Airbrush Sputtering reflector

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried Sputtering their stock mag reflector? I am considering using Airbrush to spray a "mist" of clear gloss coating on the reflector to see how compares with Krylon Sputtering. Any idea how this idea will work?

Thanks

R@ndom

Enlightened
Has anyone tried Sputtering their stock mag reflector? I am considering using Airbrush to spray a "mist" of clear gloss coating on the reflector to see how compares with Krylon Sputtering. Any idea how this idea will work?

Thanks

A good MOP reflector is only 10 bucks... But anyway people had success with hairspray so I don't see how your method would work less well.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a great idea, I wouldn't recommend using a incan bulb with it, but you wouldn't do that with a plastic reflector anyways.

Happy sputtering.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you going to spray a light coat to flatten the finish or a heavy coat and use the runs to scatter the light?

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try spraying it on thick, if it's sprayed thing you mind get too fine of a coat and not get a proper sputtered effect.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
IMO an airbrush would be too fine but then again you probably could control the spray pattern somewhat with a double action brush. I think it would still be too fine though. Would be good for the final coat.

I rely on the larger mist size to to achieve how much texture I want. I've tried very fine tips which requires a lot more coats to get what I want. For me, the initial coats is how much texture I want, the final coat affects how shiny I want it to appear. Many of us have our own different techniques though.

I can simulate LOP, MOP, HOP, & stipple. I've had lots of practice! I've probably easily have done well into the hundreds of these, probably into the 200s, seriously. I've grown tired over the years but I still do them here & there for builds.

Sputtered Mag Reflectors (Sale Thread)
Modified MiniMag Reflectors (Sale Thread)

The pics in those threads are down right now but should be back up soon.

If you try with an airbrush, I would love to hear your results.

Here's some pics showing the different textures I have done.

Img_1883.jpg

Img_1577.jpg

Img_3668.jpg

Img_3720.jpg

Img_3346.jpg

Img_2368.jpg

Img_2206.jpg

Img_2217.jpg

Img_8958.jpg

Img_2081.jpg

:wave:

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the comments. I guess my fear that airbrushing will be too fine for the reflector is true. I will try sputtering nail polish using a toothbrush to see if the results are better.

My other question is does collimator lens produce a better beam? I have read that they are more effective than reflectors. I have actually ordered this and a P7. And I will not be able to see the results till they are delivered.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Thank you for the comments. I guess my fear that airbrushing will be too fine for the reflector is true. I will try sputtering nail polish using a toothbrush to see if the results are better.

My other question is does collimator lens produce a better beam? I have read that they are more effective than reflectors. I have actually ordered this and a P7. And I will not be able to see the results till they are delivered.

What medium are you using? I've sputtered a mag reflector before with clear acrylic & it worked out okay (no pics, I gifted the light).

I increased the distance to allow the sputtering effect to take place (the paint will partial dry before it hits the reflector.) This is normally NOT the airbrushing form that you want but, it is in this case. Alternatively, you can also increase the air pressure to create this effect. You want to allow each light coat to dry before the next.

What's the setup you're using? Are you using a dual action AB & what's your air source?
-AZ

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
What medium are you using? I've sputtered a mag reflector before with clear acrylic & it worked out okay (no pics, I gifted the light).

I increased the distance to allow the sputtering effect to take place (the paint will partial dry before it hits the reflector.) This is normally NOT the airbrushing form that you want but, it is in this case. Alternatively, you can also increase the air pressure to create this effect. You want to allow each light coat to dry before the next.

What's the setup you're using? Are you using a dual action AB & what's your air source?
-AZ

I am using a Badger dual action AB with a 6 bar diaphram compressor. I was using an acrylic based paint though it didnt look as "transparent or clear" as I thought it would. I was considering the Finisher's GP1 Polyurethane paint for the reflector but it's a little costly.

Were you happy with the results from your airbrushing?

alphazeta

Enlightened
I am using a Badger dual action AB with a 6 bar diaphram compressor. I was using an acrylic based paint though it didnt look as "transparent or clear" as I thought it would. I was considering the Finisher's GP1 Polyurethane paint for the reflector but it's a little costly.

Were you happy with the results from your airbrushing?

Your setup should be okay but I wonder about the compressor. Do you get pulsations with your pressure? I currently use gravity-feed Iwatas & a Silentair 20A but even with my earlier setups I still always went with a some form of air reservoir (i.e.- tank) to smooth out the pressure.

For acrylics, I used to only use Tamiyas but for clear I use something MUCH cheaper. I use "Future floor shine". In the hobby circles, it's well known to be a 100% acrylic paint. There is no need to thin the ratio of your mix when using Future.

I was happy with my results but, I've had a good amount of practice with overcoating with Future.

Also, I recall diaphram compressors only going to about 30~40psi. You didn't mention if your badger was a siphon/bottom fed, side fed or Gravity/top fed. For side fed & siphon airbrushes, 30~40psi from a diaphram compressor might not give the best results.
However, try to increase your spray distance or thin your mix just a tad. But do try using Future. I've tried much pricier mediums with less desirable results.

Hope that helps,
AZ

Latest posts