NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: Spare bulb stowage in SF M6

Default Spare bulb stowage in SF M6

I just recently acquired a M6 and wasted no time outfitting it with FM's bi-pin bulb adapter, 3x17670 holder, and WA 1185 bulb. While playing with it the other day, I noticed the bulb and allen wrench fit nicely next to the battery pack inside the light (in respective non-conductive plastic baggies, of course)... Now I no longer fear the ~10 hours of bulb life!

Probably something y-all know by now, but I couldn't find it in print. Thanks FM for the great products!

BTW, I have not had the light get real hot on me yet, so I don't know if the little bulb bag will melt or not, but I'll keep an eye on it. I think I will have a hard time holding on to the light long before the bag has issues.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Spare bulb stowage in SF M6

Sounds like a cool idea. Any way you can post some pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
    ... Now I no longer fear the ~10 hours of bulb life!

10 hours of bulb life? ten? wow...maybe thats just for the "bigger" lights because other SF bulbs are supposed to last around 30 hours if im not mistaken!

Yellowlaugh Re: Spare bulb stowage in SF M6

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty007 View Post
    10 hours of bulb life? ten? wow...maybe thats just for the "bigger" lights because other SF bulbs are supposed to last around 30 hours if im not mistaken!
    yes Surefire lamps are supposed to last 30 hours, but the 1185 mentioned here is not a surefire lamp and it is being driven quite hard as well

its made by a company called "Welch Allyn"

You should be fine with the baggie in there. If the little baggie melts inside your M6, you have some serious problems and probably need to throw your M6 away somewhere safe due to it having a thermal meltdown. I have had my M6 on for long periods of time outside with the body only getting very warm, not hot. Nothing to worry about, (IMHO of course. )
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Looking for a Malkoff Titanium VME head.

Snow,
    I haven't quite figured out the whole posting pictures thing (don't know if I even can yet), so PM me and I'll e-mail you pics if you'd like. I'm practicing in the nub arena as we speak...

Socom1970,
    That's what I figured. I'd have to be pretty close to thermonuclear meltdown, and then the $.01 baggie or the mess created is the LEAST of my concerns!

There's actually room for several bulbs, so if you're REAL paranoid, stock up! Battery changes aren't that hard to accomplish. I did one today on top of a crane and didn't lose any pieces. The co-workers sure like my "portable spotlight"! I'll admit though that you shouldn't tell them the first time they see the M6 that they need to watch the element heat up...

Snow,
    I haven't quite figured out the whole posting pictures thing (don't know if I even can yet), so PM me and I'll e-mail you pics if you'd like. I'm practicing in the nub arena as we speak...

just upload the pic to a hosting site like tinypic.com, and then find the link that has [IMG] 123456789 [IMG/]
    max is 800 by 800 pixels
    Fenix: TK10, P2D Q5, LD01, L0P-SE, Nitecore D10, Inova X5, Surefire G2, Mag ROP-LE, Quark AA-Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by rockz4532 View Post
    just upload the pic to a hosting site like tinypic.com, and then find the link that has [IMG] 123456789 [IMG/]
    max is 800 by 800 pixels
    Thanks! Practicing...

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    yes Surefire lamps are supposed to last 30 hours, but the 1185 mentioned here is not a surefire lamp and it is being driven quite hard as well

its made by a company called "Welch Allyn"

Ahh, ok gotcha...i was a little confused there for a sec

Super Moderator

(spare) bulb and allen wrench fit nicely next to the battery pack inside the light
    Excellent idea - simple, safe and easy.
    Resistance is futile...

Nice idea, though i don't like there is a bulb and allen wrench near batteries. However you might consider having extra FM bipin socket fitted with new aligned WA1185 - ready to use stored with extra charged batteries.
    SF M6 | WildCat III | Polarion X1 | MD2+M61 | SF C2+M61

It never would have occurred to me there was that much room in there but sure enough there is. Thanks Oren1s.

Quote Originally Posted by oren1s View Post
    Nice idea, though i don't like there is a bulb and allen wrench near batteries. However you might consider having extra FM bipin socket fitted with new aligned WA1185 - ready to use stored with extra charged batteries.
    Sorry i was tired when wrote, just to be clear, i meant separated from the light, in some carrier.
    SF M6 | WildCat III | Polarion X1 | MD2+M61 | SF C2+M61

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    It never would have occurred to me there was that much room in there but sure enough there is. Thanks Oren1s isbj60.
    Great tip, I too figured there would not be enough room!

This thread gets added to the Compendium
    Will work for lights.