First "defensive" story, 6P/M60

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Last night the dog started barking at something outside - completely normal.

This time she wouldn't stop - not so normal. So I got dressed (hadn't actually heard anything myself yet and obviously nobody had entered the house either, THAT would have had the dog waking up the entire neighborhood) and had a look.

The living room blinds were down, but tilted halfway open so I could see out front without being seen - turned out a group of teenagers were across the street (there are no houses there) giggling and laughing. They weren't being all loud or anything, but loud enough that they couldn't have been breaking into cars, houses, etc - just teenagers goofing off late at night during summer vacation.

So I quieted the dog down and was about to go back to bed when I overheard talk about throwing eggs at cars and houses. At that point I decided to step out the front door and hit them with my light, basically just to let them know they'd been noticed, and with suspicion.

What ensued next eventually had ME giggling - these kids (ages maybe 15 to 17, about 12 of them) instantly (while uttering a few choice expletives) ran off as though I had a chainsaw in one hand and a severed head in the other - and in different directions!

I was a bit surprised and puzzled by their reaction at first - I'd expected them at best to maybe hush up and start walking away, or at worst give me the finger and act somewhat confrontational.

It only took me a few seconds to realize what'd really happened - clearly they all thought I was an off duty cop! There's just really no other logical explanation...

So here it is the next day - a few houses up and down the street did get egged last night, but not a single house within a block of THIS house lol!

As far as I'm concerned my 6P/M60 combo paid for itself right then and there, JUST over the reaction I saw out of those punks last night lol!

nbp

Flashaholic
Good story! I have a similar one too.

A couple weeks ago some kids from our neighborhood were playing ding-dong-ditch around 10:00pm. They rang our bell and bolted. I was not home at the time, but my mom and the dog were. At first my mom was suspicious, but she saw them running across the street toward the neighbors house and realized it was kids. So she let the dog out to bark at them from the front lawn. When I got home, I could still hear kids outside as my mom told me the story. So I turned the lights off in the house and opened the front door, and meanwhile grabbed my ROP. When I could tell by their voices they were at the corner in front of my house, I blasted them with the ROP! :naughty: They all screamed and ran in different directions too! It was awesome, and I got a good laugh. Ahh, flashaholic fun lovecpf

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story! I have a similar one too.

A couple weeks ago some kids from our neighborhood were playing ding-dong-ditch around 10:00pm. They rang our bell and bolted. I was not home at the time, but my mom and the dog were. At first my mom was suspicious, but she saw them running across the street toward the neighbors house and realized it was kids. So she let the dog out to bark at them from the front lawn. When I got home, I could still hear kids outside as my mom told me the story. So I turned the lights off in the house and opened the front door, and meanwhile grabbed my ROP. When I could tell by their voices they were at the corner in front of my house, I blasted them with the ROP! :naughty: They all screamed and ran in different directions too! It was awesome, and I got a good laugh. Ahh, flashaholic fun lovecpf

ROP High I assume? :naughty:

Great stories--both of you!
nbp's reminds of this ol' CPF classic...Beware the Mighty SF M6!

-Robert

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
My P2D on Turbo once stopped one of my neighbors from continuing to hit his wife in their front yard. Seems as though the SOB wasn't willing to whale on her where people could see it.

Yes, the police were called. They're not all the way divorced yet, but he's out of the house and the violence seems to have stopped.

mlr

Newly Enlightened
Had a similar, but opposite, experience. A group of friends and I were having a smoke outside my house at a late, but not imprudent, hour. Probably a bit too much laughing amongst us for my cranky neighbor to bear, so he decided to spot us with an incan (probably a mag) to keep us quiet. My friend, who was in the Army, said "is that a cop?" My response was to whip out my Tiablo A9 and spot him back. My friend in the Army was floored, he said: "where the hell did you get that from!?!?--that's military grade stuff there, civilians can't buy stuff like that." I just laughed and we put out our cigarettes and headed in. Ah, flashlights.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I've read quite a few stories now where suspects/youths/etc are hit with a flashlight beam and run away -- and usually the poster assumes that the perps must have thought they were a police officer or an off-duty officer, etc...

The odd thing about this is that I've noticed when on duty, and I shine a light on someone, they usually freeze and don't move, or admit defeat and walk up to me while shielding their eyes (unless I've directed them to do otherwise). The typical response I've always received from kids is "aw sh!t.."

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
if they ran away they must of felt guilty about something. good job. try submitting that to surefire stories. :twothumbs

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I've read quite a few stories now where suspects/youths/etc are hit with a flashlight beam and run away -- and usually the poster assumes that the perps must have thought they were a police officer or an off-duty officer, etc...

The odd thing about this is that I've noticed when on duty, and I shine a light on someone, they usually freeze and don't move, or admit defeat and walk up to me while shielding their eyes (unless I've directed them to do otherwise). The typical response I've always received from kids is "aw sh!t.."

I would attribute that to the fact that most people won't attempt to run from a uniformed police officer, but damn well would if they think they're dealing with an off duty officer who doesn't have his car, gun, baton, tazer, radio, or handcuffs immediately available. Not to mention lack of backup.

Anyway I really couldn't think of any other logical explanation - seriously, these kids ran off literally as if I'd come at them with a chainsaw or something, they just BOLTED...

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I would attribute that to the fact that most people won't attempt to run from a uniformed police officer, but damn well would if they think they're dealing with an off duty officer who doesn't have his car, gun, baton, tazer, radio, or handcuffs immediately available. Not to mention lack of backup.

Anyway I really couldn't think of any other logical explanation - seriously, these kids ran off literally as if I'd come at them with a chainsaw or something, they just BOLTED...

Yeah, I suppose the uniform may have something to do with it...

But is it possible these youths were just scared that someone was going to confront them? Also the great psychological effect of suddenly no longer being in the shadows and being exposed "in the light" -- after all, I think cockroaches will react the same way. :crackup:

Legend

Newly Enlightened

I thought most cops carry concealed while off-duty.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst jogging the other night, the neighbourhood German Shepherd was out of its yard. It started growling at me and bearing its teeth. Just as it started running at me, I hit the Z41 of my 6P/M60 combo. The light seemed to stop the dog in its' tracks and it turned away - The Malkoff proved its' worth that night!

James....

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst jogging the other night, the neighbourhood German Shepherd was out of its yard. It started growling at me and bearing its teeth. Just as it started running at me, I hit the Z41 of my 6P/M60 combo. The light just stopped in its' tracks and it turned away - The Malkoff proved its' worth that night!

James....

That's why you need a 6P Defender, just incase the light doesn't stop the dog... the bezel will :nana:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great stories evey-one! With otu side tracking the thread too much, is my M60 defunct? It works in my G2/3, C2/3, but not in my 6P's??? Anyone else have this problem?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny how many of us are so use to our high lumen lights, but when others witness them they are taken by surprise.

As far as running away, once I was out in my back alley with my neighbor. I was telling him about a tree down the block that blew over in the wind. I then pulled out my Regalight WT1 which has decent throw and fired it up to light up the downed tree. As soon as that thing came on my neighbor said something like "Holy S!" and started to run away from me for a bit. LOL. I guess to him it looked like some kind of police helicopter spot light or something ridiculously brighter than what he's used to. I guess he was afraid people in nearby houses would come running out to see what the bright light was. :p

SpinDrift

Banned
Hehe I remember those days, wanting to vandalize someone's house who you didn't even know and who did nothing to you. (Vandalize as in t-pee or paintball for me :eek:).

You were lucky though, really lucky. I'm such a punk, and so where my friends, that I remember a few times when someone would yell at us or shine a light at us out of a house before we did anything that we'd get so p#ssed off that we'd yell at them back and then make it our mission to "get them back". And we did.

So iow, that tactic would of had and did have had the reverse effect with me and my friends.

That's why if I hear anyone messing around at night (which I only have once anyway) around my house I ignore it. Until I hear something actually hitting my house or people right outside my windows I'm not doing anything to anger them. I have yet to have anything happen to my house, but then nothing really ever happens in my neighborhood anyway.

Glad this worked for you though, but just be careful! Punks, like Sand people (Star Wars lol) can be easily frightened, but they can come back for "revenge", being mad that they were run off from their fun. I know I would of. :eek: