Upgrading and need advice

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
Currently have a Surefire G2. Love the light, but wanting a little more. Applications for use will revolve around hunting and fishing purposes.

I don't know much about flashlights (and am honestly a little intimidated reading some posts on here...) but am wanting a light this is brighter than the G2, rechargable, and still compact. Am looking for suggestions from you gurus. So far, the Streamlight Strion C4 LED has my vote.

Thank you in advance.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:...It can be a little overwhelming at first, but as far as recommendations, you already have the base of the most modular light system there is. I'd recommend getting a metal bezel (6P bezel) off the marketplace, and a malkoff m-60. Eventually you'd want to get an AN-14 extender/B65 battery and Charger to make it rechargeable, and then there's tons of ways to get the light you want. Add a KL3/KL5, filters/diffusers, you name it. I'm sure others will chime in as to there fav's, but this is what i have, and it works excellent.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
I LOVE my G2 but if its brightness and rechargeable you want, the solarforce L2 is an excellent choice, its a surefire clone, but it accepts the RCR123 as well as the 18650 (forever runtime) I payed half the price of my G2L and got the flashlight, a holster, 2 RCR123s and a recharger for them on ebay. However, purchasing rechargeables and a malkoff device (up to 400+ lumens, pending the model) separately for your G2 is another option albeit more costly. Solarforce lights are pretty well regarded and I think the 1 mode R2 option will be putting out about 200 lumens. Thats over twice as bright at the G2L stock. The bulb assemblies are all interchangeable as well, so if you want the brighter lamp in your G2, switch away! Its hard to find a drop-in, rechargeables, and a charger for your G2 for less than these combo kits (i would say impossible) for the same price. These are my suggestions if you want to maintain the same size, malkoff is VERY highly esteemed, so the quality is worth the money, but the L2 is a good "starter kit" so you don't have to buy everything separately. (you will upgrade later lol)lovecpf

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out a Inova T4 with cradle charger, if you can get by with using rechargeable batterys like the 18650 size look into a Olight M30 Triton it has a lot of bright flood or a Eagletac T100C2 that provides a very tight hotspot with very good throw. I would highly suggest you don't limit yourself to a cradle charging light's if you want to recharge just get some good rechargeable battery's and a charger. I'm not saying cradle charging lights are a bad thing because I have a couple great one's myself. Its just best not to limit yourself to it. Best of luck and welcome to CPF

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the found the RA Clicky to be ideal for hunting & fishing! Have lots of lights but the RA is just so versatile and reliable!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you using the light for while hunting and fishing?
Just wondering why you need more brightness.
I'd get a Malkoff M60WLF to stick in that G2, and some AW R123s, and live happily ever after.

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
Basically, need it launching the boat before light (which i do 95% of the time), setting out decoys when duck hunting, coming out of the woods deer hunting, and use as a spotlight for running the boat in the dark in a pinch. Had a sears craftsman rechargable (sounds corny, but man what a light!) that just died on me, and trying to get a do it all light. Just nice not having to worry about battery life from a rechargable standpoint.

THanks for the advice guys!

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
just ordered a Dorcy 220 LED off amazon for $40. not a top of the line light i know, but looks to be worth the money... anxious to get it and try it out.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently have a Surefire G2. Love the light, but wanting a little more. Applications for use will revolve around hunting and fishing purposes.

I don't know much about flashlights (and am honestly a little intimidated reading some posts on here...) but am wanting a light this is brighter than the G2, rechargable, and still compact. Am looking for suggestions from you gurus. So far, the Streamlight Strion C4 LED has my vote.

Thank you in advance.
Replace the bezel of your G2 with the new KL3 or KL5A head from SureFire. That's the easiest thing you can do.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
If you're going to use the light outdoors, I'd recommend a warm (sometimes called "neutral") LED. These renders colors like green and brown much better than traditional LEDs. But then, I'm just a fan of those warm tints, so take my advice with a grain of salt... :)

Some good options are the Fenix TK20, the Malkoff M60W, or a RaLight Clicky. The Malkoff is a simple dropin that replaces the current bulb in your SF G2, but roughly triples the output and allows you to use rechargeable batteries. (Remember that because of the way our eyes work, you'll need 4 times the lumens for something to appear twice as bright). And all of these lights can take rechargeables: the TK20 uses NiMH AA batteries, while the Malkoff M60 and RaLights use R123s.

Since you're going to be using the light for both setting up decoys and spotting distant deer or running the boat on the river, you may want a light that has two or more levels of light - a low and a hi. The TK20 and RaLight offer this; the M60 doesn't. (That said, the M60's beam pattern is still one of my favorites on any light).

Ultimately, I think the TK20 offers a pretty good balance on all these features. And, just based on the specs, the Strion you'd mentioned looks like a good light. (While I've never used that exact model, I've used many other Streamlights - and it's definitely a manufacturer I'd trust.)

I'm sure others will chime in with more great ideas, so keep reading the thread! I'll be interested to see what people come up with as well. If you have a price limit, that may also help us point you in the right direction...

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to use the light outdoors, I'd recommend a warm (sometimes called "neutral") LED. These renders colors like green and brown much better than traditional LEDs. But then, I'm just a fan of those warm tints, so take my advice with a grain of salt... :)

Some good options are the Fenix TK20, the Malkoff M60W, or a RaLight Clicky. The Malkoff is a simple dropin that replaces the current bulb in your SF G2, but roughly triples the output and allows you to use rechargeable batteries. (Remember that because of the way our eyes work, you'll need 4 times the lumens for something to appear twice as bright). And all of these lights can take rechargeables: the TK20 uses NiMH AA batteries, while the Malkoff M60 and RaLights use R123s.

Since you're going to be using the light for both setting up decoys and spotting distant deer or running the boat on the river, you may want a light that has two or more levels of light - a low and a hi. The TK20 and RaLight offer this; the M60 doesn't. (That said, the M60's beam pattern is still one of my favorites on any light).

Ultimately, I think the TK20 offers a pretty good balance on all these features. And, just based on the specs, the Strion you'd mentioned looks like a good light. (While I've never used that exact model, I've used many other Streamlights - and it's definitely a manufacturer I'd trust.)

I'm sure others will chime in with more great ideas, so keep reading the thread! I'll be interested to see what people come up with as well. If you have a price limit, that may also help us point you in the right direction...

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S.
Remember that the OP has a G2, not a 6P. So these high-powered LED modules such as the M60 are not recommended at all.

A bezel replacement is his best and easiest option.

jaundice

Enlightened
I have the exact same light you do, a surefire G2, and went through exactly what you're going through now.

After a lot of research, and understanding your needs, I would first get a Malkoff M60WL or M60WLL. Basically, the model number breaks down like this:

M60 is the type of LED module. It'll fit in your G2 or similar light.

W means the led is "warm". It shows color better than "cooler" leds, but overall output is a bit less.

L or LL is the intensity of the beam. The L puts out about 120 lumens for 4 hours on a set of 2 CR123 batteries. The LL puts out about 80 lumens for 18 hours on a set of CR123 batteries. These led modules are regulated, so they'll put out a constant beam for the entire run, until the batteries die down below a certain level, and the led will begin to dim. Contrast this to your P60 bulb currently in your light. That puts out 65 lumens for 1 hour, but it dims continuously the whole time. I have both the L and LL versions, and my favorite is the LL.

The plain M60 (no L or LL) is the first and most powerful version. It puts out about 240 lumens, but only for 1.5 hours on 2 CR123 batteries. It also runs much hotter than the L or LL. You'll need to replace your bezel with a metal version. The L or LL run just fine with a plastic bezel. Personally, this is probably too much light for what you're doing. You don't want to put out too much light and alert your prey.

If you get an LL version, you probably won't see much value in going rechargeable, at first. You can get CR123 batteries for $1.50 each online, including shipping. That's 18 hours of constant, regulated light, for $3. The brighter versions quickly eat batteries, and rechargeables quickly pay for themselves.

One last thing. Malkoffs come in a a Flood or non-Flood version (ie, M60WLF). Flood means there's no hotspot in the center of the beam, but the light is uniformly bright from edge to edge. This is great for up-front tasks, but in my opinion, not what you want. In launching a boat and navigating in the dark, you want to be able to shine your light and see stuff in the distance. A flood light will shorten the distance you can see (called "throw").

Malkoff drop-in modules often go up for sale on the marketplace. That's where I've purchased 2 of the 4 I own. If you decide to buy directly from Malkoff, note that there's a 10% off coupon code for forum members.

Once you decide to go rechargeable, Lithium Ion batteries are the way to go. I would go for a 17670 battery and charger.

Good luck!

-John

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Remember that the OP has a G2, not a 6P. So these high-powered LED modules such as the M60 are not recommended at all.

A bezel replacement is his best and easiest option.

Excellent point! The original draft of my post suggested a M60WL; when I reread his post and realized he wanted lots of power, I switched it to the M60...but totally forgot that this would impact his Nitrolon body. Great catch, Outdoors Fanatic!

The M60 warm low is actually a phenomenal dropin, and the one I use myself; 4+ hours of warm LED goodness from a tiny 2-cell SF body is tops in my book. :twothumbs

- FITP

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
awesome info guys - keep it coming!

thanks for spoonfeeding it too as i had no idea there was so much info on flashlights... i've now read through these posts about a dozen times, and now its starting to all sink in..

hoping i didn make a mistake with the dorcy, but seeing how it was only $40 (and the wife doesnt know about it) i don't think i'm quite through yet....

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an easy and simple way to make your existing G2 brighter and rechargeable:

2x AW R123A cells
1x SureFire P90
1x Li-Ion recharger (WF-139 or Pila)

The above will take you from 65 to 105 lumens with a rechargeable runtime of 30-40 minutes. You might buy a few extra R123A cells to keep on hand if you need more runtime.

Just don't accidently try firing up your existing P60 lamp with the rechargeable cells or it will go :poof:

:welcome:

-Robert