Keychain(or pen-size) light advice for a novice?

nlty2000

Newly Enlightened
Hi
First, I don't know anyhing about LED lights. =) I need a pocket size everyday light for a friend who has difficulty seeing at night. I browsed the net and come across things like Fenix L0D or E01(what's the difference?). But they generally focus the light at the middle. I'm not sure if this is the ideal spread for a guy who wants to see the sidewalk or stairs. Is there smtg that uniformly spreads the light? And which light do you recommend? (Brightness is priority. Price is irrelevant. Prettiness is totally irrelevant)
Thanks a lot.

duboost

Enlightened
:welcome:

well first off the difference between the Fenix E01 and L0D is the price, brightness, modes, and a very minimal difference in size. The E01 is very reasonably priced, however it only has a single mode which produces about 10 lumens. Also a lot of people complain that the tint is on the purple side, but it's still a nice little light with awesome runtime at a very affordable price. However if brightness is your priority and price is irrelevant, i'd rule this one out. It does make a great back up light though :whistle:
The L0D has 5 modes of output. About 11 lumens on low, 30 lumens on medium, and 75 lumens on high, as well as a strobe and SOS mode. So as you can see it is more versatile and much brighter than the E01, but the price also reflects that.
There is also the LD01 which has 3 modes of output with about 10 lumens on low, 27 lumens on medium, and 80 lumens on high.

As far the being concerned about the light being too focused, that generally shouldn't be too much of a problem because most of these lights will provide adequate spill to light up the path in front of you.

As far as other lights to look at, will it be specifically a keychain light? Or something your friend would consider just carrying in his pocket, or something he can clip in his pocket? You could look at the Nitecore EZAA, which runs on 1AA battery, puts out 130 lumens, and is available in a warm tint also. In my opinion, it's a tad too big to go on your keys, but its still very small for a AA light and slips into your pocket just fine. Or if he wouldn't mind a slightly larger light that he can clip to the inside of his pocket, you may want to look into the Nitecore D10 or the Quark AA.

Here are some outdoor beamshots of many lights and if you scroll down you will see some of the Nitecore EZAA, Fenix LD01, and Quark AA to give you an idea of what kind of output these little lights are capable of ;)

KuKu427

Enlightened
Do you mean something with a beam like this?
That's about a 3 foot wide circle at ~3 1/2 feet from the wall...
What I don't understand is why does your friend need that much diffusion?

wide.jpg

nlty2000

Newly Enlightened
Ok now I must decide between Nitecore and Liteflux(http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf2_x/). Fenix L series gets good reviews as I see, but there's no need for a bright spot in the distance.
Outdoor beamshot of Nitecore seems fine. AA battery should last longer than AAA, I guess. That makes it a better choice, right?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok now I must decide between Nitecore and Liteflux(http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf2_x/). Fenix L series gets good reviews as I see, but there's no need for a bright spot in the distance.
Outdoor beamshot of Nitecore seems fine. AA battery should last longer than AAA, I guess. That makes it a better choice, right?

Which Nitecore AA are you referring to? D10 or NDI? Both of them will have hotspot. If you're comparing this with Liteflux AAAs, they're actually different class and each has its own merits. Apples to oranges. No wait, in this case, it's more like apples to bananas.

If these 2 are the only options you have narrowed down and you only want a flood, then I suggest LF2XT. It has a hotspot but it graduates very smoothly to spill. If you start considering other stuff like AA vs AAA, runtimes, lumens, knurling, features etc, you'll need a whole new thread for information like these....

nlty2000

Newly Enlightened
I'll simplify it:
-No hotspots
-Pocket size(maximum 1.8~1.9cm diameter, like 0.7inches)
-Brightest possible

zeruel;
I was referring to Nitecore EZAA. I know it has a narrow spot but the photo seemed fine. I don't know...

hazna

Enlightened
Which Nitecore AA are you referring to? D10 or NDI? Both of them will have hotspot. If you're comparing this with Liteflux AAAs, they're actually different class and each has its own merits. Apples to oranges. No wait, in this case, it's more like apples to bananas.

If these 2 are the only options you have narrowed down and you only want a flood, then I suggest LF2XT. It has a hotspot but it graduates very smoothly to spill. If you start considering other stuff like AA vs AAA, runtimes, lumens, knurling, features etc, you'll need a whole new thread for information like these....

I would believe he is referring the Nitecore EZAA which was mentioned in a previous post. The size of the EZAA is comparable to AAA light lights.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll simplify it:
-No hotspots
-Brightest possible

zeruel;
I was referring to Nitecore EZAA. I know it has a narrow spot but the photo seemed fine. I don't know...

EZAA also has a defined hotspot. But it is a good choice. :)
For total flood, maybe you want to check out Peak Eiger and its additional beam shots.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'll simplify it:
-No hotspots
-Brightest possible

zeruel;

Depending on how long he needs the light to last, you might also want to consider the Wee by Lummi. It's almost all flood, with no real hotspot. You can buy versions that provide up to 100 lumens from a light that's just over an inch long. The only downside with this choice is that the runtime is really short: at that brightness level, the light only goes for about 15-20 minutes before it needs to be recharged. However, Lummi also makes a 50 lumen model that runs for longer...

If you can get by with a slightly larger light, I'd definitely consider the Zebralights. ("Larger" is a relative term. They're still incredibly tiny; barely larger than the AA battery that powers them.) Technically they're made to be headlamps, but they'd probably work perfect in this application. Like the Wee, Zebralights are all flood and no hotspot, so this would be a decent choice - and would probably be about the same size as the EZAA you liked. The Zebralights also offer 3 different levels of brightness. This would be an excellent choice. Highly recommended.

Finally, if your friend plans to use the light outdoors, I'd also consider getting him the "warm" or "natural" version of whatever light you choose; these LEDs provide better color rendition outdoors.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

nlty2000

Newly Enlightened
How long would a Duracell AAA last on level 8 Eiger 10440? And what is 10440SS? Why is Peak's website so bad?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long would a Duracell AAA last on level 8 Eiger 10440? And what is 10440SS? Why is Peak's website so bad?

Not sure about runtime in general, but Regulator has made an estimation. More info here.

10440 is basically AAA Li-ion. SS is Stainless Steel.

Peak is upgrading their website. There's already an entire thread on this so try not to start it here again. :green:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get by with a slightly larger light, I'd definitely consider the Zebralights. ("Larger" is a relative term. They're still incredibly tiny; barely larger than the AA battery that powers them.) Technically they're made to be headlamps, but they'd probably work perfect in this application. Like the Wee, Zebralights are all flood and no hotspot, so this would be a decent choice - and would probably be about the same size as the EZAA you liked. The Zebralights also offer 3 different levels of brightness. This would be an excellent choice. Highly recommended.
- FITP

+1 for FITP's suggestions. I have a Zebralight H501 and I couldn't be happier with it! It is such a great little light. The only issue is that the clicky switch on it is sensitive and may accidentally turn on your pocket. But you can unscrew the battery cap a tiny bit and you are golden. Personally I carry the Fenix LD01 on my keychain but I am thinking that the new Maratac AAA (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238010&page=2) may replace this when I receive it next week...

:welcome:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have to agree with the above poster...checkout the Zebralight line of lights.

-Robert

aZhu

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the relatively new Maratac AAA flashlight and I think it will meet and probably exceed your expectations from such a small light. If you haven't already, check out http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html

:wow:

(Moderator note: Hotlinked pics not allowed/removed IAW CPF Image Rules.)

Last edited by a moderator: