Newbie needs help modding aspheric Maglite

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I want to build an aspherical 3D maglite. I have ordered the aspheric lens here at Kiadomain but they don't ever have any of the Maglite Q5 drop-ins in stock. Is there another place I can find a responsibly priced drop-in (Q5 or R2) to complete this mod? or would I need to custom build one?

Thanx
hugo2x

Nos

Enlightened
you can find that dropin on kaidomain too ;)
KD offered a complete set (dropin+lens) for a even lower price............. but seems to be sold out:poof:

now you will need to buy a dhs heatsink, a XR-E R2, and a boost driver (depends on batterie solution)

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I have some wide voltage DX p60 R2 drop-ins laying around that I can use for for parts. Where is a good place to find a dhs heat sink?

Also, is Where can I find a 1.2A driver?:grin2:

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I got it working without the KD q5 drop in with some stuff I had lying around, I just soldered a R2 in the place of the standard Mag slug's 3W led (k2?) and It works pretty good. I don't think the MagLed driver will drive the R2 to its full potential but it'll have to do for now until KD gets some more Q5 drop-ins in stock hopefully. It's definitely not winning any beauty contests but it works and transfers heat pretty well:nana:

SDC10697.jpg

SDC10696.jpg

SDC10702.jpg

It focuses really well!
SDC10703.jpg

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the MagLed driver will drive the R2 to its full potential but it'll have to do for now until KD gets some more Q5 drop-ins in stock hopefully. It's definitely not winning any beauty contests but it works and transfers heat pretty well:nana:​

I PM'd Jerry about the Q5 drop in, and he doesn't plan on having another run. I was using these (6 total) to make affordable aspheric throwers for a a group of firefighters. The last one I built was using the H22A DHS Heatsink (found in the link) and a 3 mode DX Driver. The price to assemble it was just a few bucks more, with a better WOW factor.
$2.94 driver, $14.00 heatsink (ordered a pair), a $9.99 Q5 XR-E, a little soldering and some wire. Less than $30 and some time.
IMG_7305.jpg

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
Thanx aircraft800 for finding out this info. I gues I'll just have to go the fun way and build a nice one myself

But before I start ordering parts,
What's the advantage of the anodized heat sink vs the bare aluminum? Won't bare alluminum transfer heat better?

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I got all the parts in finally and got this bad boy together.
I works excellently when playing night disk golf. I can really light up the baskets from an incredible distance!
I know, I know this is all old news but I am very impressed with the results.

Now that I have compared the new one with the old I have serious doubt that my first mod was an R2 led (possibly P4?) because of the difference in
beam divergence. as seen on last picture.
SDC10816.jpg

SDC10812.jpg

New one is always on the left

SDC10820.jpg

The R2 on the left is much tighter square than older model on the right, its just much brighter and the camera over exposes it.

SDC10833.jpg

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I didn't see your post about the ano. It isolates the anode and cathode on the back of the emitter. You can also clip the corners off where the vias connect the top and bottom terminals. Looks like you used the H22A like I did. I am very pleased with the quality of these.

Nice work on your Aspherical Mag!! I'll bet you'll like that one much better than the other:D

What 1.2A driver did you use? I need one for my next build. Did you get the R2 from Cutter?

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I used this driver as you suggested earlier and it works great. I will probably go for a non memory mode once I convert over the other flashlight. as for the R2, I just bought a p60 type drop-in module. I turned the stove top up to full power and set the back of the star board on it. in about 3 seconds the led came right off and left all it solder behind on the board. :grin2:

Beam Guru

Newly Enlightened
I'm also interested in doing this mod, I found the driver and heatsink, thank you for the lnks...DealExtreme has the LED on a star base? Will this work?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394

I've never done anything like this, and the picture you posted looks different, it that just the heat sink epoxy around the lense, covering the star shap?
Thanks, i'm really looking forward to doing this.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP used a bare emitter (without the star) for his build.
What you can do is buy the DX R2 and remove the emitter from the star board