my ra clicky doesnt like rcr123's?

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know why my clicky doesn't perform on rcr123's? It works perfect on primaries? I bought 4 Tenergy cells with a charger, I have tried every cell? Low works, medium works, then when I turn on high it blinks for a second and goes back to medium.

Are the Tenergy cells junk? or is there a roblem wih my light? The cell are rated (so they say) at 900mah.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know why my clicky doesn't perform on rcr123's? It works perfect on primaries? I bought 4 Tenergy cells with a charger, I have tried every cell? Low works, medium works, then when I turn on high it blinks for a second and goes back to medium.

Are the Tenergy cells junk? or is there a roblem wih my light? The cell are rated (so they say) at 900mah.

They're junk batteries. HDS lights are very picky about the batteries they use. It's not that they don't work you just don't get the best performance out of them.

It's like buying a Lambo but you use regular gas on it. You want the best performance you need the best fuel source.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
They're junk batteries. HDS lights are very picky about the batteries they use. It's not that they don't work you just don't get the best performance out of them.

It's like buying a Lambo but you use regular gas on it. You want the best performance you need the best fuel source.
Makes sense.... Is there any rechargable cells you can recommend? Also on the website it says that rechargable li-ions are accepted, just might have lower run times. And it is that they dont work. my light wont turn on high?

BenjiBot

Enlightened
Protected RC123 by AW are popular, never had a problem with them. You can pick them up online from 4sevens

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Protected RC123 by AW are popular, never had a problem with them. You can pick them up online from 4sevens
Thanks, have you used them in your clicky with good results? Also do you think the charger is crap also?

BenjiBot

Enlightened
I don't own a Ra, but I've used AW's cells in many different lights without issues (other than due to my error). There is a battery sub-forum on this site where you can find out more about them and other RC123 options. There are also many threads on the various Ra lights and their user preferences. Don't know what charger you are using but the UltraFire rapid charger for 3.7V for lithium batteries works for me

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Ra, but I've used AW's cells in many different lights without issues (other than due to my error). There is a battery sub-forum on this site where you can find out more about them and other RC123 options. There are also many threads on the various Ra lights and their user preferences. Don't know what charger you are using but the UltraFire rapid charger for 3.7V for lithium batteries works for me
Thanks for the info. The Tenergy cells came with a tenergy charger. I do have the ultrafire charger too. Guess the only way to know is to try them, unless other RA owners can tell me?

paintballdad

Enlightened
By any chance did you buy the Tenergy 3.0v RCR123s? They come off the charger at 3.6v but their working voltage is 3.2v. The Ra might be thinking that the battery is getting low and therefore switching down to the next level. The Ra Lights sense the type of battery you are using, setting the built in overdischarge protection with rechargeables. The 3.0v RCR123s are probably setting the over discharge protection when first inserted but quickly drops down in voltage during use making the Ra think the battery is getting low.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
By any chance did you buy the Tenergy 3.0v RCR123s? They come off the charger at 3.6v but their working voltage is 3.2v. The Ra might be thinking that the battery is getting low and therefore switching down to the next level. The Ra Lights sense the type of battery you are using, setting the built in overdischarge protection with rechargeables. The 3.0v RCR123s are probably setting the over discharge protection when first inserted but quickly drops down in voltage during use making the Ra think the battery is getting low.
Yes those are the ones.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
I can personally attest to the fact that AWs RCR123A's work excellently in the Clicky. I feed my light an AWs and it thoroughly enjoys it.
Thats what I wanted to here! Thanks

paintballdad

Enlightened

Yes those are the ones.

Then that is the cause of your problem. It's not that the batteries are junk (although they aren't the best) but they aren't supported by the Ra. The 3.0v RCR123s were meant as a replacement for primary CR123s in lights that do not support rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Also the 3.0v RCR123s use a different charger than those for 3.6v Li-ions. Unless it's one of the chargers that have a selector switch for both.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Then that is the cause of your problem. It's not that the batteries are junk (although they aren't the best) but they aren't supported by the Ra. The 3.0v RCR123s were meant as a replacement for primary CR123s in lights that do not support rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Also the 3.0v RCR123s use a different charger than those for 3.6v Li-ions. Unless it's one of the chargers that have a selector switch for both.

You are 100% correcty friend. I threw them in my fenix t1, just for fun, the thing lit up like a Christmas tree. Mayber there not so bad. I was just using them for the wrong application.

callmaster

Enlightened
Same here.

I was wondering. How long would the charge last if you didn't touch the light for a bit and it was using RCR123s? I have a few of those and it just doesn't work as well as CR123s. I charge the battery, use it for a day or so and the next day it's dead. Tried it with all three RCR123s. The CR123s. I could not touch the light for a month and it's just as good as the day I put the battery in.

Pretty weird.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't go wrong with AW's RCR123.....lately I've been using Batterystation's RCR123's and they work great as well!!