How far do you commute?

gallagho

Enlightened
Just wondering if you commute to work how far do you travel?
My job has moved and my journey is now 130 mile round trip
I'm getting up at 5.30 to avoid the traffic. Not good! :shakehead

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Sheesh, sorry your commute is no good - I had to drive to the 'burbs for 1.5 years, and it was terrible.

But now I LOVE commuting!

5.2 miles each way to & from work. I ride my bike every day of the year, rain or shine or snow or whatever. So strictly commuting, somewhere around 2,550 miles a year if you figure in vacation time.

Then there's the grocery shopping, the errands, the fun rides...

:thumbsup: john

paintballdad

Enlightened
I work in field service and my commute varies quite a bit. Most days it's about 8 miles round trip, some days a bit more at around 50-70 miles round trip. Then the bad days......2 weeks ago, i drove more than 220 miles in one day!

1wrx7

Enlightened
Only 23 miles roundtrip:party:... especially since I have to use at least 93 octane gas:broke: I feel really bad for those who spend hours each day on the road.

JakeGMCHD

Newly Enlightened
80 mile round trip. Winter is the only time it stinks. Flat Landers can't drive in the White Stuff.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cycle just under 4km to the office, twice a day, and 4km home, twice a day. Probably a bit over 14km each day of commuting, because I have the fabulous luxury of riding home for lunch. I'm not quite as committed to cycling as jch79 and do drive every few weeks, but I do encourage the g/f to use our bikes for groceries and errands.
Unfortunately work involves driving but I usually have my co-workers drive if we're called out beyond down-town walking distance. If it's an issue I cycle home, get my car, and drive out to the call.

Art

Enlightened
65km each way to work by car,that here on our small country is a lot :D

That makes a anual 35 to 45k kms by car.

roguesw

Enlightened
I dont know how far I commute but I know how long, I commute about 2 hours daily on the trains, and thats the actual time travelling in the train, if I counted the time I lose just waiting on the platform it will be about 2 and a half hours daily.
So figuring this, I lose roughly 12 hours a week commuting. That's 48 hours a month.
I work as a teacher so I get summer vacation off. I work about 10 months in a year.
So i lose 480 hours a year on commute. That works out to be 20 days in a year is spent on commuting. WOW!!!

Holy crap. We lose a lot of our days just commuting.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
2&1/2 miles each way. Unfortunately, when I get to work I usually have to drive one of our trucks for an hour or more to the jobsite. At least it's not my fuel, and I get paid to drive there. Traffic still is a real bear sometimes.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i once had a job that if i had to be to work at 9 am i could leave at 9 am and be there on time took me 15 seconds from my front door to the time clock lol

D.B.

Newly Enlightened
I went from having a 16 mile round trip commute to a 50 mile round trip commute. It really eats into the linings of the wallet with the cost of gas going up....

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 30 feet to the garage, then it's upstairs there to the office, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

For me it's not about the commute, but the I/T support means all day sitting in a chair. Took me at least 6 months to get used to the sedentary lifestyle.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far this summer, 2 blocks (~100 yards in my town). Not too far to walk, which is nice, cause I drink lots of water to stay hydrated, and have to walk home to use the bathroom.:tinfoil:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
We used to have a chap at our company that lived on the Isle of Wight. Every working day he used to get up, take the bus to the port, take the ferry to Portsmouth, take the train into London Waterloo and then the bus over the Thames to work. It took 2hour 45mins and he did it all with his wife. He also meet his wife every lunchtime and sat in reception with her to eat their sandwiches. Now, I love my wife but to spend six and a half hours sitting next to her every day before we had even gotten home, I'd be fit to burst.
Strange thing was, he used to live down the road from the office and moved out there…