Help me choose - EX10 or EZ123

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'm considering one of the EX10 or EZ123 and thought I'd solicit some input. Here is what I am looking for in the light - I have a Novatac 85P that remains my favorite and most versatile light, other than the size. There are (many) days when I can't lug it around as an EDC in my business casual attire at work so I've used a series of other lights in that role, all of which have some limiting factor - Mag Solitaire with LED upgrade (nice form factor and pocketable, but not that versatile a beam and not bright enough); CR2 Ion (a great light but I'd like a little more oomph and a different beam profile and no rechargeable option); Jil JCR2 IT (better beam profile than the CR2 Ion but I'm not fond of the twisty on/off UI to switch modes); Peak Pacific CR2 Body (probably my favorite for overall beam pattern and size, but two stages would be nice particularly if it gets me a higher high).

I'm considering moving away from the CR2 format altogether in favor of more easily sourced CR123s (and I'd like to consolidate a bit across CR123 and AA batteries) - and am looking for a smaller, pocketable CR123 based light with at least two stages. I've considered the Dereelight C2H but it is not much smaller than the Novatac and the poor efficiency isn't appealing, I'm not crazy about the Fenix UI (at all) so the various P lights are out of the running; and any other lights either have a UI I'm not crazy about (Incendio - high to low is a deal breaker) or aren't small enough to make a difference (Olights, etc...). That seems to leave the two Nitecore offerings as the best price/size/performance lights in the mix. Here are my thoughts about them:

EX10 - Pros: versatile, small, trit piston upgrade possible, RCR123 compatible, lower low and higher high than the EZ123. Cons: I sure do wish once you access low or high that you could go back to a memorized programmed level, this remains the one stinker about this light for me, bigger thant he EZ123.

EZ123 - Pros: very small form factor, simple interface, RCR123 compatible. Cons: lacks a really low low which I do like, high is limited in use time wise due to heat issues.

I'm sort of stuck - the EZ123 size is very appealing, but for roughly the same money the EX10 does give you a lot more options even if the UI is not ideal.

Thoughts and input are welcome!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need to pocket clip the light for your business entire, only EX10 has it for now (sold separately). Nitecore has not produced clips for the EZ series yet, but will be.
So yeah... EX10. For that little bit more size (and it's still small), it offers so much more.

Last edited:

paintballdad

Enlightened
Actually, the EZ123 has a higher high than the EX10. The EZ123 is 180 and the EX10 is 130 lumens when comparing both in the Q5 bin. I used to EDC the EX10 but got tired of the UI. I prefer the HDS/Novatac/Ra Light UI. The Novatac as you mentioned is a little bulky for casual dress attire but do find it more compact than the Ra's in that respect. I've also starting to like the twisty UI a bit more but not for work purposes since I sometime need one hand free. You might consider the Bitz for dress carry, small twisty but the high is only about 130 lumens. Still plenty bright though and very nice beam pattern.

Just my 2 cents......

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I'd go with the EX10 since the piston drive is fun. I also put a trit in my D20 and really like that option.

Gatsby

Enlightened
What about the SureFire E1L or the fantastic Muyshondt Nautilus?

The Surefire is too big - bigger than my Novatac.

I thought about the Nautilus but the price point compared to the EZ123 has me headed in that direction instead... I think if you can find an aluminum one the Nautilus is still $185.

I thought about the BitZ as well - neat looking light, the cost and the twist on/off UI is not my favorite ... If I could find one for the right price I might think along those lines but the two Nitecore products are priced right and readily available...

Yes, I've got the itch a bit!

Rexlion

Enlightened
Not being able to memorize a middle setting hasn't bothered me, it just doesn't take that long to ramp back... which is an excuse to use that sweet, smooth PD. And if you really have a mid setting you want to use a lot, at least it is memorized insofar that it will come back on there if you turn it off there.

The EX10 lets you choose whether to turn on/off by twist or by PD. That versatility is nice at times, depending on how you grab the light on a given occasion.

If the midrange memory setting is so important to you, have you considered the Liteflux LF3XT? It will do that.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire is too big - bigger than my Novatac.

I thought about the Nautilus but the price point compared to the EZ123 has me headed in that direction instead... I think if you can find an aluminum one the Nautilus is still $185.

I thought about the BitZ as well - neat looking light, the cost and the twist on/off UI is not my favorite ... If I could find one for the right price I might think along those lines but the two Nitecore products are priced right and readily available...

Yes, I've got the itch a bit!
You can still get an aluminum Aeon for the original price if you don't mind using CR2 primaries. I think this is the best EDC light ever made.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Tough question. I'm in a similar situation. I have a (Milky-modded) HDS and a NovaTac, which I live to take everywhere. I've been looking for a smaller light, but others--Nautilus, BitZ, Ex10--don't quite measure up.

The HDS just feels right in the hand (the Ra is better, but is just a little too big) and the UI is perfect. I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy with anything smaller.

Of your two choices, the EZ123 (I don't have one of these, but I have a Nautilus, and the NiteCore seems to be a Nautilus clone) has the best interface for a small twisty light, but the Ex10 has a lower low.

Two completely diferent suggestions: get a concealco holster for the NovaTac, or if you want a small light, try a Michael Jordan Extreme III. This is what my wife and I have on our keys, and there are some for sale for under $70 in the marketplace. EDIT: They're here, in Custom BST.

Last edited:

jlomein

Enlightened
The EZ123 can use RCR123's? 4seven's product page for the EZ123 says do not use batteries exceeding 3 volts. I'm debating buying one since today is the last day with the 30% off coupon.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
It depends what you prefer, but I would go with the EX10.
I like the piston switch rather than the ez twist. The EZ123 can be had in a neutral tint, where as the EX10 cannot - if that is important to you.

henry1960

Enlightened
EX10..... In my experience with this great light i love the size, output, and can use RCR123`S 3.7 V batteries. What more can you ask for? :wave:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm stickin to OP's question and not strayin :D

I have a couple of CR123 sized lights but i have ended up carrying the EX10. Its versatile with instant access to high and low and to ramp up or down isnt a great chore.

What i like best is that its pocket clip makes it easy to carry the light in business trousers in a discreet manner, hardly any part of the light sticks out at all and its so small and light that you hardly notice it.

So it would be the EX10 for me.

bansuri

Enlightened
I think Gatsby made his decision long ago, but in the interest of keeping this thing alive: EX10.
Now that we have low lows it's hard to live without. The "low" on the EZ123 is too bright for any task requiring a small amount of light.
However... if lives depended on it the EZ123 may have a better chance of lighting up when you need it most due to it's lack of complexity. 1 O-ring, simple twisty design.
Note: too much lube on the EX10 piston makes it sluggish.