Got batteries, now I need flashlight

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I bought 6 CR123 batteries from the gun show because the sale girl was simply a perfect 10. I got them for $10 total. I do have a weapon light that takes CR123 but I rarely use my weapon light so I think these batteries may go bad before I use them. Therefore, I like to buy a good but low priced flashlight that takes CR123. I have two LED flashlights from BJ's for $30 and they are great and take AAA. I now only need one more flashlight that takes CR123. I would prefer to use my weapon light, which is much brighter than my BJ's ones and very small, but it gets very hot even only after 5 minutes of use. I don't know the lumen rating but I am sure it is way up there in the 300 range since it is very bright.

I stopped by Gander Mountain and saw some nice Surefire for $40. I know it is a nice light but it is not LED and probably won't have a decent run time. It is probably not any near as bright and my BJ's lights so that would defeat a purpose of getting a new light.

Can anyone remember a good LED lights for under $50 that has great run time and take CR123. Either that or advice me of a good way to store these CR123 batteries to rotate out of my weapon light every two years regardless of use. Can CR123 battery last more than 5 years in storage? Thanks.

Update to add: I just saw this light and may serve my purpose as I don't have any hand-free light that can be useful for camping, fixing car on the side of the road, or just general use. The best part is that it use AA batteries, which are plentiful and cheap. Is there any reason why high price flashlight use CR123, which is quite expensive? Aren't they running around $3 each instead of AAs, which can pretty cheap when purchased in large pack from Costco or BJ. I also like to add that it seems like Fenix lights using AA have longer run time than those using CR123. I always thought CR123 was supposed to be super battery meant for super light since only super expensive lights use them a few years ago when I got into flashlights.

Hotlinked image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Marduke

Flashaholic
You mention repeatedly about AA's and AAA's being cheap, but if you want to actually keep your light, NEVER use alkalines. Besides the costs associated with ruining electronics, they are 100x more expensive to use than NiMH cells, and perform horribly.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
You mention repeatedly about AA's and AAA's being cheap, but if you want to actually keep your light, NEVER use alkalines. Besides the costs associated with ruining electronics, they are 100x more expensive to use than NiMH cells, and perform horribly.

Honestly, I have no clue and rarely check if my AA and AAA batteries are alkalines or NiMH. I'll run down to the car to see what type are the ones in the flashlights. I do know the batteries I have for my cameras don't last very long, even the one listed as made for digital cameras and I assume those are NiMH. Personally, I use rechargeable batteries for cameras as I can't afford to buy fresh batteries all the time. I do still have several D batteries that I need to use before they go bad. I haven't bought new batteries in 4 years since most flashlights I have came with batteries and I have about 7 lights total, all are low price lights.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines are fine and cheap up until a point, that is when something gets ruined due to leakage. Once the batteries leak, it can sometimes lead to mess that can't be cleaned.

With that in mind, put alkalines in lights that you plan to use often. If not don't be surprised if you leave it and come back awhile later to find the batteries leaked. Even if its a cheap light, do you want to keep buying lights? (yes, heresy I know!)

vali

Enlightened
Honestly, I have no clue and rarely check if my AA and AAA batteries are alkalines or NiMH. I'll run down to the car to see what type are the ones in the flashlights. I do know the batteries I have for my cameras don't last very long, even the one listed as made for digital cameras and I assume those are NiMH. Personally, I use rechargeable batteries for cameras as I can't afford to buy fresh batteries all the time. I do still have several D batteries that I need to use before they go bad. I haven't bought new batteries in 4 years since most flashlights I have came with batteries and I have about 7 lights total, all are low price lights.

NiMH are rechargeables. In a digital camera they should last way longer than alkalines (even if the alkalines have a sticker listing them specially for digital cameras).

Good NiMH + decent charger = really cheap after some usage.

Akalines = expensive (even more if they leak in your camera/flashlight)

Crappy NiMH + really cheap charger = expensive and unsatisfactory.

If your actual rechargeables are Energizer 2500, try buying some eneloops ;)

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Alkalines are fine and cheap up until a point, that is when something gets ruined due to leakage. Once the batteries leak, it can sometimes lead to mess that can't be cleaned.

With that in mind, put alkalines in lights that you plan to use often. If not don't be surprised if you leave it and come back awhile later to find the batteries leaked. Even if its a cheap light, do you want to keep buying lights? (yes, heresy I know!)

Thanks. I just learned something about batteries. Now I'll stay away from cheapo batteries. Why do they still sell them since they don't last long and still takes up resource to make. We should all be using rechargeable battery as well as flashlight by now. I did see a flashlight that recharge itself from sunlight at Costco. It is a neat concept but the output is more for Harry homeowner who never use it outside of his bedroom. I am intopowerful lights as I do use them in pit black condition and need to really light up the area even though I don't have a need for flashlight that often.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
NiMH are rechargeables. In a digital camera they should last way longer than alkalines (even if the alkalines have a sticker listing them specially for digital cameras).

Good NiMH + decent charger = really cheap after some usage.

Akalines = expensive (even more if they leak in your camera/flashlight)

Crappy NiMH + really cheap charger = expensive and unsatisfactory.

If your actual rechargeables are Energizer 2500, try buying some eneloops ;)

Just got some Enelops from Costco last year after my Energizer charger crapped out after very little use. Since I don't know much about these things, I didn't even know if it is good or not. We haven't bought new batteries for about 5 years or so because we use rechargeable batteries. It seems like we never recharge D battery as they tend to last much longer in flashlights that sits around the house. My office mate had a old flashlight with some batteries left in there for 6 years and that thing still work. The office is always nice and cool so no leakage.

I really want to stimulate the economy and get a nice Fenix flashlight in 2AA now.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check Olights T10 and ITP's C9, both are single celled lights and have descent runtime. And both lights can be had for under 50 bones.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I just learned something about batteries. Now I'll stay away from cheapo batteries. Why do they still sell them since they don't last long and still takes up resource to make. We should all be using rechargeable battery as well as flashlight by now. I did see a flashlight that recharge itself from sunlight at Costco. It is a neat concept but the output is more for Harry homeowner who never use it outside of his bedroom. I am intopowerful lights as I do use them in pit black condition and need to really light up the area even though I don't have a need for flashlight that often.

As I read from another thread, the battery companies still make lots of money from selling them. Outside of certain industries and other users (us, hobbyists, etc) just about everyone uses alkalines. It gets the job done and they are low cost. The brand weather cheap or quality, doesn't matter I've heard of Energizer and Duracells leaking too. Do a search and you may be surprised.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olights T10 and ITP's C9, both are single celled lights and have descent runtime. And both lights can be had for under 50 bones.

And both can be used with an alternate battery tube, letting you switch tubes to use either cr123's(16340) or AA (14500).
I have the c9, my gf really likes the clicky on it.
:)

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes i know what you mean...for the itp C9 i also got the AA tube and also the double AA tube, and as for the T10 i got the T15 tube. Its just nice to have more then one choice when it comes to powering ones light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my Nitecore EX10 Golden Dragon (purchased from fellow CPF-er Beacon) and it now my EDC, it works incredibly well and the interface is fantastic. A robust, durable, flexible lighting tool indeed.

It runs off 1xCR123 or you could use RCR123s but my protected Trustfire RCR123s are too long so i had to use unprotected RCR123s. But if you have CR123s and want a light that runs off those cells, i'd go for the EX10.

If you want to stick within your budget, go on over to Shiningbeam and check out the Romisen RC N3 II Q5, it takes CR123s/RCR123s AND can also run off 2xAAs. Its got 2 modes as well. I tested the light in 1xRCR123 mode and got about 45 minutes of runtime without any dimming, till the protection circuit cut in. That thing is a pocket rocket when using a 3.6 volt RCR123.

I got that light for under $30 including shipping to Singapore. Ordered and received within seven working days, talk about fast!!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I bought 6 CR123 batteries from the gun show because the sale girl was simply a perfect 10. I got them for $10 total. I do have a weapon light that takes CR123 but I rarely use my weapon light so I think these batteries may go bad before I use them. Therefore, I like to buy a good but low priced flashlight that takes CR123. I have two LED flashlights from BJ's for $30 and they are great and take AAA. I now only need one more flashlight that takes CR123. I would prefer to use my weapon light, which is much brighter than my BJ's ones and very small, but it gets very hot even only after 5 minutes of use. I don't know the lumen rating but I am sure it is way up there in the 300 range since it is very bright.

I stopped by Gander Mountain and saw some nice Surefire for $40. I know it is a nice light but it is not LED and probably won't have a decent run time. It is probably not any near as bright and my BJ's lights so that would defeat a purpose of getting a new light.

Can anyone remember a good LED lights for under $50 that has great run time and take CR123. Either that or advice me of a good way to store these CR123 batteries to rotate out of my weapon light every two years regardless of use. Can CR123 battery last more than 5 years in storage? Thanks.

Update to add: I just saw this light and may serve my purpose as I don't have any hand-free light that can be useful for camping, fixing car on the side of the road, or just general use. The best part is that it use AA batteries, which are plentiful and cheap. Is there any reason why high price flashlight use CR123, which is quite expensive? Aren't they running around $3 each instead of AAs, which can pretty cheap when purchased in large pack from Costco or BJ. I also like to add that it seems like Fenix lights using AA have longer run time than those using CR123. I always thought CR123 was supposed to be super battery meant for super light since only super expensive lights use them a few years ago when I got into flashlights.

Hotlinked image removed

The heck with the flashlight...tell us more about the girl! j/k:crackup:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
hmmm...since ur a firearms kinda guy, maybe a surefire G2L like others have mentioned. or maybe a Lx2 surefire..

or if u want just a muti purpose light i recomend the quark 123 or 123x2.
they even have tactical versisons of them also.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Maglite and Snap-On

Are these lights from Maglite and Snap-On pretty good as far as brightness? I see them in various size and battery package. I like to have some in 3 or 4 D but Sears website can't tell me long bright it is or what is the run time. Since it is D cell light, I am hoping run time would be at least 20 hrs since Fenix and other brands have lights with very long run time even in bright mode.

For Snap-On, I see a rechargeable version but Sears doesn't list lumen or even run time. I am not sure if it is better to have rechargeable flashlights or just use rechargeable batteries. I hate to think that the lights would be useless once its battery pack is dead whereas the rechargeable batteries readily available can be purchased for relatively low price.

I have a 100 cash back card burning a hole in my pocket. If it wasn't for the card, I would buy somewhere else with better selection.

Thanks.

Latest posts