35,000mcd led keychain light?

fightnut

Newly Enlightened
I tried the search and didn't find what I was looking for, please excuse me if this has been discussed and I missed it.

Many of you are familiar with the 35,000mcd led keychain light that DX use to sell: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12270

Well, I'm trying to see if these (or something very similar) are available anywhere else since DX no longer carries them?

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

gem

Newly Enlightened
If you buy anything over $20 from BatteryJunction.com they allways give you a LED keychain free. Others they have are .99.

fightnut

Newly Enlightened
The regular 47 cent version is practically identical. I recommed that for something similar.

Yeah, I have those and they are great and really bright, but they are only 22000mcd. I'm looking to find the 35000mcd version.

As far as the other responses, the lights you guys are talking about are probably only the 9000 to 14000mcd kind. No where near as bright as the 22000mcd from DX.

So I can only imagine how bright the 35000mcd version is. Now if I could just fine them.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah, I have those and they are great and really bright, but they are only 22000mcd. I'm looking to find the 35000mcd version.

As far as the other responses, the lights you guys are talking about are probably only the 9000 to 14000mcd kind. No where near as bright as the 22000mcd from DX.

So I can only imagine how bright the 35000mcd version is. Now if I could just fine them.

The only different is the LED. The regular 22000 version uses a Snow, where the 35000's used a Nichia GS.

Also, keep in mind that value is NOT total brightness. It's a measure of hotspot intensity. The Nichia GS isn't that much brighter than the regular version, it is just a bit more focused.

If you really want the Nichia GS, why not get the REAL THING, and get a Photon II or Photon Freedom? Once you try the real thing, the knockoffs are no substitute.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Energizer keychain uses Nichia GS. Brightest keychain I ever have

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
may just have to buy some nice keychain lights and get into a group buy for nichia GS LEDs

MKLight

Enlightened
The only different is the LED. The regular 22000 version uses a Snow, where the 35000's used a Nichia GS.

Also, keep in mind that value is NOT total brightness. It's a measure of hotspot intensity. The Nichia GS isn't that much brighter than the regular version, it is just a bit more focused.

If you really want the Nichia GS, why not get the REAL THING, and get a Photon II or Photon Freedom? Once you try the real thing, the knockoffs are no substitute.

+1 in regards to getting the REAL THING. You really should check out the Photons...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have an Inova Microlight that is pretty nice.... two levels plus flashing and it is easy to swap LEDs

fightnut

Newly Enlightened
+1 in regards to getting the REAL THING. You really should check out the Photons...

Thanks guys, but if you say the 35000mcd isn't really much brighter then the DX 22000mcd's, then I'll stick to paying .47 cents rather then $8.

Thanks again though, I appreciate all the input.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good call. Like Marduke stated, the overall brightness is about the same. Actually they measure the same in my little lightbox.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, but if you say the 35000mcd isn't really much brighter then the DX 22000mcd's, then I'll stick to paying .47 cents rather then $8.

Thanks again though, I appreciate all the input.
After having a few dozen photon clones of various quality I find myself enjoying my Inova instead but I paid only $3 for it (got two green ones) If you are going to use it a lot and not lose it one $8 light is sometimes tremendously more enjoyable than a box of 47 cent ones just as a $40 light is sometimes a lot more enjoyable and used more often than a $15 light. As for the 35k vs 22k some of it also depends on beam narrowness and quality. I have seen some nichia beams that were bright but downright ugly vs a slightly dimmer clone that was nice and a lot whiter. brightness that is blue or purple is not necessarily a great thing at times.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
may just have to buy some nice keychain lights and get into a group buy for nichia GS LEDs

I'll buy some if someone will set up a buy. I got some of County Comms special ops keychain lights with the rotating clip. The design is great but the light is quite weak compared to my Photon Freedom. And my Freedom is the old 2X pre-Nichia version. I would love to change out the LEDs for Nichias on the CC lights.

I took this from a customer photo at DX. The black one on top is the 35k Nichia and the clear one is the 22k light. The Nichia appears to have a nicer color and better flood. Benny's review said the clear 22k puts out more light than the black. Even so it doesn't look as bright as the Nichia.

keychainlights.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
not sure flood is more useful than a nice beam. There is occasional group buys I have heard some talking about the updated cree 5mm LEDs but not sure if they are as bright but I think have a nicer beam.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yeah I reread about the cree.... not quite as bright. group buys on the nichias are not common, I see one every about 6 months or so. IMO the nichias are good but not great at $3 each or you are stuck ordering 100+ direct. I have been wondering when the tiny cree die high power LEDs are out for awhile how to put an optic on them drive them at low currents and use them to replace 5mm LEDs in stuff if that is possible.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i just checked out the links to the photon freedom and photon micro. what exactally is the difference that would make you go from a buck to eight bucks. im ok with that, but need to know what the upgrade is.

Marduke

Flashaholic
i just checked out the links to the photon freedom and photon micro. what exactally is the difference that would make you go from a buck to eight bucks. im ok with that, but need to know what the upgrade is.

From $1 to $8? The Micro I is $5.25, the Micro II is $7.25, and the Freedom Micro is $8.99.

The Micro I is momentary squeeze only. The Micro II is momentary squeeze, or has a constant on switch, and this is the model which the $0.47 "fauxton" is a clone of. The Freedom is infinitely variable from low to high. You can choose for it to come on at the lowest by holding the button in and ramping up, or just click for high, then hold to ramp down. The strobe modes are hidden, as is a momentary mode.

The Freedom has, IMO, hands down, the BEST UI EVER, and is my favorite keychain light by FAR. I HIGHLY recommend it.