him a few websites and some must have other lights. Needless to say he was overwhelmed. I told him what's needed for his "real" starter kit. I would be a little surprised if he didn't join today. It would be nice if he saw this thread and commented. If you're out there Hank welcome aboard and glad you shared your obsession, you are not alone.