Acebeam        

Thread: Best upgrade lamp for A2?

Enlightened

Default Best upgrade lamp for A2?

Hey guys, I am a noob with incans and I just got a mint Surefire A2. Its output is a little less than I would like, so what can I drop in it to bring it to life?

Default Re: Best upgrade lamp for A2?

Since the aviator is a regulator fed incandescent, changing the lamp or the battery won't alter the output, rather it may bring down the efficiency of it.

The only lamps currently available [independent from Surefire] is the Lumen Factory HO-A2, and the streamlight strion lamp [must be used with the A2 holder custom built by Fivemega]

Enlightened

Dang, I did not know it was regulated. I might just have to dump this thing. I looked up the Strion socket and it does not seem that there are any available. Does that sound right? I guess I could try the HO-A2, but at only 120 lumens, I don't know if it is worth it. What is the most output you can get out of 6 or 7 volts with an incan?

Theoretically, about 250 lumens/watt. Recent work with quantum incandescents approaches 200 lumens/watt, using buckytube deposition on a hot element to tune photon wavelengths. This won't see light of ... uhm... anyway, it won't be ready for a while yet.

The HO-A2 or Strion will bump up output noticably, though.

Flashaholic*

Glad someone asked, was thinking of getting a A2 before SF discontinues them. Apparently the Strion holders are not being made anymore.

Would anyone know the runtimes of the Lumens Factory lamp? Looks promising as a replacement for the stock MA02

The Runtime is about 40 mins on 2 x CR123 Primary Cells
    We will not fade silently into the night! Keep that hotwire burning!
    http://www.lumensfactory.com

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/LumensFactory

Wink Re: Best upgrade lamp for A2?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSword View Post
    Dang, I did not know it was regulated.
    the main reason why its price so high is the voltage regulation, known only to a handful of lights in existence that has regulated incandescent capability. The good thing is whether your batteries are 100% or 40% you get basically the same amount of output, rather than white for 100% and orange for 40%, the down side is there is very little upgrades you can use because the output voltage is fixed by the internal regulator
    Last edited by Illum; 08-03-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    the main reason why its price so high is the regulation, known only to a handful of lights in existence that has regulated incandescent capability. The good thing is whether your batteries are 100% or 40% you get basically the same amount of output, rather than white for 100% and orange for 40%, the down side is there is very little upgrades you can use because the output power is fixed by the internal regulator
    That's wrong. Output power is NOT regulated. Output voltage is regulated.
    Power=Voltage*current
    Regulator can tolerate some higher current. Strion bulb pulls about 1.8 Amps while stock bulb pulls about 1.4 Amps in A2

Please see DM51's Strion revew.

Enlightened

Hey FM, I was hoping to get one of your kits for the Strion, but it appears you are out of them. Is that correct?

Flashaholic

I would like a couple also, whenever they become available again.
    I've been waiting a long time.
    Regards, Walt

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    That's wrong. Output power is NOT regulated. Output voltage is regulated.
    Power=Voltage*current
    Regulator can tolerate some higher current. Strion bulb pulls about 1.8 Amps while stock bulb pulls about 1.4 Amps in A2

Please see DM51's Strion revew.
    Thanks for correcting him, I was about to post the same... The Strion lamp is NOTICEABLY brighter than the stock lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSword View Post
    Hey FM, I was hoping to get one of your kits for the Strion, but it appears you are out of them. Is that correct?
    In the meanwhile, you should really try the HO-A2 from Lumens Factory. It is brighter and whiter than the stock MA02 but it won't kill your batteries as fast as the Strion lamp...

I like my LF HO-A2 for walking outdoors since it throws a bit more. For close-up work I prefer the stock MA02. I'd love to get a Strion socket if FiveMega does another run.

Flashaholic*

The Strion lamp is being overdriven quite a bit by the regulator since it is a 3.7V and the regulator puts out between 4-4.2V depending on who you talk to. So it will be bright, but may be short lived. That's okay though, Strion lamps are cheap.

I ended up selling my A2 awhile back as I was not thrilled with its output vs. size ratio. It was nice running it for free on IMR cells and all, but it is just too weak compared to some of my smaller brighter incans like my E2e's with Lumens Factory EO-E2R lamps and the flat disharge of the IMR cells seem to regulate incan output well enough for my tastes. I never found the output of my A2's particularily "white" either, often I would compare them to lights running on straight lithium ions like black label cells or IMR cells and the A2 appeared more "orange". I understand why a lot of people like the A2 though, to each their own I guess.
    Last edited by ampdude; 01-20-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    ampdude

Glad you guys brought up this topic,is there a lamp for longer battery life even if its not as bright as the stock lamp?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Glad you guys brought up this topic,is there a lamp for longer battery life even if its not as bright as the stock lamp?
    Not that I'm aware of. At least I've never heard of such a lamp. The A2 lamp is kind of tricky to make from what I understand, so Surefire and Lumens Factory are the only ones who have made a version that I know of.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. At least I've never heard of such a lamp. The A2 lamp is kind of tricky to make from what I understand, so Surefire and Lumens Factory are the only ones who have made a version that I know of.
    Apparently Surefire mentioned in one of their old catalogs that the A2 was going to have an optional MA01 lamp that would put out 25 lumens for 130 minutes. It never saw the light of day but it would be nice to have. Maybe Lumens Factory could make one?

Flashaholic* UnderTheWeepingMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    Apparently Surefire mentioned in one of their old catalogs that the A2 was going to have an optional MA01 lamp that would put out 25 lumens for 130 minutes. It never saw the light of day but it would be nice to have. Maybe Lumens Factory could make one?
    I'd definitely buy one of those if LF put such a bulb into production. I love the HO-A2 in my A2. Compared to the stock SF bulb, it's brighter, whiter and gives a smoother, more round beam.
    .:: My Lights ::.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheWeepingMoon View Post
    I'd definitely buy one of those if LF put such a bulb into production. I love the HO-A2 in my A2. Compared to the stock SF bulb, it's brighter, whiter and gives a smoother, more round beam.
    I like my MN02 in my E2E that's 25 lumens but due to the smaller hotspot I tend to use it with an F04 for close-up work.

I have an Alaskan Guide flashlight by Cabela's, which seems to be pretty close to the same thing as the A1/A2. This is what I did to upgrade all of mine. I'm certainly no pro, but they have made for great lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=226946
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Thanks for the info guys,at least now I know what my options are.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    In the meanwhile, you should really try the HO-A2 from Lumens Factory. It is brighter and whiter than the stock MA02 but it won't kill your batteries as fast as the Strion lamp...
    I have one too, looking to mod it. might try the above, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    I just checked the site and it says "***May NOT be compatible with old model (4 flat side) body A2.***"

I DO have the older model, mine does have 4 flat sides in the center of unit

does anyone have experience with this and if the HO-A2 from Lumens factory will work?

Thanks
    Last edited by kraycat; 01-11-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Flashaholic*

It may not make contact with the regulator when you tighten the head down. The specs on the new and older 4-flats A2's seem to be a little different. I've even have problems using different new MA02 Surefire lamps in older A2's.

Quote Originally Posted by kraycat View Post
    I just checked the site and it says "***May NOT be compatible with old model (4 flat side) body A2.***"

I DO have the older model, mine does have 4 flat sides in the center of unit

does anyone have experience with this and if the HO-A2 from Lumens factory will work?

Thanks
    ampdude

I have used the lumens factory build in both of my A2's one is the older four sided version and the othe is round

no problems

Quote Originally Posted by walterr839 View Post
    I have used the lumens factory build in both of my A2's one is the older four sided version and the othe is round

no problems
    Hey, thank you for this info, ill give it a try and report back.

Sent from the Jungle.