Help for a budget 64458 build

xeonsaga88

Newly Enlightened
Hi , is there any alternative for FM's 16AA Quad bored 4D M*g 64458 (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237793)?

I am looking towards building my own, would it be cheaper?

For this build i would need
1.A 4D Mag quad bored
2. 16 AA cells holder by FM
3.An osram 64458 bulb
4.AW's Mag D incan driver

Is there anything else that i am missing other than the metal reflector and the borofloat lens?

Thanks

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It souldn't be hard to look up those things and price them out. Jesus Hernandez does boring as well as a few other members. I've bought a light from Jesus myself though, his work is very good. Just about all those things are available here on CPF main in custom b/s/t and the marketplace.

khoalie

Newly Enlightened
Just built one myself.

1x mag 4D
5x AW IMR 26500
1x Kiu ceramic socket kit
1" sch 40 pvc pipe
bulbs/reflector/lens

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
5x AW IMR 26500

Hmmm... this is food for thought, what voltage did you find you were getting at the bulb?

I guess the runtime using those 2.3A cells to supply a 7.5A+ current would equate to something in the vicinity of 15 minutes (less as it becomes more overdriven)? :thinking:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi , is there any alternative for FM's 16AA Quad bored 4D M*g 64458 (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237793)?

Thanks
Yes, but it's not a budget light.
A 17th cell will make the 64458 run on the edge at the start and will reward you to no end with an ear to ear grin but you'd be running a fine line on hot off the charger cells. 18 cells on a user adjustable regulator like the Jimmy M PHD would take all the worry out of the equation. It's a great 90 watt bulb but to get the most from it you have to push it beyond 200 overdriven watts.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... this is food for thought, what voltage did you find you were getting at the bulb?

I guess the runtime using those 2.3A cells to supply a 7.5A+ current would equate to something in the vicinity of 15 minutes (less as it becomes more overdriven)? :thinking:

It's more like 9.5A and 12 minutes.