Need 3 flashlights for walks

computernut

Enlightened
Went out walking the dog on unlit trails tonight. I brought my A2 Y/G and my E2L. The E2L still had the original batteries from when I purchased it in March, the A2 was on it's second set from June. I had two Energizer swivels in the Jeep but decided that I didn't need them. My girlfriend grabbed the A2 but after playing with the Y/G she didn't like it and grabbed the E2L with the F04 diffuser. Half way through the walk the E2L dimmed so only the 3 lumen low would work. I laughed that it must have finally been time for the original set of batteries to die. She grabbed the A2 off me as I had flipped on the high incan and we walked a bit further. Then the incan dimmed! She was laughing that she only needed to touch a flashlight to kill it. I reassured her that we could complete our walk on the low beams no problem. I was hoping we wouldn't run into anything bigger than the rabbit we saw earlier ;)

So next time I'm packing 3 lights!

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
an extra light is always good to carry as a backup, however extra batteries are probably more helpful :D. I'd recommend rechargeable li-ions. You can use 2 AW IMR 123 batteries in your A2. I don't own an E2L, so I'm not sure on what batteries will work with that light.

computernut

Enlightened
an extra light is always good to carry as a backup, however extra batteries are probably more helpful :D. I'd recommend rechargeable li-ions. You can use 2 AW IMR 123 batteries in your A2. I don't own an E2L, so I'm not sure on what batteries will work with that light.

The spare batteries were at home of course. Another flashlight is way more fun than a set of batteries in your pocket ;)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
CountyComm and many other places sell a neat little 4 CR123 battery carrier that is very easy to carry. I think I have 3 of them at the moment.

I try to ALWAYS carry spare cells.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 flashlights for a walk is definately only done by flashaholics. :D

no, no, i disagree, him and the girlfriend and only 3 lights, that's 1 each and 1 spare. unacceptable IMHO. minimum 6 lights, 2 each and 1 spare :D

2 x Fenix E01 for backups

2 x something in 2xAA/2xCR123 or 2xRCR123

2 x EDC (maybe 1xAA or 1xCR123/RCR123 for consistency)

AND, spare cells

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I dog walk, I usually have a "big gun" light for main use (which doesn't have to be all that large, etc), and a single 123 sized EDC as backup. Led EDCs are better for backup than even additional cells, because if you have a light failure of some kind, the extra batts won't be of any help. But that's extreme.

If you go the extra cells route, I usually have a coin light somewhere on me or on my keys. Changing batteries in pitch black can be difficult for some models. An led coin light held in the teeth is a good on-the-go solution.

computernut

Enlightened
no, no, i disagree, him and the girlfriend and only 3 lights, that's 1 each and 1 spare. unacceptable IMHO. minimum 6 lights, 2 each and 1 spare :D

2 x Fenix E01 for backups

2 x something in 2xAA/2xCR123 or 2xRCR123

2 x EDC (maybe 1xAA or 1xCR123/RCR123 for consistency)

AND, spare cells

I like your thinking! :twothumbs

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hey I carry two myself during the day and at night time if I plan to walk I add another light to the mix. Now walks, fishing, or camping its all up for grabs. Whatever Ive got on me and then add whatever I feel the need to play with!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I avoid primary cells as you can just top up your rechargeables prior to use (or hitting the trail) that being said I'd have to recommend an 18650 form factor light, the EagleTac T100C2 Mark II @ around $50.00 would be a good investment as would any of the Jetbeam Jet-III series, should you desire some 'big gun' performance (in a small package) there's the Wolfeyes (580Lm) 6A MC-Explorer system which retails at $155.99 from PTS-flashlights.com OR the Jetbeam M1X :thumbsup:

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
I could advise either of these three lights: the Fenix P3D which has 65 hours of runtime on low (12 Lumens IIRC) or the Wolf Eyes MC-E Sniper, that runs for about 50 hours on a single 18650.
Or, you could take the Olight M20 Warrior premium which also has an enormous runtime on low on a single 18650.

All these lights are capable of giving a lot of light also when needed.

Here, the chance becomes very small indeed, your girlfriend will instantly kill it as soon as she grabs it :D
(Unless she decides to use the highest setting, with nearly depleted batteries...)
That Wolf eyes MC-E is a real consumer... it eats through a freshly charged good quality 18650 every HOUR on high :caution:

Timmo.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently carry for EDC (not for work): LS20, Haiku, Sapphire on a neck chain, and Inova X5 on my keys, which are always clipped to my belt-clip. If I am not carrying any spare 123's on me, I always have two spares in my X5. Very convenient and helpful. Always have spare cells and spare lights on you. "Two is one and one is none.":cool:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
lol dang, well thats a good harmless lesson learned!

i personally right now carry the p3D Q5, TK20, L1T, and E01.
Once my Quark Neutral tactical 2xAA comes thru, i'll stop carrying my TK20( took big for edc) and leave it in the car, and hand my p3d over to my gf. she right now has the p2d CE, e01 and freebie coin light ( i got to make sure she follows the rule of three also LOL )

oh yea i keep spare cells in a pelican case in the car. and one lithuim AA in my pocket

tacticalmedic87

Newly Enlightened
I always carry two spare batts with me at all times, as well as my E2DL on my belt and my new E1L in my pocket, so I can replace my E1L twice or my E2DL once. The neat little trick I use is a waterproof match container from wal-mart and it fits 2 123As perfectly, and its waterproof! Cheap, easy, just the right size for carry, and you always have extra light.:candle:

Snow

Enlightened
The battery life is one bummer about the A2. A lot of times I will end up using the high beam a lot more than I thought I would and I'll burn through a set or two of cells in one outing. :(