Streamlight ProPoly no new emitters

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an email from Streamlight no plans to update the emitters in the ProPoly line for at least 6 months....I love my 4AA and the 3C with Lux I. Is like 3 plus years since these lights have not been upgraded. I wish they just upgrade them sooner.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
The Luxeon 4AA is still one of the best throwers i have and the output is still quite amazing for a Lux I emitter. I'm waiting for an upgraded Led too. I hope to see an R2 in one one of those, should be blindingly bright.

The one I have is a single mode one, but i think a multimode will be very useful to conserve on batteries. From memory, I think they did make a 2 mode one.

I like the side by side configuration of the battery in the 4AA making it easy to carry in the hand.

These days polymer lights seem to be less and less popular on CPF, and the big names Princeton tec, Pelican, Streamlight, UK seem less mentioned.

Thanks for letting us know.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man just imagine an XP-E in one of these. In a neutral tint. Driven at the same level as the Lux version. I'm pretty sure that won't happen though. A K2 however is a likely canidate and would still be cool.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm wrong, but this light is only 40 lumens right?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I've always been very interested in this light, but it just seems so outdated. Hopefully they will put a new emitter in it.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked one up on B/S/T for $20. Going to be my new car light. I would like to see a Seoul as well, but the Lux 1 works. I had one before, and the bezel cracked on it twice so I sold it. Hopefully this one will be better.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love an SSC 4AA propoly. I'd snap one up in a second!

Perhaps SL is sitting on 6 month's worth of luxeon model inventory that needs to be cleared before ordering or manufacturing more.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Streamlight should just C4 all their Luxeon era lights!! either way the runtime or output will increase.

:sleepy:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded my 2 Propolys with SSC P4s and am delighted with them. The mod is a PITA however. It's documented in an old thread.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
stuff it with NiMH, I've lost one in the car with Alkalines:(

Yeah, same here. Problem is, I just can't justify replacing it nowadays. While I love the form factor, the outdated emitter is a deal breaker.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the Propoly needs to be updated...yet..I have yet to find something wrong with it. (

There doesn't really need to be anything wrong with it, updating will just make it better, you could have about double brightness or runtime or even 50% brighter and 50% longer running or whatever they wish to do. They've updated other lights that seemed to have nothing wrong with them, why not the Propolys?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
every time i log in here there is a new LED/driver/battery/etc, I can't imagine it would be smart to retool a production line till this new stuff wears off a bit, it just wouldn't make sense, trying to keep up with technology would send them bankrupt...except for the few of us here no one really cares/knows better as long as it works :(

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
every time i log in here there is a new LED/driver/battery/etc, I can't imagine it would be smart to retool a production line till this new stuff wears off a bit, it just wouldn't make sense, trying to keep up with technology would send them bankrupt...except for the few of us here no one really cares/knows better as long as it works :(

They don't seem to have a problem doing it with other lights, unless they have a bunch of luxeons left and decide that the PP will get the "hand me down" so to speak emitters while the rest get updated. From SL's responses it doesn't even seem like they are working on a reflector for a different emitter, it sounds like they have lots of leftovers.

toolpig1

Enlightened
I had quite a few of these lights and just sold three on MP, but I'm definitely keeping a few. My motivation was simple, someday when Streamlight offers a new emitter, I don't want to be holding a half dozen of the Luxeon 1.

Having said that, the Lux 1 along with a great reflector really works. I don't care that the light is rated at 40 lumens. I've got other lights rated more than double the lumens, but can't out throw the Propoly. Besides the noteworthy throw, I love the clickie switch on this light. I can't think of a switch on any other light that feels better.

The proliferation of lights featuring Cree lamps is nothing short of amazing. Of course, you have to be able to feel good about sending more of your money to China. Streamlight, Inova, and Pelican initially attracted me with their USA made products. I'm sorry to see some of their newer models coming from oversees. I hope they stay domestic when they do upgrade.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
\
The proliferation of lights featuring Cree lamps is nothing short of amazing. Of course, you have to be able to feel good about sending more of your money to China. Streamlight, Inova, and Pelican initially attracted me with their USA made products. I'm sorry to see some of their newer models coming from oversees. I hope they stay domestic when they do upgrade.

The K2 TFFC is American and if I'm not mistaken, all of Streamlight's made in USA lights use the K2. I believe the ProPolys are made in the USA.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
That sucks!

I love my 4AA Propoly, but would love see one of the newer emitters stuffed in there. Talk about throw!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
every time i log in here there is a new LED/driver/battery/etc, (
not really true!
The last year there were almost no improvements at the best single die led,
and the Lux III is outdated 3 years (with a led boom that begun about 4 years ago).
"outdated" is a much too weak word and still putting that thing in, is ... :thinking:

but there hopefully will be another "jump" in short, with Cree's new led.