Help me define "Flashaholic"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Help me define \"Flashaholic\"

We constsntly use the term, but do we agree on what it means?

I tried to find the broadest meaning. Here's my definition:

Flashaholic: Someone who appreciates, purchases and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their evolution.

Brightnorm

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me define

does it need to be portable? Is modder also a flashaholic? Do we need to purchase a light to become flashaholic?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
does it need to be portable? Is modder also a flashaholic? Do we need to purchase a light to become flashaholic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, good questions. I think it has have to be portable because as Flashaholics our whole focus is on hand held lights. There are people fascinated with street lights or flourescent building lights or stadium floodlights, and they're not necessarily Flashaholics.

See if you like this modified definition:

FLASHAHOLIC:
Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the purchase and/or modification of these lights.

Brightnorm

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, this new definition is much better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
well, about the portability issue, I dunno. I think flashaholics' interests don't have to be portable.

Tomas

Banned

Hmmmmm ... Portable, yes, but not necessarily "hand-held."

I've been pretty impressed with things like vehicle mounted spots, and those portable suns they have on some helicopters ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me define \"Flashaholic\"

They are not a true flashaholic if they aren't an active member of CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Smaug

Newly Enlightened

I hope this isn't too simple, but I would say it's someone who goes out of one's way to use flashlights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

(SMAUG)
I hope this isn't too simple, but I would say it's someone who goes out of one's way to use flashlights.

Actually that's good because those ten words also imply interest and intent.

(SHIFTED)
Yes, this new definition is much better.
well, about the portability issue, I dunno. I think flashaholics' interests don't have to be portable.

I agree but I think our main interest focuses more on portable lights than on others

(TOMAS))
Hmmmmm ... Portable, yes, but not necessarily "hand-held." I've been pretty impressed with things like vehicle mounted spots, and those portable suns they have on some helicopters

Me too, but I find that I'm primarily involved with lights I can personally use and carry. We could just forget about the "hand-held" part because it's not in the definition.

Brightnorm

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys forgot the -aholic part of the word.

It's an addiction!

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Wolfen said:
You guys forgot the -aholic part of the word.

It's an addiction!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfen,

You caught me trying to avoid the real definition. Here it is, but it ain't pretty.

FLASHAHOLIC:
Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the purchase and/or modification of these lights, very often to the point of distraction, social alienation, drunkenness, divorce, arrest, impoverishment, and general disintegration.

This describes the 1st and mildest of the three stages of Flashaholism

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned

DO

FIND DEFINITION: Alcoholic

SUBSTITUTE: "Flasha" for "Alco"

PRINT

DONE

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

It's hard to find an all encompassing definition that fairly includes all Flashaholics. Some of us are obsessive to the point of a seeming addiction, others much less so.
I think "ongoing fascination" covers some of that.

BN

FLASHAHOLIC:
Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the purchase and/or modification of these lights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Change purchase to acquisition?

Getting pretty close ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree. Here goes:

FLASHAHOLIC:
Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the acquisition and/or modification of these lights.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned

FLASHAHOLIC (n) : Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and who's interest often results in the production, acquisition and/or modification of these lights.

Is that OK? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

A flashaholic?

Look in the mirror...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tattoou2

Enlightened

6 Signs You're a "Flashaholic:" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6 - You hear the lyric from The Doors song "set the night on fire," it means only one thing...modding that Mag! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5 - You take out a rider on your home insurance policy just to insure your E2E /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4 - Your wife or girlfriend asks why you constantly have your hand in your pants pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3 - Your only bathroom reading material is the SureFire catalog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2 - You stay home from work or school just to meet the UPS guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

and the #1 sign...

1 - You tell your wife or girlfriend you are taking the dog out for a walk at midnight and you don't even have a dog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm sure we can think of many more, but these came to mind rather quickly...

Be good to each other and remember to lube those O-rings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

This reminds me of the "You know you're addicted to Digimon when..." list that was going on in another forum a couple of summers ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
FLASHAHOLIC (n) : Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about portable lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and who's interest often results in the production, acquisition and/or modification of these lights.

Is that OK? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomas,

I like "production" but it implies something commercial, like ARC which probably represents the last stage of Flashaholism where you actually start producing and selling them in the open market. What about including "creating" in addition to "producing"? I'm not sure how to juggle these. I also thought that acquisition should come before production because usually we buy lights before modifying or creating them.

What do you think?

Brightnorm