Looking for an AAA/AA flashlight with assult crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uri998

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm looking for a AAA/AA flashlight, that can be carried in the pocket, with an assault crown(for self defnce).
My budget is under 20$, i'll be happy to hear your suggestions.
(I can order from DX and FocalPrice only).

Thanks a lot!!

Uri.

P.S : I have a MTE C2-1, Is there a way to buy an assault crown for it?

Last edited:

Legend

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you'll find any light with a sturdy crenellated bezel with that budget.

Try carrying a kubaton if you can't legally carry a knife. Kubatons look harmless as a keychain but can break small bones and cause enough pain to dissuade an attacker.

My advice on flashlights would be to part with more money for a quality light. It doesn't have to be Surefire, there are other well-built lights with crenellated bezels available for much less than what they cost but still more than DX specials.

I'm sure another user will be more helpful than me.

Last edited:

uri998

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!
I have 2 questions:
1) what about this light: Ultrafire A10 sku19187?
2)Does dx or focal sell kubaton? I couldnt find it there

Thanks,

Uri.

CampingLED

Enlightened
I have many lights with "assault crowns" and initially I also purchased many lights with strobe modes. Today these same "assault crowns" and strobe modes make me wish I made better choices. The assault crowns are not practical for EDCs as they are not comfortable to carry.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I have many lights with "assault crowns" and initially I also purchased many lights with strobe modes. Today these same "assault crowns" and strobe modes make me wish I made better choices. The assault crowns are not practical for EDCs as they are not comfortable to carry.

Seconded - although I've seen some with more rounded edges that wouldn't be so bad.

The one on my 6P Defender is (IMO) too jagged and sharp, and I don't see where that'd make any difference in defensive use other than making someone bleed.

A set of small gashes on someones skin isn't going to make any difference in a fight IMO - it'd be all about the impact...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A set of small gashes on someones skin isn't going to make any difference in a fight IMO - it'd be all about the impact...

I think it will make a difference. But not in a good way:)

Your mugging someone, and suddenly the victim hit you in your face with a tiny flashlight. Blood is pumping out of your face and instantly adrenaline rush trough your veins.
How do you think you would have reacted? Start to run or, do what you came for? High on adrenaline you will probably be angry and extra hard on this poor guy:crackup::ohgeez:

+1 on the impact.

If you want good self defense, buy yourself some good running shoes :twothumbs or something heavy.
I actually think a 1,5 liter bottle of soda slapped to the face would do more harm than a edc flashlight (more mass in motion). Those plastic bottles are legal everywhere, and i bet they do have the punch needed to daze/knockout someone. Well.. only if you can hit that tiny moving target on the sweet spot..

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I think it will make a difference. But not in a good way:)

Your mugging someone, and suddenly the victim hit you in your face with a tiny flashlight. Blood is pumping out of your face and instantly adrenaline rush trough your veins.
How do you think you would have reacted? Start to run or, do what you came for? High on adrenaline you will probably be angry and extra hard on this poor guy:crackup::ohgeez:

+1 on the impact.

If you want good self defense, buy yourself some good running shoes :twothumbs or something heavy.
I actually think a 1,5 liter bottle of soda slapped to the face would do more harm than a edc flashlight (more mass in motion). Those plastic bottles are legal everywhere, and i bet they do have the punch needed to daze/knockout someone. Well.. only if you can hit that tiny moving target on the sweet spot..

I am quite confident I could fracture a human skull with my 6P Defender if I really went off. I wouldn't be TOO surprised if multiple hits to the head could actually kill someone.

Not going to happen with a plastic soda bottle, and probably not even with a glass soda bottle.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am quite confident I could fracture a human skull with my 6P Defender if I really went off. I wouldn't be TOO surprised if multiple hits to the head could actually kill someone.

Not going to happen with a plastic soda bottle, and probably not even with a glass soda bottle.

As long as they stand still for the several minutes that would take, even if you could somehow get the power behind the swing that you would need to fracture a skull, even at a weak point.

xenonk

Enlightened
The Romisen RC-H3 and B3 are mildly crenelated. I don't think such things really cut it was kubatons, though.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today these same "assault crowns" and strobe modes make me wish I made better choices. The assault crowns are not practical for EDCs as they are not comfortable to carry.

If you want good self defense, buy yourself some good running shoes :twothumbs.

Two pieces of sage advice here that should be heavily considered :thumbsup:

Don't want to start a self defense effectiveness debate and wont take any bait, but seriously, if you insist on resisting as opposed to just giving over your watch & wallet (which can be replaced unlike your life and that of whomever is with you) or making a run for it, there are far better options than a crenelated bezel or tactical strobe (pepper spray if legal in your area is probably the safest and easiest to use effectively with the least amount of training).

Don't fall into the crenelated bezel or tactical strobe hype/delusion/false sense of security - I think they are nothing more than very clever marketing - but, thats an entirely different thread.

Again, sorry for deviating from the OPs original topic but, I think these are important points that can help the OP make the most informed choice :D

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know this is all hypothetical but, in todays legal climate, I would be willing to bet if one "really went off" and used excessive force on the ATTACKER and killed them in self defense with a light, you'd most likely wind up being charged with something and/or see a civil suit :ironic:

Also, I wonder how walking around with a crenelated bezel would look in the eyes of a jury...?

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I know this is all hypothetical but, in todays legal climate, I would be willing to bet if one "really went off" and used excessive force on the ATTACKER and killed them in self defense with a light, you'd most likely wind up being charged with something and/or see a civil suit :ironic:

Also, I wonder how walking around with a crenelated bezel would look in the eyes of a jury...?

No, I meant that I could probably fracture a skull with one hit - the "points" of the Defender strike bezel are about like a 3/8 inch wide flathead screwdriver blade, and just as thin. Maybe a bit thinner. The light itself has somewhat substantial weight behind it too, at least if it's being swung fast and hard. I would very seriously not want that light even being THROWN full force at my head...

Unlike a flathead screwdriver though it'd be pretty easy to concentrate the totality of a swing right on to the "blade".

So picture swinging a flathead screwdriver with all your force at someone's skull, and nailing an absolutely perfect "gouge" with it. I wouldn't want to bet money on the integrity of the skull under this circumstance.

As for the repeated strikes scenario, well I'd have to have one hell of a determined opponent to resort to that because I'd be seriously worried about the injury, liability, and incarceration potential for ME.

Realistically I can't even imagine the need for such an action unless someone on PCP was attacking me.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

I'm looking for a AAA/AA flashlight, that can be carried in the pocket, with an assault crown(for self defnce).

I'm just trying to picture my LD01 with an assault crown then a would be attacker laughing himself silly when i wave it around, i think i could run away when he's rolling on the floor laughing. Maybe i could attack a rodent with the assault crown on a AAA light. :crackup:

But seriously, i dont think any AA/AAA lights come equipped with assault crowns as they're so small and discussions on the use of flashlights as defence weapons aren't usually open for long here.

For self defence discussions, i think it would be more appropriately discussed in a proper forum devoted to such issues.

cheers.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best assault crown there is. Uses AAA. :crackup:

865348e.jpg

But 3x your asking price.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!
I have 2 questions:
1) what about this light: Ultrafire A10 sku19187?
2)Does dx or focal sell kubaton? I couldnt find it there

Unless you plan on using rechargeable Li-Ion batteries in the A10 you probably already have a better AA light. With 14500s you would likely get more light out of the A10 than your C2-1.

In our military self-defense class they told us that one of the best self-defense weapons you could carry inconspicuously is a sturdy metal clickie ballpoint pen. With your C2-1 in one hand helping to blind your attacker and a sturdy pen in the other jabbing toward his eyes I think you would discourage someone a lot faster than the minimal damage the A10 could inflict. And a pen in your shirt pocket is more quickly accessed than something on your keychain. Of course you would want to be able to prove your life was really in jeopardy if you stuck a pen in someone's eye.

I don't see an assault crown for your light. The lights I currently have with assault crowns I would very much like to replace with smooth ones. Even on the P7s, which might be of marginal use in a self-defense situation.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
But seriously, i dont think any AA/AAA lights come equipped with assault crowns as they're so small and discussions on the use of flashlights as defence weapons aren't usually open for long here.

For self defence discussions, i think it would be more appropriately discussed in a proper forum devoted to such issues.

cheers.

Sage advise there. Wouldn't want to see this thread closed as a result.

uri998

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thank you all!!

Does the A10 gives better light then the c2-1?
DX wrote the A10 is 220 lumens, and c2 is 170.

Is it really better?

Thanks!

xenonk

Enlightened
You can't believe any of the lumen or current ratings on DX. They post whatever their suppliers tell them without verification, so you have to rely on comparisons and reviews.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thank you all!!

Does the A10 gives better light then the c2-1?

Is it really better?

Thanks!

If you look at the allowable voltage for your C2-1 it is 1.2v – 1.5v. That means you are restricted to 1.2v – 1.5v batteries. The A10 lists allowable voltage as 0.8v – 4.2v. That means it can take 3v lithium or 3.7v Li-Ion batteries. The theoretical lumens on the A10 is rated for 3.7v Li-Ions and the C2-1 for 1.5v AAs. If you use AAs in the A10 the theoretical as well as the actual lumens will probably be much lower than with Li-Ions.

The budget light thread says the C2-1 is especially bright on AAs. It is unlikely the A10 will be brighter with AAs and quite possible it will not be as bright. But if you are going to get a charger and Li-Ion batteries the A10 is likely to be brighter but that isn't a certainty either. It might also be brighter with 3v primaries – again no certainty.

That is why I said it had a lot to do with the batteries you will use in my previous post. If you plan to stick with alkaline or NiMH I think it is very unlikely the A10 will be brighter and very possible it won't be as bright. As xenonk says, nothing is absolutely sure until someone tests them. Why don't you get both and give us a report?

Status
Not open for further replies.