Ultrafire 10440 30.2 lux

Added:
LDO1 Q5 10440 29.2 lux
LOD Q4 10440 27.1 lux

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Maratac AAA Q5

Mine gets fairly "warm" after a few minutes on high however it does not seem to get as hot as what I would expect. This may mean it is not making a huge amount of current on high however it could also mean it is not heat sinked as well as it could be??

Has anyone else ran theirs on high for long enough to see if the body gets warm? Or better yet has anyone else been able to get the circuit out?

Temperature after running for 120 seconds on high with 10440 (sitting on desk)

Starting temperature was 82.6F.

LDO1 119.4F
Maratac 125.8F

Just a word of caution to 10440 users, I wouldn't run the Maratac on high for more than 2 minutes or a duty cycle greater than 25%! It gets hot rapidly and holds the heat in the cell. Even after being off of 5 minutes the light was still 99.8F. When turning back on from that temperature the light reached 124F in only 78 seconds.

MaratacAAA001.jpg

In the second test I held the Maratac in my hand with a pinch grip near the LED and ran it for 2 minutes on high, then measured the temperature within 2 seconds of turning it off.

Maratac 111.3F

Obviously holding the light in your hand makes a huge difference in keeping the temperature down but I still wouldn't run it on high for more than 2 minutes because that's really straining the 10440 battery. As long as the light is kept cool you can run it hard but your 10440s will have a shorter life because if it.

MaratacAAA002.jpg

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Got mine in today. I'd call this one a must have for everyone. EDC'able even if you are just wearing underwear, actually you could be naked and have it on a neck chain.

It is Nat but I'd call this one more silvery than Nat really.
I got the floody, more OP reflector and it is just right.
Perfectly centered emitter on this one.
My tint is a hair toward warm.
PMW is pretty noticeable to me but I pick it up easy.
High is bright, med is ample for most tasks, low is nice and low-my kind of low.
Frigging' tiny!

I said I'd open it but the kind hands at CC picked me out such a winner that I have no need to open it! If I'd have gotten a dud I'd of cracked into it but not this one, no way.

It just took a flight of 7 feet onto a hardwood floor. (Tossed it up and let it drop) No marks, no flickering.
I just found the flashlight to wear in my scrubs and stay totally out of the way until I need it.
:grin2:

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light, I ordered a black and a natural, got two naturals, someone else mentioned production errors in the CC shipping department.

Nice beam and tint, wonderful rhombic knurling helps hold this tiny light. The natural finish is probably better for me anyway, helps to find the light on a table, floor or in a briefcase pocket. Gotta love the new XP-E lights, I've also got several FourSeven's and a couple of Inforce's. One of these Maratacs may replace the old red LRI Photon Micro-Light on my ID lanyard.

I'll probably buy some more Maratac's to give away, this is a light you can hand to someone and they can use it with minimal instruction.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
As this is my first post ...
Hi everyone ! :)

Since I'm pretty much interested in this nice little flashlight, I've read all recent topics about it. Since the "reflector issuse" has been solved, there one more thing that bothers me.... Take a look at those pics:

Photo from "bullfrog" post :

photo-23.jpg

photo from Patriot post #2:

MaratacAAA001.jpg

I know that there is a difference between camera and light conditions (while taking a photo), but for me it look like two kinds of natural finish... :thinking: Most photos and opinions are about "silvery" natural. Patriot's is grey or dark gray for my eyes. Definitely not "silver"...

Patriot can you put some more photos of your flashlight ...or just say if I'm wrong and it's only an illusion ? :thinking:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that there is a difference between camera and light conditions (while taking a photo), but for me it look like two kinds of natural finish...

One of my 'naturals' has an all over silver finish, the other has one piece silver, the other one darker.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Silver. Flat out silver here.
I like it, it differs from the rest of my collection of Nat or black but being able to choose silver would of been nice.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I know that there is a difference between camera and light conditions (while taking a photo), but for me it look like two kinds of natural finish... :thinking: Most photos and opinions are about "silvery" natural. Patriot's is grey or dark gray for my eyes. Definitely not "silver"...

Patriot can you put some more photos of your flashlight ...or just say if I'm wrong and it's only an illusion ? :thinking:

Coolperl, welcome to CPF! :wave:

I think the variation has to do primarily with lighting. Natural HA finish has always been difficult to capture perfectly true and even pics from the same camera can make it appear several different tones. You just can't trust the pictures especially when everyone is using their own camera.

These two pictures were taken with the same camera, of the same lights, un-retouched, only different lighting

Fluorescent
DifferentcolorsofNaturalHA2.jpg

Halogen and sunlight
DifferentcolorsofNaturalHA.jpg

I would call my Maratac silverish-grey. Hope that helps.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
P.S. For a reference to true silver, look at the split ring on the Arc or the ground edge on the Busse's blade

Yup. Done that :) On bullfrog photo, the split ring, the edge of a blade and HA on Maratac looks similiar - all bright silver. On your photo the steel rings on the clip differs from the flashlight.
I'm aware that white ballance can affect colors. But mostly in "cold" or "warm" way ... Which, imo, in not an issue here. :thinking:
Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe it's just the way steel and HA surface reflects the light. But this....

One of my 'naturals' has an all over silver finish, the other has one piece silver, the other one darker.

Is a bit confusing. Hey Vox Clamatis in Deserto, how about a little photo session ? :cool:

....Anyway, I plan to order both flavours. We'll see, what I get :).

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Mine arrived yesterday. I was initially turned off by the uncentered emitter, but for a light with such a small reflector, it really doesn't make any real world difference.

I do like the silver colored finish and the lack of annoying strobe and SOS modes of my L0D's.

All in all, it is a nice light, but as others have complained about, the shipping cost is certainly over the top. I probably wouldn't have bought it had I realized that shipping was almost half the cost of the light.

Nonetheless, I do like it and it is a nice addition to my collection.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
All in all, it is a nice light, but as others have complained about, the shipping cost is certainly over the top. I probably wouldn't have bought it had I realized that shipping was almost half the cost of the light.

I agree, if Nick raised the price of the light to $29.95 and offered free UPS shipping, he might sell a lot more of these.:twothumbs

Calina

Enlightened
Even if I'm tempted I won't buy the Maratac.

The fact that the shipping is through UPS is a complete turn-off. Not only is it more expensive than USPS but living in Quebec, I'll be hit with extra costs and duty which I wouldn't incur if USPS was used.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that the shipping is through UPS is a complete turn-off. Not only is it more expensive than USPS but living in Quebec, I'll be hit with extra costs and duty which I wouldn't incur if USPS was used.

Yep, I spent a few days in Laval recently, everything seems to be expensive in Quebec! Some statuesque women though...

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So tired of reading about shipping:tired: Great light!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if I'm tempted I won't buy the Maratac.

If you don't mind getting the iTP version of this light, there are a couple of sellers that do (or will be) offering the iTP with USPS shipping.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one coming next week. Had to buy some other stuff to make the shipping charge less painful. Shipping was still 8% of total purchase.

Calina

Enlightened
If you don't mind getting the iTP version of this light, there are a couple of sellers that do (or will be) offering the iTP with USPS shipping.

Thank you. I fallowed the thread, so I knew that ;).

I find the Maratac cosmetically more attractive but I'll see how the iTP advance looks like when it comes out and I hope it will be low, medium, high instead of medium, low, high.

Status
Not open for further replies.