Solarforce Drop-ins

milanlad

Newly Enlightened
Hello - I'm relatively new to Torches but have some know-how on electronics.

I have recently purchased the following from a seller on ebay called Flashlight Express:

Solarforce L2 - R2 Cree 7090 XR-E LED

Solarforce L2M - R2 Cree 7090 XR-E LED

I would like to know how to check if the drop-ins are genuine Solarforce and not some cheap copy? Both drop-ins just have a sticker saying Solar<small gap>Force.

I'm also wanting to know the voltage ranges that I can push on the R2 bulbs. The drop-in in the L2M doesn't light on a new Energizer CR123 that was measuring 2.9V, but worked okay on a different CR123 measuring just over 3V.

Are there different versions of the R2 drop-in that works on different voltages?

I have an L2 with R2 5-mode which I purchased from a UK supplier called KNW. This drop-in has an orange/red sticker. I believe this is a genuine Solarforce product.

Thanks in advance or any help and info.

saltytri

Enlightened
I would like to know how to check if the drop-ins are genuine Solarforce and not some cheap copy? Both drop-ins just have a sticker saying Solar<small gap>Force.

Solarforce products ARE cheap copies! :laughing:

(Couldn't resist that. Of course, they are pretty good cheap copies.)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge, Solarforce drop-ins will indicate the voltage range on the sticker.
The page linked above lists the drop-ins available.

As for the L2m drop-in, I believe they were sold requiring the use of RCR123/16340 cells.

Based on your description of a couple of your drop-ins, I'm tempted to think they are not legit. Could you post pictures of them?