Nitecore EZ123 vs Fenix P1D

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
So I need a single cell light, and I am wondering who has these and which is "better" albeit a bit subjective, I really need/want to know and I didn't see a designated thread for this. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions (ie RA twisty) I am open to those as well. Most important things to me are ACTUAL lumens and durability. Run time falls in a distant third place. Looking forward to the responses and the genius that is CPF! Thanks!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what your needs are. Personally i would prefer the P1D, you have more choice in how bright you need the light.

Crenshaw

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
I can only talk about the Fenix P1D. I have that now for 1-1/2 year as my EDC and there has not been a situation yet that the Fenix could not handle!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both. my pref is for the P1D. why?

3 o.p. levels v. 2 levels. almost never need the highest setting on the P1D for my uses, but at least it's there. if the EZ123A had three levels, like the Ra-Twisty, that would be a big improvement. However, i would want a LOW like on the Muyshondt Nautilus/Aeon instead of a LOW like on the P1D - this is my only "crab" about the P1D - LOW is NOT low enough, but then neither is the LOW on the EZ123. give me ~3lm or ~4lm, ~15lm, and a high at 100-130lm and i'd be a happy camper.

IMO, the P1D is easier to operate. very easy to switch b/t light levels on the P1D with one hand. on the EZ123, however, HIGH is just too far removed from LOW. i, at least, can't quickly tighten the head to go from LOW to HIGH (unless i use two hands which even a klutz like me should NOT have to do) - too many degrees of rotation separate the two levels, IMO. i can understand the reasons for this, but my pref would be to have them "closer" together (i.e., fewer degrees of rotation). i need to twist, reposition thumb and index finger, twist again, reposition, twist... you get the idea. i've even shaved/beveled the foam ring to make it easier to tighten, yet still keep the CR123A cell from rattling in the tube when the light is OFF.

for the way i like to use lights, the only plus of the EZ123 over the P1D is that LOW is activated first. i almost always want a low light o.p. first (which is one reason i don't like memory in a light, though that doesn't apply to either the EZ123 or the P1D).

now, this says a lot, if when one of my main LIKES is lacking in a light that i still prefer it over the competition.

i'm glad that i purchased the EZ123. please don't get me wrong, it's a fine light. if you choose it over the P1D, IMO, you HAVE NOT made a poor choice. enjoy whichever one you purchase (i'd say, 'save up your pennies and purchase both').

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I only have the P1D-CE for about 2+ years now and have yet to want an upgrade. I search the forums for the next light but I still haven't found it. I almost fell for the allure of the Nitecore D10 (which I still may buy) but from what I've gathered from multiple users, its not much improvement over the P1D. P1D is still the king in my eyes in terms of price and functionality.

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
awesome guys thanks much for all the help! I liked the looks of the P1D and the description sounded better, but I wanted to hear it from actual users. Anyone know of any upgrades/mods to do to these lights? I still may go in true CPF style and get both, but the P1D will definitely be my first choice if my wife limits me :naughty:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome guys thanks much for all the help! I liked the looks of the P1D and the description sounded better, but I wanted to hear it from actual users. Anyone know of any upgrades/mods to do to these lights? I still may go in true CPF style and get both, but the P1D will definitely be my first choice if my wife limits me :naughty:

Hey just wanted to let you know if you want the new olive drab only batteryjuntion sells them. Maybe you like black better but I though I'd let ya know. I carry my LD01 in the OD finish on my keychain it looks great and shows wear less and it matches my PD30(EDC). This new OD finish have all looked way better than older Fenix models. Far as I know it is a limited run. One batch every 3-6 months.

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i know i am hijackin my own thread here, but i decided on the fenix P1d and then i saw someone talking about the Quark 123, how do these stack up with one another if there is anyone that has them both, I read the stats and such but that didn't really help a whole ton as they are pretty close to each other in stats and prices. Thanks!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q123 is, IMO, a more "flexible" light due to its two lowest levels which are lacking in the P1D.

For me, at least, this is an impt. aspect. Also, being able to have a low level activated first fits the way I generally prefer to use a light.

The smaller size of the P1D is preferable, but the Q123 is NOT a large light, IMO.

For a quick grab it from the pocket and use it, I find the twisty aspect of the P1D to be superior to any clicky (clickie???) simply b/c when I take the light out of my pocket I don't need to lift my hand and forearm and rotate them in order to direct the light forward. This is just an inherent aspect of the ergonomics of a twisty versus a clickie (clicky???).

There is just something about the P1D which still makes it a wonderful lil' light to use and it is still one of my favorite EDC lights. If it had a 3-5 lumen low which activated first, it might be my perfect EDC.

henry1960

Enlightened
Q123 is, IMO, a more "flexible" light due to its two lowest levels which are lacking in the P1D.

For me, at least, this is an impt. aspect. Also, being able to have a low level activated first fits the way I generally prefer to use a light.

The smaller size of the P1D is preferable, but the Q123 is NOT a large light, IMO.

For a quick grab it from the pocket and use it, I find the twisty aspect of the P1D to be superior to any clicky (clickie???) simply b/c when I take the light out of my pocket I don't need to lift my hand and forearm and rotate them in order to direct the light forward. This is just an inherent aspect of the ergonomics of a twisty versus a clickie (clicky???).

There is just something about the P1D which still makes it a wonderful lil' light to use and it is still one of my favorite EDC lights. If it had a 3-5 lumen low which activated first, it might be my perfect EDC.

Half-Watt----Dito on that being if the P1D had a 3-5 Lumen low which activated first it would be the BOMB!!! But i still like the PD1 better then the EZ123 :D

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
good news then cuz i already pulled the trigger on the PD1 and I wanted to make sure that the quark wasn't better in all aspects, if its a tossup (kind of looks that way) then the PD1 wins by $9 on the price lol.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
hahahaha i love my new light which inspired me to ALSO buy the quark 123:devil: (with the clip, the ones without the clip were out of stock) i don't think they are as nice looking of lights, but the moonlight mode and the XP-E version LED make me happy. Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahahaha i love my new light which inspired me to ALSO buy the quark 123:devil: (with the clip, the ones without the clip were out of stock) i don't think they are as nice looking of lights, but the moonlight mode and the XP-E version LED make me happy. Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

Am I missing something with the Quark 123 with no clip. Why would you buy it for the same price as the one with the clip and if you don't want the clip on it easily comes off.

Erzengel

Enlightened
The Quark 123 ist the only Quark with a fixed clip, so you have to decide if you want to buy one with clip, or one without.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
There have been a couple of threads lately that suggest the P1D is just hard to beat, even by newer, slicker lights.

I've given a couple as gifts, partly as a way to demonstrate what quality flashlights are. People are blown away by how much light comes out of something so small.

The neat thing is the light's been out more than a decade, and CPFers are still impressed by it.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
its good. I bought one and gave it out as a birthday present.

output wise its amazing.
but I'm just a lil put off by how it loses low in RCR123

Not sure about the US, but they're damn expensive here in Australia

Latest posts