is my pentagon X2 waterproof?

xd-shawn

Newly Enlightened
i dont mean splashed i'm talking submerged here i know they're double o-ring, i need a submercible light and i figure this one is my best bet, if not i'll post a list of what else i have and mabye you guys can help out

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
How deep do you plan on going? Without this key point of information it's hard to say what light is suitable for your needs.

PentagonLight doesn't offer a depth rating on their website. If I had to guess I think it'll survive at least 10-20 feet underwater with no problem. That's just my opinion, though.

xd-shawn

Newly Enlightened
How deep do you plan on going? Without this key point of information it's hard to say what light is suitable for your needs.

PentagonLight doesn't offer a depth rating on their website. If I had to guess I think it'll survive at least 10-20 feet underwater with no problem. That's just my opinion, though.

oh it wont be going deep just for snorkling 10ft max

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

If that's the case it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just lubricate the o-rings and threads and you should be good to go.:twothumbs

If any water seeps in, take it apart and let it air dry for a few days.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will need a light capable of 30-50 feet if not more. Even though you will only be going 10 feet max, the light will see higher water pressure when you are swimming,ocean current, or hits something like a rock. Thats why dive rated watches and lights are rated for crazy depths that most diver will not see, you need to compensate for water pressure when moving around.

Do not let double o-rings fool you. Zebra headlamps have double o-rings and are known to leak.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A simple way to check would be to remove the module/LA and cells. Reassemble, Tie it to a rope and dunk it for 20 minutes however deep you want. Pull it back out, dry the outside thoroughly and inspect the inside for water leakage.

The www site says its double O-ring'd to keep out water, but theres still the forward momentary switch and front lens area. I have lights for example that are very water tight all around with tight fitting O-rings except for the front lens... or switch boot. So just because its got a bunch of O-rings around the body tube ends, does not mean its completely water tight.

If it is water tight, and its a twist switch it should NOT be twisted on or off while submerged. The vaccuum created by twisting the cap in/out and twisting/sliding motion of the O-rings can suck water into the light, past the O-rings.

IMHO you are better off getting a dive-rated light. But then agian the nice thing about P60 hosts is that they are completely re-buildable.

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simple way to check would be ......Tie it to a rope and dunk it for 20 minutes however deep you want...............................IMHO you are better off getting a dive-rated light.......................

Throwing it into a deep pool of water will not test water pressure from motion, which is were most of the problem comes from.

I do agree you are better off buying a cheap dive rated flashlight like a princeton tec

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The www site says its double O-ring'd to keep out water, but theres still the forward momentary switch and front lens area. I have lights for example that are very water tight all around with tight fitting O-rings except for the front lens... or switch boot. So just because its got a bunch of O-rings around the body tube ends, does not mean its completely water tight.

The bezel and TC on a PentagonLight is made and sealed very well. They were specifically designed for special forces/military, so it should stand up to 10 ft. of water easily.:thinking:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
....They were specifically designed for special forces/military, so it should stand up to 10 ft. of water easily.:thinking:

Just because something is marketed as "tacitical" doesn't mean it can survive water submersion over a sustained time.

Its dangerous to assume that, and it miss-leads the OP... without actual testing or first hand user accounts to back it up. No where on the pentagonlight www site do they specify it is capable of sustained submersible water resistance.

The poster above makes a valid point in that water pressure and vacuums surrounding a submersed object varies depending on whether it is stationary or in motion. So at 10 feet its going to see more pressure variation when in motion.

I made my post above, urging the OP to just try it out since I am very confident no one has any first hand experience using these lights submerged. Theres no harm in pulling the cells + module and giving it a dunk to test it first.

There is a REAL safety concern here, since we are dealing with Lithium cell chemistry combined with high current draw from an incandescent LA. To suggest the OP go ahead and swim with it without having him validate its water resistance first is (literally) playing with fire. If that light were to take on water, he could end up with a pipe bomb 3-4 inches from the family jewels.

In light of this (no pun intended) I still think the OP is better off buying a dive-rated light.... Just my opinion.

**edit**
Product link here...
http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.315

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aside from assumptions, how do you know whether a Pentagonlight has questionable seals on the front lens and switch boot?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from assumptions, how do you know whether a Pentagonlight has questionable seals on the front lens and switch boot?

When a manufacture does not publish water depth rating it becomes questionable.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

1- Its not advertised as being water submersible.
2- There are no first hand user accounts of it surviving, being used in such environments.
3- Until something is tested, it remains questionable.

All I am saying is that IMHO the OP is better off playing it SAFE, and either test it thoroughly, or not use it in such conditions. Lithium cells can be explosive and dangerously toxic should they vent.... there is NO assumptions on this. To the best of my knowledge no one has tested the safety of CR123 Lithium cells when subject to water. Recommending someone to use a light in an untested condition, of questionable safety puts them at risk of injury.

These are just my personal opinions, Its the OPs' choice to do as they wish.

Last edited: