My MD2/M60W MC-E

curtispdx

Enlightened
I used it on a crime scene today for just a few minutes and that sucker got HOT! (Of course, it was about 106 degrees today, probably 5-10 degrees warmer inside that little house.)

I sure like the color and pattern but the heat it put out might be a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I have that combo, and it's my favorite. However, I have the two mode ring which imho makes this light useful. All high mode and I don't think I'd feel this way about the lights usefulness. No heat issues at all when I only intermittently use high.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I get that using my hand will dissipate some of the heat away from the light but I found it distracting. Instead of focusing on what I was trying to do I was thinking "Holy cow, I hope the batteries aren't going to blow!" :laughing: (I ended up switching lights and finished.)

(By the way, I know that ANY high output light is going to heat up, I just happened to be using this one today. I love Gene's stuff and will buy more.)

On another note, I caught a glimpse of one of our criminalists (they process crime scenes) shine his Stinger into his hand. (He had to cup his hand to create a dark spot so he could see the light. It was that lame. ;) ) So, I handed him my MD2 and let him look at it.

"Who make's it?" he asked. I tell him.

Then he turned it on.

"Wow! How much?"

Now I'm embarrassed because most people think anything more than $30 for a light is ridiculous but I tell him anyway.

Without missing a beat he responded "Well, what's your life worth?"

Exactly.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is well worth the money IMO. No price is too small when your life is on the line..... I have a MD2 with a direct drive MCE M60 I use with a 18650. It can get kinda hot, but not too bad. I have used it walking at night for around 20 minutes continuous with no problems. I was holding it around the head with a firm grip, and the temp was in the 70's. It got really warm, but not hot enough to bother me or melt anything. On the otherhand, I've not used it during 90+ degree weather either.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I get that using my hand will dissipate some of the heat away from the light but I found it distracting. Instead of focusing on what I was trying to do I was thinking "Holy cow, I hope the batteries aren't going to blow!" :laughing: (I ended up switching lights and finished.)

(By the way, I know that ANY high output light is going to heat up, I just happened to be using this one today. I love Gene's stuff and will buy more.)

On another note, I caught a glimpse of one of our criminalists (they process crime scenes) shine his Stinger into his hand. (He had to cup his hand to create a dark spot so he could see the light. It was that lame. ;) ) So, I handed him my MD2 and let him look at it.

"Who make's it?" he asked. I tell him.

Then he turned it on.

"Wow! How much?"

Now I'm embarrassed because most people think anything more than $30 for a light is ridiculous but I tell him anyway.

Without missing a beat he responded "Well, what's your life worth?"

Exactly.

I had people looking at me like I was crazy when I told them how much my 6P Defender cost - I simply asked them how much money they figure they've spent on flashlights in their lifetime.

Pretty much any man over 35 has spent a hundred bucks on flashlights - and if they stick with the cheapies they'll spend a hundred more...

recDNA

Flashaholic
At least you have a darn good work related reason to buy such good flashlights. I never need a good flashlight at work (unless the lab blows up or something - LOL). Imagine how crazy MY friends think I am. All I showed them is the little P1D on my belt and they couldn't believe it. I told them if they didn't believe it was brighter than a Maglite to look at it when I turned it on in daylight. After a lot of blinking they appreciated it more - and I only used medium. Imagine an uncooperative subject looking right into your MD2 at night? They'd be seeing spots all the way back to the pokey!

Do you get to deduct (from your taxes) your flashlights as work related expense? You certainly should be able to.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I had people looking at me like I was crazy when I told them how much my 6P Defender cost - I simply asked them how much money they figure they've spent on flashlights in their lifetime.

Pretty much any man over 35 has spent a hundred bucks on flashlights - and if they stick with the cheapies they'll spend a hundred more...

Trouble is I buy as many expensive (over $50 by my def) lights as my friends do plastic cheapies (under $5)! Actually, I'm not too bad. I've never spent more than $115 for a flashlight (got a great deal no longer available on my TK40). I've seen some for 3 or 4 hundred I'd LOVE to buy. Even I'm not tempted to spend 2 or 3 G's for a high quality HID searchlight though! I wonder how many folks here have spent over $1000 for a single flashlight?

curtispdx

Enlightened
Do you get to deduct (from your taxes) your flashlights as work related expense? You certainly should be able to.[/QUOTE]

I did last year. Probably not this year.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you like that wide beam of the M60W MC-E, but do not like the heat, go for an M60W, or M30W and use one of the SF beam shapers, and you have a choice of some reach with your light, or flood, and little or no heat. I use an M30 with the SF medium tip-off beam shaper, and it is awesome.

Bill

curtispdx

Enlightened
If you like that wide beam of the M60W MC-E, but do not like the heat, go for an M60W, or M30W and use one of the SF beam shapers, and you have a choice of some reach with your light, or flood, and little or no heat. I use an M30 with the SF medium tip-off beam shaper, and it is awesome.

Bill

Thanks for the tip and I'll look into one but this light is kept on my belt and I'm thinking that the beam shaper might make it a bit bulky.