Pyrex LS Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtsoll

Enlightened
This has probably already been addressed but is it possible to have a pyrex lens put in an LS? If Arc doesn't supply them could you buy one or have one made and have Arc put it in for you? Don't really know I'm concerned about it but I am. Think I'll just chill about this......... Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would very much like to see ucl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

or sapphire crystal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Roth,
give me the skinny on these you refer to. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
www.flashlightlens.com

great stuff!
they also make custom sizes for $7 (up to a certain size i think...)
so if you open your arc, you could get a measurement and have them make one.

sapphire cystal is something else, and very expensive!

dtsoll

Enlightened
I don't think I would open my Arc up. If I got one do you think Arc would install it? I'm talkin about payin em to do it you see. Just wonderin. Not sure whether I would do it or not. UCL stand for something? Thanks Rothrandir. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Why does Arc use plastic lenses anyway? Shatterproof, yes, but I wouldn't put it in my pocket along with loose change, which IMO significantly reduces its EDC potential. Why not mineral glass? Over the years the mineral glass crystals on my watches have taken horrendous abuse. Careless arm swings into metal door frame corners. Scratching along dirt and stone through tight spots. I've never had one shatter, and years of wear haven't scratched them significantly. My experience with Lexan, including the Marguard version, leads me to seriously doubt its choice.

What sort of assumptions, testing, and conclusions led to the Arc choice?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ucl stand for ultra clear lens. it is completely clear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i too don't like the choice of lexan, but i believe peter chose it due to the shatterproofness.

i'm sure that if you sent arc some money, and ordered a lens to their facility, they might be able to drop it in instead of a lexan.
but it might be a hassle for them...everyone has their price though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
send them enough and they'll do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
Is there a lens that would work with a mcflood reflector? I have one in a grey kit that was massaged by AB and I love the beam, but it would be nice to have a lens in front of it to give it a little protection from dust and water.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ab's doesn't have a lens? hmm...

not certain if the older ls1's (what is used inthe grey kits...) can use lenses....

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Roth hit it on the nose... Chris from Flashlightlens.com cut me a pair of 20mm Schott B270 lenses for my Arcs and they are ultra clear. I found that I had to shave down the lens to just a slight bit under 20mm to fit properly... but otherwise, a nice fit and great upgrade.

-Jim

Tomas

Banned
Just a question: Would 19mm be be an OK size? That would be less than 0.5mm smaller all around than what you shaved the UCL to ...

sapphire.jpg

(from the "sapphire" link above...)

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
My opinion is that 19mm would fit just fine... I measured the B270 20mm lens after I trimmed it down and got a rough averaged measure of a little more than 19mm.

As far as waterproofness... I think 19mm or less would definitely have an affect on it... but I've yet to try it.

I'm too much of a coward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jim

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hmmmmm…. well, that one's a bit more difficult. It involves getting right down to the NX05 optics. In fact, the most difficult part is getting past the Loc-tite that holds the inner retaining ring which holds the LS and optics in place. A heat gun and a modified Spanner wrench are recommended, although a Dremel tool will do the same job – you just need to make sure you have a replacement retaining ring handy if you're going to rip that persistent ring out. I was lucky and had only a minor head-butting incident with the Loc-tite involved in my Arc LS'…

I think CPF'er ufokillerz has some better details to share (he's modded a few of the Seconds with obvious success).

Personally, I don't think opening up the unit to replace the lens is worthwhile unless you're going to do some more modding to it. A ten year warranty is really something to speak of for a precision unit.

-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.