I'm looking for a new weapon light, Primary Arms?

Crater_Crater

Newly Enlightened
I've been curious about that light too, but unless its a multi die emitter I can't see it being 380 lumens? Does anybody know what LED it is using?

jchoo

Enlightened
FWIW, I would spend a bit more and buy this:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lightmount.html#

I have never heard of Primary Arms before, but looking closely at the photos, it appears to be fairly low quality, and geared toward the airsoft crowd. I would not put something like that on a fighting gun. Second, even if it is capable of actually generating 380 lumens of light (and I highly doubt that it can), you certainly don't want that much light when using a carbine in your home/across your property/etc. Also, it looks REALLY heavy - heavy enough to badly upset the balance of your AR.

That Viking Tactics branded SF is pretty much exactly what I have for mounting on my AR - a single level E2DL. The only difference is mine has a scalloped tailcap and a strike bezel; I'll actually be using the Viking Tactics VTAC mount when I finally finish building my gun.

Crater_Crater

Newly Enlightened
Yea, according to what I found the 380 lumens claim is at the emitter, and the emitter is S. Korean.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider this:

1) The upcoming 4-die LED weapon lights in SureFires future. I should probably email or call and see if they know when they will be ready. Something a lot of us at the Dept. are waiting for.

2) Only one company named has proven reliability mounted on weapons.

It was mentioned in this post :)

I wouldn't want to be the guy who tested a product. I'll leave that to various SOF units.

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
I have a few lights including a Surefire c2 Centurion with a malkoff drop-in that i could use. The problem is the C2 has a funny shaped body and I can't find a mount for it.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if this will work?

I've seen one mounted before, so I know it's possible.

Because of the square shape, if you put a round clamp around the square body, where the four corners touched the clamp wouldn't be much smaller than an inch.

Probably wouldn't be very secure.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if this will work?

I've seen one mounted before, so I know it's possible.

Because of the square shape, if you put a round clamp around the square body, where the four corners touched the clamp wouldn't be much smaller than an inch.

Probably wouldn't be very secure.

You'll need the M79, for the 1" bodies. The M78 is for the 1" bezel lights (.80" bodies). SF doesn't advertise them anymore, but they still make them...I know optics planet and B&H Photo has them. But, with 6P bodies going for so cheap on the MP, you could get one for ~$18, and keep your C2 as a handheld.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need the M79, for the 1" bodies. The M78 is for the 1" bezel lights (.80" bodies). SF doesn't advertise them anymore, but they still make them...I know optics planet and B&H Photo has them. But, with 6P bodies going for so cheap on the MP, you could get one for ~$18, and keep your C2 as a handheld.

I didn't think the C2 would fit in the 1inch clamp. Curious as if it would fit in the .8.

I agree with you though.

Getting a 6P and throwing a Malkoff in there with a 1 inch clamp would be the best route to go.

I wouldn't be too hopeful with the stock bulb and recoil. It would run on limited time.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you wanting a light for indoor defensive purposes or outdoors for hunting etc.? Do you need more of a flood or throw beam?

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
Indoor purposes. The more I think about it I probably would want one setting of about 65-75 lumens. The real bright lights like my Eagletac M2xc4 are just too bright on all but the lowest settings for in the house. The C2 centurion with the Malkoff would be too bright to me for a tactical enclosed area flashlight.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with a 6P w/ a P60 or M60L(Lower output version of the M60), and one of those tac-star tape switches. You can use any 1" light mount, but I prefer the inline.

As far as a rail to attach the mount too, we'll need to know a few things...what's the length of the barrel? And do you have an extended magazine? This would help in determining the best option. On my 870 express (23" barrel/regular mag), I have to mount the light towards the front, or use the Vikings Off-Set above the receiver, so I don't get the shadow of the barrel, but on my 870 Marine magnum (18" Barrel/extend mag), I can just mount it to the mag.

Here's a sample of the 18" barrel with the magazine extension...the scout light's mounted to a B-Square picatinny rail that mounts to the mag...the streamlight rail mounts behind the magazine cap...

HPIM0516-1.jpg

Last edited:

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
Newbie...with a couple of thoughts on Primary Arms

I got a Primary M4 Clone based on their reviews and links on AR15.com.

I have NO experience with their flashlight, only the M4 Clone.

I got it to see how it might work as a cheap red dot (vs. $400+ Aimpoint or EoTech).

I have had a couple of EoTechs in the past and used an Aimpoint once (not mine, just had a chance to shoot it a bit). I also have a Hakko Blue Ring red dot...one of the better Aimpoint type red dot sights (as a reasonable quality budget red dot scope).

I compared the Primary Arms to the Hakko (the Primary is actually built better with glued-in electronics, a heavier body, clicks at each brightness setting, etc). Not up to Aimpont quality, but at 1/4 the cost (and it comes with a mount) it is a very durable budget red dot for casual shooters. Considering that someone took a Hakko and (intentionally) abused the hell out of it (dropped it, threw it, hit it, left it outside in the cold, etc.) and it worked fine...I'd expect the P.A. red dot to do very well also.

Just for fun, I put a Lithium AA battery in the scope. Primary reports 400 hours run time.....So, I set the brightness setting on #2--bright enough to see it in a well-lit room, and set it for the "EoTech" big circle around a dot.

I did that on August 17. As of today...it's still running (49 DAYS later...1100 Hours).

The vendor (Marsh1 on AR15.com) doesn't present the scope as an Aimpoint (or Eotech) replacement....just as a quality budget scope. The same for his weapon light. I'm considering getting one as a trial (so I can see if I like the click switch or tape switch, and various mounting positions--considering that you get the light, both switches and the mount for $100, it's a good way to figure out what you want).

If I was going in "harms way" as a Police Officer or Soldier, I'd get the best possible $500+ Weapon Light...however, as a casual user, the Primary makes a good trial light.

Just a few thoughts on the manufacturer/vendor (If I get the Primary light in the near future, I'll post some kind of a review).