Unique Energizer

Skyeye

Enlightened
I got this from Goodwill today. It's called an Energizer "quick switch". It can use AA,C or D batteries without changing anything!:) You just drop 2 of the chosen batteries in the loading device and when you push it back to lock it, it automatically sizes the barrel for that particular set of batts. It has a 3 position switch which I would imagine is to send corrected power to the bulb. It is pretty well made though not water resistant. It throws a very narrow pencil beam. Good for emergency situations where they are out of one or two sizes of batteries such as just before a hurricane. :eek:oo:
sized_P1010002-1-15.jpg

supasizefries

Enlightened
Pretty neat concept. It would be a very nice modding light if you can get to the LED. Any shots of the front?

horizonseeker

Enlightened
great find! I wanted to order one when it first came out, but for the price I didn't feel it was worth it. Goodwill price, on the other hand, makes it a good deal.

Skyeye

Enlightened
Only shotcoming is that it's an ICAN with a Kripton bulb. I guess I could try a Mag or Niteize LED drop-in and see what it does.:confused: Yeah, it didn't hurt at all for a $1!

Skyeye

Enlightened
I'd have to take it apart to find out which would be hard as it's pretty much a sealed barrel.:( I was thinking the same thing too!

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I would say it has something to do with the current supplied to the bulb, D cells can provide much more current with out a sag in voltage than a AA can...

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one unique idea... it would be good for those dire situations where you only have a certain battery type.
But other than that, it's pretty pointless :p

lolzertank

Enlightened
I know I've seen this somewhere... I think it was quite a while ago at Home Depot or something. Great for the unprepared (in batteries, not lights), I guess.

strinq

Enlightened
Hmm, doesn't seem extremely useful to me.
Unless you really use all sorts of batts and have them all over the place.
But for $1 its a cheap toy.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know I've seen this somewhere... I think it was quite a while ago at Home Depot or something. Great for the unprepared (in batteries, not lights), I guess.

Saw it awhile ago myself, at K-Mart.

Never bought one due to having a ton of lights and plenty of spare batteries at home. Also, it just didn't look like a quality light.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only shotcoming is that it's an ICAN with a Kripton bulb. I guess I could try a Mag or Niteize LED drop-in and see what it does.:confused: Yeah, it didn't hurt at all for a $1!

What a bargain... you make me want to go cruising all the local 'thrift stores' again looking for more lights! :D

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the concept. It would make a decent emergency light, being able to take a variety of different battery sizes. Nice find.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the concept of this light but it is about the quality you would expect.OK for household use but not very rugged.I put a SMJLED in mine and it is OK but obviously not that bright.Other PR base LED drop-ins that I have tried leave a doughnut hole in the beam but you may be able to shim them to eliminate that.I did have to take some care to get the SMJLED centered in the reflector as the hole for the bulb is fairly large.

Illum

Flashaholic
I saw this light before, somewhere

Why the multi-position switch if all the battery configs are the same voltage?

that's what I was wondering...battery voltage sag should only be under consideration if your device draws something like an amp...which a typical krypton incandescent barely reaches 1/3 of that...

I've always thought that perhaps there were more than one contacts on the battery holder in which only one set of contacts is touching a specific battery and the switch merely acting as a switch for all the contacts available in the battery holder...but I can't help but wonder why bother with the redundancy when all you really need is a couple collapsible foam blocks and a longer spring with finer wounds to turn any 2D incandescent into something capable to holding 2AAs

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the idea here is to be able to use any of three types of common 1.5 v batteries without any adapters or mods.While the construction isn't heavy duty you can switch battery types without any modifications and it works fine in that respect.
Since the hole for the bulb is large I decided to try a 2-cell Magled module and sure enough it worked.The retaining cap for the bulb does not fit tight but that is not an issue when the reflector assembly is on the light.The Magled worked the best(easily the brightest)of the LED replacements I have tried and didn't have a doughnut hole.Of course there is always the heat issue but Magleds are designed to deal with that.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Craftsman (Dorcy) PR dropin works well. I suspect the 1watt NiteIze (not the 10mm one) would also work well.