Tornado! HERE!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is apparently a tornado here in town. On the ground :(

I'll probably be called out but maybe I'll get to use my lights :D

Oh yea, I hope everyone is ok.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you? Arkansas? My sister was home when one came THROUGH our field, and took a full size yard trampoline with it...never saw it again. Be safe, and report back any news.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tornado!

Where are you? Arkansas? My sister was home when one came THROUGH our field, and took a full size yard trampoline with it...never saw it again. Be safe, and report back any news.

Milan, Tn. 20 minutes from Jackson. Which is almost half way between Memphis and Nashville. Interstate that connects them runs through Jackson.

Apparently it's about 15 minutes north of where I'm at coming this way. Probably wont make it.

They came running in here telling me a tornado was on the ground, I made this thread to find out it isn't actually right outside :) Oh well, tornado sirens make this neighborhood go crazy so it's a funny sight.

This is what I get for living with people from Florida. Why on earth are ya'll so afraid of tornadoes lol. Hurricanes are much worse.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
Tornado? Wow.. We've never seen one in Malaysia before. So i guess if I were to see one I would be screaming like a child! :laughing:

I guess you are more interested to use your lights rather than inspecting the scene :poke:haha

Marduke

Flashaholic

Milan, Tn. 20 minutes from Jackson. Which is almost half way between Memphis and Nashville. Interstate that connects them runs through Jackson.

Apparently it's about 15 minutes north of where I'm at coming this way. Probably wont make it.

They came running in here telling me a tornado was on the ground, I made this thread to find out it isn't actually right outside :) Oh well, tornado sirens make this neighborhood go crazy so it's a funny sight.

This is what I get for living with people from Florida. Why on earth are ya'll so afraid of tornadoes lol. Hurricanes are much worse.

Maybe you'll get a bit more respect if your neighborhood is ever completely destroyed by an F5, nearly killing two family members in the process...

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe you'll get a bit more respect if you neighborhood is ever completely destroyed by an F5, nearly killing two family members in the process...

That little bit of my post is conveying how they spend a lot of time running in circles before actually seeking shelter.

Your role on the forum is the community antagonist isn't it.
You'll have to forgive me for not fearing them. I've built up an immunity over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Flashaholic
15 minutes north is close. I'm glad that is never made it to you, and hopefully everyone else north of you is fine.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 minutes north is close. I'm glad that is never made it to you, and hopefully everyone else north of you is fine.

Waiting for this information. I should be able to find out soon.

If I get a call from dispatch then I'll know it's bad up there.

It's changed direction and is heading away from where I am so that's good. Everyone here has their generators on already. I personally like the dark :)

Update: No tornadoes on the ground ATM. From what I heard there wasn't any injuries when it was briefly on the ground. Good there. However, the worst is probably yet to come.

I don't think I've met any CPFers in this area. It would be nice to have some company :)

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I live in CA where without warning you can have a devastating earthquake, but I tell you I am scared ________ of tornado's that can strike without a lot a lead time. Took a cross country trip about 12 years ago and traveling through Wyoming got a tornado warning over radio, and I did not know where to go. Picked a small airport to hole up in and the person in charge there told us that the last 3 tornado's had touched down at that airport! We left pronto. No thank you. That was just a scary experience, and that weird weather, and ugly sky....

Bill

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in CA where without warning you can have a devastating earthquake, but I tell you I am scared ________ of tornado's that can strike without a lot a lead time. Took a cross country trip about 12 years ago and traveling through Wyoming got a tornado warning over radio, and I did not know where to go. Picked a small airport to hole up in and the person in charge there told us that the last 3 tornado's had touched down at that airport! We left pronto. No thank you. That was just a scary experience, and that weird weather, and ugly sky....

Bill

Couple of years ago we had one go over our house. You could feel the noise deep inside.

It's an experience, but as Marduke said, when people get hurt, people change attitudes real quick.

Roberts30

Enlightened
Back May 13 we had a tornado here (MO) It was really bad, we lost two people from this area.. I know how scary they can be, respect them.
Hope ya stay safe!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well nuts I am east of nashville which means any tornados that are west of me might have some punch left by the time they reach here.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I live in CA where without warning you can have a devastating earthquake, but I tell you I am scared ________ of tornado's that can strike without a lot a lead time.

I moved from the tornado alley of the midwest to CA, so now earthquakes don't bother me a bit. If we get a good magnitude ~3.5 that rocks the house, everyone else gets very scared and starts running in circles; I usually just say something like "That was a good one," and everyone stares at me like I'm crazy..

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The destruction from hurricanes and tornados is different, but no less exciting.

Check out the wind speeds of a tornado vs hurricane (often 2 - 3:1). It takes a very special construction to survive a tornado, which is why basements / low spots are recommended. I might be wrong, but IIRC, tornados are often part of the hurricane strorm.

If you are driving along an open road, and really SEE a tornado, pull over and hide in the ditch. It is your best bet against flying debris vs staying in the car. BTW - your car can be moved around in the wind.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as hurricanes vs. tornadoes you have to look at them in two different ways to really see the negative aspects.

Hurricane: Very large financial losses compared to human loss. Given you have so long to evacuate/prepare the only reason to for human loss is that a lot of people just can't afford to go or don't want to.

Tornado: A lot smaller financial loss vs. larger human loss. Given that tornadoes just happen and there is no one telling you your house is next, there isn't much to do.

I think Katrina and New Orleans is in a different ball park. Yes the hurricane was the contributing cause, but it wasn't the only reason, by a long shot.

To update the OP. There hasn't been any news of a tornado actually touching down anywhere near here. There is a small possibility one did but no news and no reports have come in (that I'm aware of).

The news came over last night that one was on the ground but I think they withdrew that claim shortly after :)

We've had too many ruin lives here in the past 5 years. I'm glad we had a break this time.

prof

Enlightened
Hey Search, I'm your neighbor (a few miles over). We watched clouds slowly spinning over our neighborhood for quite a while last night. The rotation never got fast enough to be a tornado, but we did have lots of sirens and warnings. We never lost power, either. My kids slept through the whole thing, but the poor dog was very happy I let her inside.

Funny thing: when the sirens first went off, my wife headed toward the other end of the house for a minute. Before leaving she asked "Do you have a flashlight on you?" I said yes, and handed her one (while trying not to grin too much--she KNEW I would have at least one). Later, I started emptying my pockets and realized just how many I was carrying--without realizing it. I guess I picked one up each time I went by the flashlight drawer because of the weather.

Anyone want to guess how many were in my cargo shorts?

I need to get a new weather radio. Mine never did go off last night...darn thing.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I moved from the tornado alley of the midwest to CA, so now earthquakes don't bother me a bit. If we get a good magnitude ~3.5 that rocks the house, everyone else gets very scared and starts running in circles; I usually just say something like "That was a good one," and everyone stares at me like I'm crazy..

I've lived in CA all my life, and was close to the last two big ones in Southern CA. I did not get upset, just sort of sat there and watched the house shake (wood). Couldn't have gone very far anyway.

Bill

prof

Enlightened
Oh, about your comparison. I used to live on the east coast. I was there when Dennis and Floyd hit. People do stupid things. We were always ready to bug out--but lots of people just refused. One couple owned a floating restaurant. They always ride out hurricanes on the restaurant at the beach.

Me--I always kept both cars full of gas. One was designated for running around, the other (longer range) was specifically for leaving.

Of course here we have tornadoes and earthquakes...fun.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, those storms last night were funky! had lightning hit a car across the parking lot from me last night. well, not the car, but the car port thingy over the parking spaces.