dorcy 2AA LED rebel 80 lumens

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was looking for threads talking about this light and didn't find any but perhaps I am not adept at filtering out everything else. I got one at BigLots for $11 and have mixed emotions about the light.

The good:
rear tailcap clicky
center flat makes for more comfortable grip
decent thrower
can unscrew head for pseudo candle mode (recessed)
seems to operate well down to very low voltages ~1v
bezel has anti roll fluting and tube has grooves for gripping.
cost is very attractive
rebel LED is more effecient than former luxeon offerings (1W, 3W)
puts out good light even at 60ma input levels

The bad:
no lanyard attachment holes
stiff switch in tailcap
very loose threads in tailcap, wobbly after loosening a half turn.
beam pattern doesn't have nice clean aura around it
tint a little yellow/green I think perhaps the old lottery buzz
low voltage operating would probably damage rechargables.
looks like circuit crimped in by the tube edges bent down on a ring

All in all it is a good buy at $11 and I think a good battery sucker as I took
a weak AAA battery that was less than 1v and it put out useful light with it alone. I wish I had a good camera for pics. The head has some white sealant on it but came off with a good stiff twist.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
interesting find....i was looking at those for when i travel....cheap throw away lights that take AA batts....
if $11 is a throw away price I would rate this light a little better than throw away. If the tailcap switch and threads were better I would rate it a good light at even $20 or so. I am somewhat tempted to yank out the LED module and use it for something else as it will put out decent light off 1AA.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...I'm looking to build a decent LED light that runs on a single C or D cell..if this head will run off of a single alkaline cell, maybe I should pick one up, cut the side open with my dremel, and insert a spacer to fit the C/D cell in it...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I measure the input to the driver or draw from a single battery lithium or nimh (rayovac hybrid) as a little over 500ma so I am figuring perhaps 150ma to the LED or so.
you may be able to pull the driver out as there is only tabs bent over holding a retaining ring in the top it appears.

Last edited: