Fenix L2D Q5 Questions?

crockett

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light with the following requirements:

-AA batteries (prefer that it takes recharables). 2 X AA is fine. I'm looking for brightness. If there is a brighter 1 AA light then that is fine..but I'm guessing no.
-Multi-Mode 3 or + is fine.
-Comes with a belt holster
-$60 or less.
-Fairly small. We'll say less than 8" but smaller would be better.

I've come across the Fenix L2D Q5. However, it isn't even listed on Fenix's site. Why is this? Should I avoid this light?

Any other suggestions that meet this criteria?

Thanks.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD20 is the new version of the L2D, I think the L2D has been discontinued. I have two L2D's and several other Fenix lights and am pretty happy with them, but I like the Quark and Nitecore lights also. Surefire lights are nice if you can afford them.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really no reason to avoid the L2D, it's a fine light and very popular here(only critique I can come up with from the top of my head is that some models flash when turned on in a low mode, but why not just hold your hand over the light if you want to preserve night vision then...)
Although I would highly recommend that you check this thread out:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890
Not sure if the latest 2AA offering is covered in that thread, but you can check that one out here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234960
And
:welcome:

Ares

Newly Enlightened
As others have stated, the L2D has basically been discontinued. I personally have an L1D that I absolutely love. You can get other bodies for the L1D (1xAA), L2D (2xAA), and P2D (1xCR123). Basically all the heads and bodies between those three models are interchangeable. The heads between the three models use the same circuitry, so my L1D in a L2D's body is practically identical to an original L2D (provided the LEDs are from the same bin, which I won't get into here).

Personally, I use the L1D, but use a P2D body with a rechargeable RCR123A. If I want to use AA's, I use my original L1D body, or my L2D body, depending on the runtime I need. I highly recommend this light, although I haven't checked out any of the newer ones lately (for my bank account's sake).

As far as the holsters go, I have the original L1D holster. I honestly like how the L1D with a P2D's body fits into that holster, but I've never tried any other holster. I like how it fits in that holster with its original L1D body, as well.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Fenix L2D CE and LD20. The LD20 are the replacement of the discontinued L2D line. The LD20 is bright, and probably around 6 inches in length. I like the design better than my L2D, actually. It won't roll around on you and has knurling so it isn't so slippery. If the Quark line was available back when I bought the LD20 then I would have gotten that instead because of several design features, especially the really low mode and the warm tint option. There are a number of really good AA flashlight options now. Most of them are really close in output on the same battery source, so you need to think of the UI you want.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get the L2D cheaper because of it being discontinued go for that, it's a great light (I have one myself). But if you're paying full price, might want to go for the Quark AA^2 which comes in right at your limit $$ wise.

crockett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys, all this info really helped.

I believe I've settled on the following:

Fenix L2D or LD20 (I'll decide at purchase)
Quark AA2
Eagletac P10A2

Buy each of them over next couple months....

Now I'm off to post a thread for a bright general two mode flashlight that runs on eneloop AAs for under $50.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Fenix TK20 :thumbsup:

Definitely take a look at the Fenix TK20, as it has 2 modes and a nice neutral/warm tint that most people love. Also, for a 2 mode light you could go with a Quark tactical. They are 2 mode lights that are programmable. So you can select any of the modes available as your primary and secondary mode.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D Premium Q5 is still my favourite out of all the 2AA torches I have. I feel that the amount of spot and spill is perfect. I will be getting another one as soon as the fire sales start on them. Well, even if they dont, I need to get another one or two

polkiuj

Enlightened
Quark AA^2
Quark AA
Quark AA^2 tactical
Quark AA tactical

You can make the 1AA bright with li-ion.

They come in neutral tints as well. Can't be beat for the price. The beam is just too perfect to care about other lights (unless you wanna spend a lot more). =D

passive101

Enlightened
Quark AA^2
Quark AA
Quark AA^2 tactical
Quark AA tactical

You can make the 1AA bright with li-ion.

They come in neutral tints as well. Can't be beat for the price. The beam is just too perfect to care about other lights (unless you wanna spend a lot more). =D

I think the neutrals are over as it's past the 24th.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help guys, all this info really helped.

I believe I've settled on the following:

Fenix L2D or LD20 (I'll decide at purchase)
Quark AA2
Eagletac P10A2

Buy each of them over next couple months....

Now I'm off to post a thread for a bright general two mode flashlight that runs on eneloop AAs for under $50.

You should check BST (buy,sell,trade) at CPF Marketplace.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I just bought P3D Q5 on there yesterday. I bought the P3D because it has a lower medium level than the PD30 and has longer runtime.