E1 or E2???

Brock

Flashaholic
E2 without a doubt! It is less then twice the size and over 3 times the brightness as the E1 with the same run time. There is really nothing in the same class as the E2 right now, larger (same brightness) and you get in to the Scorpion, UKE, TACM III, and other 2L Surefires. It is amazing how small it is and how bright it is.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

Bucky

Enlightened
I agree with all that has been said. The E2 is much better because it is so much brighter, yet not that much bigger at all. In some respects, the E2 is actually easier and more comfortable to handle because it is a little bit bigger. For me it is just about the right fit in my hand, where the E1 is a bit small.

I think that the big advantage of the E2 is that it can be taken anywhere due to its size, yet it is bright enough for any use. There is really no situation that I can think of that the E2 would not be bright enough for. Not that the high power lamp would not be appreciated, but that extra power would always come at the expense of runtime.

I have had my E1 since it came out and I still carry it everyday over the E2 just because I hardly ever use a flashlight on a dialy basis to begin with. There are situations though where the E1 is just a tad too dim. I can always more than make-do with the E1 while camping etc. or even for defense, but the E2 has never left me wishing for more output, while occasionally the E1 has.

Hope this helps,

Bucky

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the E2 at all waterproof, say down to 3 or 4 feet? Also, what about the M2? Is that any good? Seems you get a pyrex lens and waterproofness.

Brock

Flashaholic
The E2 isn't waterproof. It will take a wash in the sink or some good rain, but will leak under more than about a foot of water. I have taken mine to 10 feet for about a min and there were drops of water in the unit.

The M2 is suppose to be totally waterproof. I havent got that to leak at 30 feet.

Brock

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just a quick post about SureFire waterproofness;

All new SureFire Millennium Series Flashlights are that are being released in 2001 are designed to be incredibly water-resistant with the aim of being waterproof.

I say this because metal flashlights are very difficult to make 100% waterproof under all conditions.

What SureFire has done with the new M2 & M3, and the M3T, M4 & M6 with Pyrex Lensed 2.5" TurboHeads is to improve the seals based on testing and experience.

Talking with SureFire about your options for using their products underwater is the best way to proceed if you require a SureFire as a DiveLight.
Having used the M3T underwater, the unsurpassed quality of the beam and light output make SureFires formidable illumination tools underwater.

Relating to the E1 or E2 post, I am convinced that a high output Lamp Module for the E1 would help it fight it's corner. I can still see times when the E2 is too big to carry all the time...

Al