Is there a rechargable Led Light with 150+lumens and 5+ hr runtime?

ptolemy

Enlightened
I am only aware of Pelican 8060 thats rated for 190 lumens and 6 hr recharable.

Are there others? It shouldn't be more than 50mm in diameter (ie tactical style)

thanx:)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ptolemy....welcome to CPF! I cannot think of any others besides the 18650 either. Good luck on your search. Maybe the TK40 on High (not turbo) Or one of the other MCE 2x18650 lights on med. No other guesses for now.

ptolemy

Enlightened
Ptolemy....welcome to CPF! I cannot think of any others besides the 18650 either. Good luck on your search. Maybe the TK40 on High (not turbo) Or one of the other MCE 2x18650 lights on med. No other guesses for now.
thanx;)

i been around for while, i just use it as a resource and such:)

i am suprised that i dont see other options;)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could conceivably fit C or D cells in a light and still be under 50mm in diameter, but there aren't a whole lot of options as far as C and D hosts go.

Something with 2 18650s would probably have the best runtime, but if they are end to end the light may be too long for your liking.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shouldn't be too hard to put one together.

For a recent bin XR-E or SSC P4, 150 lumens requires ~500-600 mA, or somewhere in the neighborhood of 2W. Accounting for converter losses, five hours of runtime will require roughly 12Wh. So if you can find a P60 drop-in that runs on 7.4V and doesn't drive the LED too hard, 2x 18650 or 26500 should easily get you 5+ hours.

ptolemy

Enlightened
You could conceivably fit C or D cells in a light and still be under 50mm in diameter, but there aren't a whole lot of options as far as C and D hosts go.

Something with 2 18650s would probably have the best runtime, but if they are end to end the light may be too long for your liking.
nono:)

50mm THICK. not LONG. it can be 10" long for all i care (ie to hold 4x18650's :)

ptolemy

Enlightened
It shouldn't be too hard to put one together.

For a recent bin XR-E or SSC P4, 150 lumens requires ~500-600 mA, or somewhere in the neighborhood of 2W. Accounting for converter losses, five hours of runtime will require roughly 12Wh. So if you can find a P60 drop-in that runs on 7.4V and doesn't drive the LED too hard, 2x 18650 or 26500 should easily get you 5+ hours.

assuming i have no clue about how to put it together. my key point would be that i want to use cells that are recharabile. whether its 8 x rcr123's, or 4x d or c cells, key for me is to be able to either have recharable cells or a a battery pack

and 150 lumens was just a minimum, 200 or 250 would be nice, in the end 200 is probably better choice

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any decent C-cell based LED light can do it. It's nothing special.

For example:

- SureFire KT2, FM 3xC body, AW Tower, 4P MC-E K-bin, GD1000
- 0.844A current draw at the tail
- 5000mAh NiMH cells

Calculated run time of 5000/0.844=5.9hr
Calculated output, 280-330 emitter lumens

- 4C Maglite, P7 DSWOI, SOB1000, KD OP reflector
- 0.84A current draw at the tail
- 5000 mAh NiMH cells

Same calculated run time as above
Calculated output, 340-380 emitter lumens

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D Mag + Malkoff Drop-In Module for 2-3 D-Cell to fit Mag-Lite + 3x NiMH D cells

240 lumens for ~10 hours.

Or, similar set-up in 3C Mag for a little under half the runtime.

ptolemy

Enlightened
Any decent C-cell based LED light can do it. It's nothing special.

For example:

- SureFire KT2, FM 3xC body, AW Tower, 4P MC-E K-bin, GD1000
- 0.844A current draw at the tail
- 5000mAh NiMH cells

Calculated run time of 5000/0.844=5.9hr
Calculated output, 280-330 emitter lumens

- 4C Maglite, P7 DSWOI, SOB1000, KD OP reflector
- 0.84A current draw at the tail
- 5000 mAh NiMH cells

Same calculated run time as above
Calculated output, 340-380 emitter lumens

3D Mag + Malkoff Drop-In Module for 2-3 D-Cell to fit Mag-Lite + 3x NiMH D cells

240 lumens for ~10 hours.

Or, similar set-up in 3C Mag for a little under half the runtime.

those sound like some great options indeed

in layman terms: i need a 4c or 5c mag-lite body (for premade body - i think i seen 5d body), replace the guts with custom drop-in module supporting C or D NiMH cells, and change the emiter to high 3w one

right?:)

if so, could someone give some examples of the body i need, emiter i need, guts i need, to maximize burn time and to stay at least at 240lumens (higher the better but mini burn time 6 hrs, 10hrs sounds even better!) and use rechrable batteries

thanx;)

p.s this way i can avoid buying pelican 8060. also, does the drop in 3w module produced white beam /w solid middle>? (not yellowish with hollow middle)?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PEAK LED SOLUTIONS LEO lights are available in a range of higher power configurations with an assortment of interchangeable battery tubes. Your specifications should be easy to meet.

ptolemy

Enlightened
The PEAK LED SOLUTIONS LEO lights are available in a range of higher power configurations with an assortment of interchangeable battery tubes. Your specifications should be easy to meet.
i'll check them out for sure.

but, lets assume i wanna use the mag lite 5d body (for 5 x 10mah nimh cells), i would need to replace the bulb to something much better? and anything else needs replacing?

ptolemy

Enlightened
+1 for a maglite upgrade
i spent good hour last night looking at maglite mods. seems most of them are designed for max power.

i am looking for the balance of good output and very good runtime. obviously biggest issue is to keep it cool.

are there mods made like this that fit my spec? 200-250 lumens, and long runtime? made from 5c, 5d,6c bodies?

if you could provide some links, i'd appriciate it. i am kinda lost in all the replacement components:)

Marduke

Flashaholic
i spent good hour last night looking at maglite mods. seems most of them are designed for max power.

i am looking for the balance of good output and very good runtime. obviously biggest issue is to keep it cool.

are there mods made like this that fit my spec? 200-250 lumens, and long runtime? made from 5c, 5d,6c bodies?

if you could provide some links, i'd appriciate it. i am kinda lost in all the replacement components:)

It's already been mentioned...
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropin-lamp-assembly-for-maglite-c-1_25.html

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long would the T5-mp run using two 17500?
or a T3-mp, after boring to accept 17500
Mine doesn't rattle at all. I've never seen an Inova with battery issues. Their workmanship is flawless. In fact, when I sent a T3 for boring out in order to accept 17500's, the workshop guy told me that he never saw such precision before...

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
in layman terms: i need a 4c or 5c mag-lite body (for premade body - i think i seen 5d body), replace the guts with custom drop-in module supporting C or D NiMH cells, and change the emiter to high 3w one

right?:)

if so, could someone give some examples of the body i need, emiter i need, guts i need, to maximize burn time and to stay at least at 240lumens (higher the better but mini burn time 6 hrs, 10hrs sounds even better!) and use rechrable batteries

As I described before, I used a 4C Maglite, P7 DSWOI, SOB1000, and KD OP reflector. The SOB1000 underdrives the P7, resulting in a very cool-running, long-running Mag mod with 300+ lumen output.

PhotonFanatic in the Dealer's Corner on CPF MP now has DSVNI-bin P7s. Basically the same thing, slightly different tint. Order an SOB1000 from The Sandwich Shoppe. For a drop-in reflector, get the Kaidomain ProductID=5632 15mm opening orange peel reflector. It's more expensive than some other options that can also work with the Maglite, but it is a plug and play solution (no filing or other fitting work necessary). A 5C, 6C, or 5D Maglite will give you that much more run time (and size), compared to the 4C. Use any of the usual C or D Mag heat sinks from Litemania, H22A, Britelumens, etc. Add in wire, solder, thermal epoxy, and your time.

ptolemy

Enlightened
As I described before, I used a 4C Maglite, P7 DSWOI, SOB1000, and KD OP reflector. The SOB1000 underdrives the P7, resulting in a very cool-running, long-running Mag mod with 300+ lumen output.

PhotonFanatic in the Dealer's Corner on CPF MP now has DSVNI-bin P7s. Basically the same thing, slightly different tint. Order an SOB1000 from The Sandwich Shoppe. For a drop-in reflector, get the Kaidomain ProductID=5632 15mm opening orange peel reflector. It's more expensive than some other options that can also work with the Maglite, but it is a plug and play solution (no filing or other fitting work necessary). A 5C, 6C, or 5D Maglite will give you that much more run time (and size), compared to the 4C. Use any of the usual C or D Mag heat sinks from Litemania, H22A, Britelumens, etc. Add in wire, solder, thermal epoxy, and your time.

thanx for the detailed info. the more i think about it, the more i realise that, there is no way i should even attempt it. i am good at breakin things, not building..

i guess i have to wait for premade solution to be available, however it seems like all the big boy's (the 6d /6c mag lites) aren't designed to run at 300lumens for 10 hrs but run at 3000 lumens for 30 min:)

Marduke

Flashaholic
i guess i have to wait for premade solution to be available, however it seems like all the big boy's (the 6d /6c mag lites) aren't designed to run at 300lumens for 10 hrs but run at 3000 lumens for 30 min:)

Are you even reading the replys? Premade solutions ARE available. They were recommended numerous times above.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Malkoff 4-5-6C Maglite or 4-5-6D Maglite P4 drop-in. Your main task is to cut the cam off of the stock reflector. I've nibbled off the plastic cam using diagonal wire cutters. You don't have to cut the cam flush. There is no problem leaving a little 1/8" tall stub. The blue plastic cam material is soft enough that it does cut. It doesn't shatter. Just take small nibbles and you'll be done in 5 min.