Nitecore EZ 123 Review: A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted for consideration for the review forum:

Nitecore EZ 123

Nitecore has now begun to expand their EZ series of lights with new power options including this model utilizing the venerable CR123A cell. This series drops the standard programmable, feature-rich user interfaces that Nitecore is known for in favor of a simple 2 stage light that requires no complex learning curve to operate.

Nitecore EZ 123

Meat and Potatoes

The Nitecore EZ 123 is an extremely small CR123A powered light designed for easy carry and use. The light itself is barely bigger than the cell powering it. I was extremely surprised when comparing the size of the EZ 123 to the Nitecore EX10. Previously the EX10 was viewed as a nearly impossibly minute light when considering the power source. I had never conceived that I would see the day the EX10 would appear to be bloated and overweight. Next to the EZ 123 it looks just that, due to the EZ series' surprising compactness. Nitecore has also done a fantastic job taking their existing high quality knurling and finish and applying it once again to this new light. The flawless black type III anodizing and the addition of the brass heatsink/threading/accent is a fantastic aesthetic treat that is a beauty to behold.

Nitecore has chosen a 2 stage twisty switch for the EZ 123 in an attempt to make a much simpler, easier access light. This is realized in a basic to understand: tighten the head to turn it on and tighten more to switch to high. What really shines about this concept is that there is so little explaining to do if you ever have to hand your light to a friend or family member to use. You don't have to run through any kind of preflight checklist before you are able to let them loose with your light.

The beam of the EZ 123 is quite surprising actually. Since their introduction, the Cree XR-E based lights have struggled with a now infamous dark ring surrounding the central spot of light. In the EZ AA this ring seems to have been very drastically minimized. There is still a couple small artifacts in the beam but no where near what I expected with a very lightly textured reflector of this minuscule size. More surprising is the fact that the beam is focused tighter than even my Nitecore EX10 that utilizes a wider reflector. This goes against conventional wisdom saying you need a larger reflector to create a tighter beam. My own personal preferences for an EDC style light are for a wide smooth beam however this is clearly a well designed decision rather than merely accidental.

Nitecore has designated Low power to be 20 lumens and High to be 180 lumens. My own experiences, though less than scientific, have been that both numbers appear mostly accurate at least considering the numbers before optical losses from the reflector and lens. The 180 lumen High mode is noticeably brighter than the 130 lumen full power setting on the Nitecore EX10, creating an incredibly small powerhouse of a light. The low power setting is an even more pleasant surprise. What Nitecore deems to be a 20 lumen low level presents itself as an extremely useful general brightness beam. I personally have found it perfectly adequate for the vast majority of my daily lighting needs.

Nitecore EZ 123

Constructive Criticism

Some people have expressed concern about the amount of twisting required to step between Low and High modes. I do not see this as a problem, as the modes on my EZ 123 are spaced fairly close together. What I do take issue with is the amount of force required to traverse that last portion of threading before switching occurs. In my light, getting to the High output requires so much effort that it is nearly impossible to activate single-handed. It is definitely not a comfortable prospect to consider. I believe that this is caused by the anti-rattle foam used in the head of the light. When completely tightening, this foam seems to be compressed nearly to it's full extent before High mode kicks in. Secondly, though this light is capable of handling the input voltage of 16340 Li-ion cells, this same foam induced pressure exerts so much force on the cell being used that I am worried about damage or displacement of the protection circuit on the bottom of the cell. The obvious solution is to merely wait until the foam looses some of its springiness, but it might be some time before that happens and a light should not have to have a "break in" period before it is useful. Perhaps some form of spring could replace the foam allowing for a more controlled anti-rattle mechanism that doesn't exert quite so much resistance.

When running for any extended period on High, the EZ 123 definitely gets quite warm rather quickly. With so little metal in use in the body of this light, heat dissipation becomes more of a challenge. Once again it comes to mind that Nitecore may want to consider the possibility of ever so slightly decreasing the top end output of their EZ series in favor of both increased runtime and better thermal management on the high levels. As it stands currently, I recommend this to be a short burst mode only. Thankfully the low level is, as previously stated, the low level is extremely useful.

Nitecore EZ 123

Conclusions

The EZ 123 definitely shines as a capable light in a rather diminutive space. It's simple to use design, solid output, and extreme compactness come together in a very attractive package. This CR123A flavored EZ light is a worthwhile addition to Nitecores already impressive lineup.

Forthcoming is the review of the EZ CR2, however I am still waiting on cells to use during testing.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is really a good review.....thanks!!!

DimGR

Newly Enlightened
i bought this flashlight last week. To say i am amazed is an understatement. I got the EZ 123 R2 with 200 lumens output
super bright

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am quite fond of this little light. High quality and obvious simplicity.

It seems though that Nitecore is altering the EZ series user interface from here on out. I haven't yet seen a thread about it, but I guess it's time to go look.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought this flashlight last week. To say i am amazed is an understatement. I got the EZ 123 R2 with 200 lumens output
super bright

Aardvark, do you know whether the current EZ123 (not the upcoming changed UI :confused: version) uses an XR-E or XP-E R2? I have an older EZCR2W and EZAAW, but an R2 on a CR123 must be a screamer. But is it going to be a little floody and a nice beam (XP-E) or have some throw but with those annoying rings (XR-E) ?

DimGR

Newly Enlightened
couple pictures at night ;)

i was 50-60 meters away

DSC02912.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02914.jpg