L2 solarforce upgrades

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I'm new to the forum so if my question was asked before please bear with the newby.

I've recently bought a Solarforce L2 with a lot of upgrades. The upgrades includes chargers, rechargeble batteries, cell extenders, D36 head, HQ12 12Volt 550Lumen Xenon globe for the D36 head and a 200 or 220 Lumen LED R2 single mode globe for the standard head.

The problem is that all works well but when I turned on the flashlight with the 550 Lumens Xenon globe the globe went poof instantly. I were using three 2400mah 3.7V rechargeble Li-ion batteries at the time. Why did it blow the globe as the total voltage were less than 12 Volt?

Currently I'm using the LED globe with only 2 batteries to be on the safe side. But my question uis this:

What is the highest lumens LED globe that will work in this flashlight? It does not matter with which head, it can be either the standard head or the D36 upgrade head? Or what other options are available? Are there even better heads available with more upgradable options?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
With 3x Li-Ions you're not at 3x3.7, fresh off the charger you're at 3x4.2V..and that might be too much...Even if the voltage sags under load, but at the first moment you got 12.6V.
You could use a p60 dropin with MC-E oder P7, but heatsinking and p60 is a mystery to me...Basically it depends on the driver if you can use 2 or 3 cells, the driver has to be in the correct range for 3 cells...But there are also dropins available with up to 18V input range.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
No advice?
I thought I would have been swamped with all the advice. If anyone could suggest a suitable LED globe of at least 400 lumens, it would really be much appreciated.

jake25

Enlightened
I tend not to step into threads with people asking for help w/ Solarforce related things (advertising), but since there hasn't been a response, Solarforce does carry a 1 Mode MCE dropin ("globe") that accepts .8-4.2V. I would say it puts out 350 lumens, being conservative, its defiantly a wall of light

Since its a 4 dye LED, it produces a lot of heat, I carry a small amount of these dropins since I don't think they're too great. Right now we're ahead of the technology, I'm sure we'll see a cool running (heat wise) MCE dropin sometime in the future.

To clarify, your "globe" dropin that you have right now is most likely a CREE, R2 or Q5 dropin, it uses 1 CREE dye and puts out 200-250 lumens using the 2 batteries. MCE is a newer form of CREE leds that take 4 CREE dyes and, for lack of better term, puts them together on one pc board. Technically speaking you can have 4 times the output from a MCE compared to a normal CREE. However it all depends on how hard you drive the LED current wise and also the efficiency of the system/flashlight you're using

Last edited:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Thanks. Yes I could see why some could see it as advertising. Thanks for the advice. 350L is 150 more than what I currently have so I think I will have to go this route then.

Thanks.