Tommy Tutone "Jenny" phone # on eBay

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading a story a while back about Steve Wozniak (Apple) "collecting" phone numbers. He was really excited to finally get a number in which all seven (or maybe it was ten) digits were the same. The excitement was apparently short lived because he got numerous call each day that were the result of toddlers playing with phones and hitting the same key over and over again.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I would have never guessed you could sell a phone number on Ebay? I guess ive seen it all now. :shakehead

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would have never guessed you could sell a phone number on Ebay? I guess ive seen it all now. :shakehead

I would have never guessed you could sell one for $5000+ dollars!

I was trying to understand why it would demand such a price but I got to thinking that someone who owns their own business might justify the expense. After all, who couldn't remember that number?

......oh yeah, I forget about the 100,000 : 1 crank call ratio!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Speaking of crank calls, I just called the number and the the "Jenny" song started playing. Then a voicemail played saying, "This is JKS (or something like that) consulting, if you'd like to purchase this phone number please visit the ebay listing...yada, yada. Then it went to a mailbox....lol. It's a real working number and I'll bet the mailbox is rarely empty.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Perhaps partially OT but...

My first phone number ever was 835-1411, and in the first 24 hours of having it, I got about a half-dozen calls (throughout the night even) from folks thinking that they were calling information (1-411). I called up the phone company and said:
  • You're giving me a new phone number
  • OK, no problem sir, but there will be a $55 fee to change your number.
  • No, you'll be giving me a new phone number and not charging me a fee etc etc...
  • OK.
I find it difficult to imagine that everybody getting this number wouldn't have this problem and so it's not like this shouldn't be a surprise to the phone company?

Anyway, if I didn't have anything better to do, I could have just kept the number and gave out all sorts of incorrect information for the heck of it, but I needed to be able to sleep through the night as well...