Fenix P1D, last small edc, what's better now?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the small form factor but want similar size but brighter, what are my options. I haven't followed this forum as diligently in the last couple of years, I may have missed much, please help. I just bought a solarforce t4, and it's not small and not very bright, so I need some help please. For larger lights I just bought a fenix TK40, Jetbeam MIX and the Solarforce L1000. Tk40 honest 640 lumens, MIkX honest 700 lumens, Solarforce L1000 least bright of all of them, a bit of a lacking in brightness but nice shape beam, I even broke out my old meterman lm631 meter and MIx was way brighter.
I digress, I need something small ( like fenix P1D) but brighter,
thanks,

polkiuj

Enlightened
AW 16340. It'll probably kill your P1D in due time but its way bright! Which P1D is yours? Q5??

Quark 123 is also very small and bright.

If you want really small and bright, Lummi Raw is an awesome choice. Just about everyone who saw mine went :faint:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, nothing that small can beat it for brightness yet. Perhaps something like the ARc6? but even thats slightly bigger. the Ex10 isnt as bright.

Crenshaw

Phyltre

Newly Enlightened
We need more ascetic 1x18650 lights. If they can hug the 123A form factor so closely, surely they can do better work with a spanking-new emitter and a more powerful (but not terribly larger) battery. I know there are lots of 18650 lights out there, but they tend to the larger side. Am I reading correctly that a circa 2006 light is still the reigning (mass production) size/power champ?

lolzertank

Enlightened
An Ultrafire CR123A host with a P7 or MC-E and an IMR cell is one option. You probably want to regulate it to 1.4 or 1A, since a body of that size isn't much of a heatsink.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a raw and a wi, but I was hoping to find something brighter than a P1D and because mine is 2 to 3 years old, the newer version may be brighter. The solarforce T4 is way longer but not much brighter, but I'm hoping.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my old P1D with my meterman L631 and it measured only 1800 lux or so, and I believe the new P1D has been rated around 3000 lux. I also measured my M1X at 20000 the virtual meter limit and the solarforce L1000 at around 15000 lux. Interesting to use the old meter which I haven't measured anything with in a few years, still useful.
So I went and ordered the new P1D with new premium Q5.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I measured my old P1D with my meterman L631 and it measured only 1800 lux or so, and I believe the new P1D has been rated around 3000 lux. I also measured my M1X at 20000 the virtual meter limit and the solarforce L1000 at around 15000 lux. Interesting to use the old meter which I haven't measured anything with in a few years, still useful.
So I went and ordered the new P1D with new premium Q5.

I have the new P1D and I like it very much. If I were doing it over I'd get the model with the clicky instead of the twisty but I went for the smaller size. It's bright enough for any of my everyday uses.