one or two?

sloppyfoos

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I was just wanting some opinions on purchasing a flashlight(s) for walking along a paved trail at night. My girlfriend and I walk at night, and we are moving to a new place that has unlit trails. Initially I was going to buy a Streamlight Strion that is rechargeable for around $120, but got to thinking that instead, I could buy two AA lights such as Fenix or Quark for the same price as the one Strion. Other than being rechargeable, is there any other reason that I should think about getting the Strion over two other falshlights? Thanks for any thoughts and opinions! -- Tim

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the two. You don't want to be caught in darkness if Strion fails. Two is one and one is none... And your phone screen doesn't count! :ohgeez:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Nearly all flashlights are rechargable, including the Fenix and Quark. Just use rechargable NiMH cells such as Sanyo Eneloops.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree - get the Fenixes or Quarks.

Don't forget that they are also rechargeable - all you need is a pack of Eneloops and a decent charger !
[ Plus you can always run them on regular AAs if you get caught short. ]

(Simultaneous post - I see Marduke and I had the same idea ! )

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a very good lithium ion light and charger for well under $120, and most are a fair amount brighter than the strion.

If you want to use rechargeables, I would suggest something like the L-mini II. Since it uses 18650 lithium ion batteries, it will be brighter and have longer runtime than a single LED light, since 18650s have far more energy stored in them. You could easily buy 2 L-mini II's and a good charger for $120.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get two. The Strion isn't worth the money in general. You can get more features, better runtime, and brighter maximum output from some less expensive options.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Get three! Get 2 Fenixes or Quarks and throw in a E01 if the apocalypse comes. Or if you want to bring a friend. :grin2: I guess if you want to keep it under $120 (batteries + charger + light), some cost cutting may be involved though, like getting Fenix E20s instead the higher end ones like the L2D. For a charger, the Lacrosse BC-900 is a great choice, and it comes with some batteries.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Get three! Get 2 Fenixes or Quarks and throw in a E01 if the apocalypse comes. Or if you want to bring a friend. :grin2: I guess if you want to keep it under $120 (batteries + charger + light), some cost cutting may be involved though, like getting Fenix E20s instead the higher end ones like the L2D. For a charger, the Lacrosse BC-900 is a great choice, and it comes with some batteries.

Get 4!!! Throw in a TK40 for if the apocalypse come and lasts 160 hours :p (thats the runtime for it on low...)

You could also use it on Turbo and send the apocalypse back a century or two :p

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the two and feed them low self discharge rechargeable NiMH batteries. I do also think a keychain light like the Fenix E01 is a good idea as well.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
just like whateverybody else said, go with the fenix or quarks, i personally would go with the quarks, has knurling and the clip, so u can clip the flashlight to ur ball capif u need to..

70 lumens should be plenty bright for a dark trail and 170 or 190 for those longer distances.

and use eneloops ( for AA flashlights )

sloppyfoos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I will go with the 'two is one, one is none' mindset, along with rechargeable batteries.:thumbsup: