• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D-Mag TAIL CAP with ADJUSTABLE SPRING ***INTEREST THREAD***

Nanomiser

Enlightened
For some of you this latest creation has been long awaited so I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations. About six months ago I introduced a few concepts of this tail cap at the end of my first bezel sales thread after several members showed interest. Since then I have had some time to flesh it out in more detail refining the concept. I decided to go with a D-Maglite size tail cap because I figured there is more need for an adjustable spring D-Maglite end cap then a C.

However, I would like to capture member input here in order to nail down specific design features and level of interest for this hardware. I need to keep the project scope narrowed to just one size, one style and one material, but I am willing to entertain a few options for surface finish. The models below illustrate what I have come up with thus far so please take a look and let me know what you think. :)

BTW the Mag shown here is using a standard 2D tube and head. The tail cap is using a standard C-Mag spring and D-Mag o-ring seal.

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basic design +++

Recessed tail cap ++++

I'm assuming the cap is deep enough to allow a 2X 18650 stack in a stock 2D M@G. If so +++++

I like the lanyard hole but make sure its got plenty of relief to prevent chafing, a lanyards not much good if sharp edges chew through it quickly.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally:poke::D

The lanyard holes are not necessary for me. Maybe a few trit slots instead?

I would prefer aluminum but stainless might be an option.

If you can make the adjustable tailcap so that four 26500 cells would fit in a stock 3D, that would be great. That would make it easier to put together a 64623 Mag using 26500 cells with out any maching needing to be done to the stock tailcap.

Depending on the price, I would be in for 1-2.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in for at least 1, depending on price, maybe more.

Would aluminium be cheaper to machine than stainless steel ?

The design looks great :twothumbs

I would prefer silver/raw/clear anodized

Lumilo

Newly Enlightened
Looks good,if the price is ok i´am in for 1 or 2.Can´t wait to see the prototype pics.

Polished stainless steel or aluminium are fine for me.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened
Oooh, nice. :thumbsup: I'm likely in for one or two, depending on price and whether I'm ambitious enough to figure out how to install a clicky in the end of one (joint venture with Mac?).

Cool hidden storage compartment at stock spring height.

Will the threaded insert part have two indents 180° apart, so height can be easily adjusted with snap ring pliers, etc? Will there be a nylon patch on the threads, or some other way to keep the insert tightly locked in place at the height chosen?

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Looks Great!!!

Are the tailcap threads going to be anodized so that you can back of the tailcap as to break the circuit (& stop regulator drainage etc.)

I will use it to get more cells in, so the deeper the better.

The design is sweet!!! ( I dont need the slots or holes if it helps with machining costs)

Oh and Black is good, type 2 or HA

Oh and when you are done PLEASE make a 'C' Tailcap aswell. :popcorn:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great! :twothumbs Count me in for 1 or 2 depending on price and only if you make them in SS. :wave:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
I should clarify a couple of things shown in the models. The torch is using a standard 2D Mag tube & head and the tail cap is making use of an off-the-shelf C-Mag tail spring & standard D-Mag o-ring seal. The materials being considered for the tail cap are a 300 series stainless or aluminum and brass or copper for the spring cup.

Gurthang: Your assumption would be correct although I haven't verified it just yet. I will need to model up a D-Mag switch modular and do a virtual fit test for confirmation. I would also like this tail cap to accommodate other cell configurations. Good point on the lanyard holes so I will need to make sure to incorporate some heavy breaks on the necessary corners.

QtrHorse: The final version may or may not included lanyard holes, but I'm not too sure about trit slots. As I mentioned above, I will need to do some more modeling in order to make sure the tail cap provides enough adjustment in order to be compatible with several different cell configurations.

tx101: Aluminum over stainless wouldn't really have too much impact on machining coat.

ejot: I have considered the incorporation of a clicky switch, but I don't know if it would be very practical on anything longer than a 1 or 1.5D. Mac appears to have done a great job with the Mag clicky switches so far and would be the first guy I would team up with if I were to go that route. Good questions on the height adjustment features; a slot or holes maybe necessary to provided the means for height adjustment, but I was thinking that the spring itself, press fitted into the cup, would suffice. I was also thinking about using a nylon patch or plug to keep the threaded spring cup fixed once adjusted, but that might also make adjustment too difficult. I was hoping that just the compression pressure of the spring pushing on the threads would be enough. Maybe a nylon tipped set screw would be the ticket? :)

Raoul Duke: Anodizing would depend on whether or not the cap material is made from aluminum. I hadn't considered including a circuit breaker feature because I was going to leave the threads bare to ensure electrical continuity. A C-Mag tail cap could be possible, but I'm not too sure how practical it would be.:thinking: Let's see how the D version goes. :grin2:

Hammer Train

Banned
I'm in for one, it would help even up the weight that my new aspheric protective bezel (VERY nice!) has added on the front of the light! As for price, well I really don't know! I'd be in for either one or two - depending on final price!:twothumbs

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
peterthompson gets up very early - or goes to bed very late!

Great design! Polished SS for me to match my Fantastic fluted bezel. Lanyard hole would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to trying the 2 x 18650 configuration. I feel that tail switches would only be desirable in a 1-1.5 D config, but intriguing nonetheless (might have to get one of those).

Cost? Not sure if the shark asks the fish how it wants to be eaten, especially when the fish are asking for it! But I would say you have to make a nice profit because we all want you to keep designing new baubles for our torches forevermore, whilst at the same time keeping price low enough for you to sell all the units you manufacture. I have never seen a tailcap like this with this complexity and adjustability sold on these forums.

Cost + Profit + CPF Desire = Happiness.

I'm in for one or two BTW.

donn_

Flashaholic
I'd prefer SS, and in a much simpler design. Something like this.

Of the 3 styles of aspheric bezels I bought, I find myself drawn to the simple straight and smooth one, although I wish it had 1 or 2 bands of knurling on it.

If interest of the majority leans towards more stylish designs, I'd vote for a direct clone of the SW01 "Slim" AKA "Bakers Cap" tailcap from Surefire.

img-m180-kl2-m2c-c2-sw01rev2-annotated.jpg

Something to consider...some carry their Maglites in ring-shaped holders mounted to the belt. If the tailcap is too much wider than the body of the light, it may not slide into the ring.

Edited to add: I would probably buy as many C-Mag copies as D-Mag. I have a couple of the one in the thread linked above, and there are other C-Mag competitors, so I understand your reluctance.

Prices for the 3 styles of C-mag caps out there have been $14 (for the one in the link), $22 and $24, all in stainless.

Last edited: