ICON Modus 1 and Modus 2

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing the ICON website and it looks like they have two new polymer models with TIR optics: Modus 1 and Modus 2.

Modus 1:
specs

light output: 50/6 lumens
runtime: 3/70 hours
length: 4 inches
weight: 2.8 ounces
weatherproof: up to 1 meter
battery: one AA alkaline

iconmodus1.jpg

Modus 2:
specs

light output: 100/10 lumens
runtime: 3/72 hours
length: 6 inches
weight: 4.7 ounces
weatherproof: up to 1 meter
battery: two AA alkalines

iconmodus2.jpg

I can't seem to find any dealers that carry either of them at the moment though (none on eBay either). :thinking:

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
A little too futuristic for my taste. But to each his own.

As interesting design pieces, I really do like these lights and would consider one for my collection if they did not have the overdone logo on the head that I think detracts from the sleek ultramodern design

DM51

Flashaholic
Well spotted, RobertM.

These are presumably aimed at the mass market, and if they get the price right they could do extremely well.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Well spotted, RobertM.

These are presumably aimed at the mass market, and if they get the price right they could do extremely well.

Exactly. Although we are fiercely brand conscious around here, that doesn't mean we like to splash company logos all over the place (if our flashlights even have company logos). . . .

But the mass market loves to pay for prominent brand logos, and Icon will give them that.

But then again, my personal preference is to have NO logos on any of my gear if at all possible and so my preferences may not be the same as most.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool looking but nothing special output-wise

I guess if one is only in the pursuit of the brightest ;) Most tasks that one uses a flashlight for wont require 1000 lumens of light.
I think the output levels and runtime of the Modus 1 looks like it would be a nice, compact, AA powered power-outage light at the very least. If the price is right, I might have to check one out.

I sent an email to ICON last night inquiring about a release date/dealer info...I'll let you guys know if I find out anything.

-Robert

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more thoughts and questions about the new Icon brand:

I can't seem to find any dealers that carry either of them at the moment though (none on eBay either). :thinking:

The first Icon Rogue I found was at Supremeco's showroom in Hong Kong, weeks before U.S. dealers had them. I'm still puzzled that months later the Icons haven't surfaced on Amazon or on the rack at Lowe's, both places have a selection of SF's.

I wonder if CPF is still actively promoting the new Icon brand through raffles and such? Will there be a PK signed Modus giveaway here? Or will the new FTC guidelines have an impact on that?

In the U.S., the Federal Trade Commission has recently taken an interest in gushing product endorsements and reviews on blogs and forums, especially where there is an undisclosed 'material connection' between the admins and the manufacturer (not saying that is the case here on CPF):

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/endorse.htm

For the PK fanboys, there is this autograph request caution on the 'contact' page of the Icon site:

Please fill out this form; we'll get back to you soon. Autograph requests for Paul Kim will go unanswered, but all other comments will be promptly addressed. Thanks for being an ICONista, or at least considering the option.

Perhaps the style of the website designer, but to a country boy like me, it seems that the Icon online marketing is geared toward making the lights a trendy must have accessory for a young demographic. See PK's 'ICON design' video here (the middle one) where he expounds upon this theme:

http://www.myiconlight.com/myiconlight/content/templates/main/main/designer.html

The blurb on the Icon 'meet the designer' page starts: "Paul Kim (aka PK) is the preeminent flashlight designer on the planet..."

As Dizzy Dean allegedly observed, 'If you done it, it ain't braggin'!':thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Don't really care for the style (reminds me of toilet porcelain). But 1AA convenience, optic lens for efficiency, light weight polymer, simple 2-modes, lower cost... these things could make it a winner.

Hopefully it won't have the strange output regulation curve of its Rogue siblings... this would be a deal breaker in my book. Flat regulation is a must have for me.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
modus 2 doesnt look so bad, but modus 1 is a bit ugly

i like the rogues better...

like DM51 said if its priced right, it'll do well...i think 40-50 is still expenisve for your average user...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the middle "flying buttress" part will be removeable - if even only forceably. If the plastic is tough and scratch resistant like SF Nitrolon then this will be a good loaner and general knock-around light. I hate it when I drop an AL light on concrete or brick and it gets that first gouge showing shiny AL spots. Plastic will typically give more, take more, and show less - though there is the heat concerns which they do address by hinting at... the use of at least somewhat thermally conductive plastic?? Hmm, some plastic is better than others, but none approach AL.
Can't wait to see how the optics perform.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hate to say it but from a looks aspect I like the Modus better than the Rouge line. Depending on price point I may grab one for my mom and my mother in law. If they come in black or grey my dad may get one also ;)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hate to say it but from a looks aspect I like the Modus better than the Rouge line. Depending on price point I may grab one for my mom and my mother in law. If they come in black or grey my dad may get one also ;)
Why do you 'hate to say it' ? :)
Immediately and without hesitation I find the MODUS design and style to be far more attractive than the ROUGE. Specifically the MODUS 1 just makes me want to pick it up and use it - it looks like it is made specifically to be held in the hand (which is actually extremely rare in the flashlight world IMHO)

Al :D