I miss my NDI

Ctrain

Enlightened
IMO this has one of the best UI's ... I miss mine and I have a love for single cell AA's (can you imagine if someone told you 5 years ago that an AA could get twice the output as a 6P!!!) Anyway, I've never owned an R2... My previous NDI was a Q5... What would I expect from the R2 that my Q5 didn't give me? Anyone?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I see no obvious differences between the two other than occasional difference in tint. If the two lights are held next to each other, you may be able to see the difference in output with the naked eye, but the difference will be small.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Since getting my AA Quark Tactical I haven't touched my NDI. I love being able to set both tight bezel and loose bezel modes and it is definitely brighter than my NDI R2. :)

jgraham15

Enlightened
So the NDI rated at 145 lumens compared to the Quarks 90 right? How much brighter does the Quark seem?

I use 14500's in both of them and the quark is brighter and in my opinion has a better beam pattern. I haven't tried using alkaline batteries in them so I'm not sure what the difference will be.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Any chance you could test pop a primary in those puppies and tell me if theres any obvious difference?:popcorn:

Sorry! I have been busy and haven't had a chance to try it yet but I will give it a try tonight and post the results afterwards. You got me curious how much difference there will be running them both on AA alkalines! :thinking:

jgraham15

Enlightened
Here is a beamshot of both the NDI R2 and the Quark Tactical AA on brand new Duracell AA's. The NDI is on the left and the Quark is on the right. Both flashlights were about 6 feet from the wall.

051-1.jpg

jgraham15

Enlightened
Also took some side by side pics of the two of them. Not the best pics I know! :ohgeez:

063-1.jpg

067-1.jpg

064-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

I know it looks like the NDI's lens is cracked or something but it's just from the camera flash I guess.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Oh by the way they are both awesome flashlights but I do like the Quark better.

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
Do not forget that the quark has another beam pattern with much more throw and a wide, but relativly dim spill. Overall the NDI will be brighter with AA-Alkaline/NIMH.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... there must be reasons why you missed NDI, isn't there? :whistle:

jgraham15

Enlightened
Do not forget that the quark has another beam pattern with much more throw and a wide, but relativly dim spill. Overall the NDI will be brighter with AA-Alkaline/NIMH.

I have to disagree with you on this. I would say the quark on AA alkaline is a tad brighter then the NDI on a 14500. It's a little hard to judge due to the different tints and beam patterns but I am dead sure both on alkalines the Quark is brighter.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong I love my NDI and if NiteCore updated it with more output and a pocket clip I would buy one in a split second! I still prefer the UI of the NDI. I like strobe being hidden but still very easy to access.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA is rated 90 lumens with a 1.5v, with a 14500 3.7v it should be 170 lumens like the Quark 123.

This would be out the front lumens, rather than emitter lumens. I think the NDI was rated around 190 emitter lumens, so it's probably somewhere around 120-140 out the front lumens.