Goodbye old friend...

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
I finally lost a light this weekend while on a vacation in Denver. I had taken my Fenix P2D Rebel 100 out of its holster to try to get the attention of a baby I was photographing. She didn't pay attention but instead of putting it back into the holster, I just put it on my lap. Duh. I got up and it fell into the grass and i didn't realize it was gone until quite some time later.

I went back and searched (using the flashlight in my cell phone for light) and didn't see it.

That P2D has been with me 365 for the last two years or so and I loved it even though it had quirks.

It had the "flash" problem when turned on and I think I always preferred the Q5's coldness to the Rebel 100's "warm" look. Oddly, I always preferred the P2D Rebel to the P1D Q5 I also have.

I'm going to still miss it though.

I ordered a P2D Q5 to replace it. I like its shape and I have an L1D/L2D body to match it so I had to stick with it rather than pick up a PD20.

For now, I'm going to EDC my EX10 Golden Dragon and I considered another Rebel but they're long gone from the shelves.

Oh well...

computernut

Enlightened
I've been thinking of putting my expensive flashlights on the item insurance I have with State Farm. I currently have my camera equipment on it so if it gets lost/stolen/dropped they'll pay for the repair/replacement. There is no deductible and your rate doesn't go up due to a claim. Came in handy when my fiancee dropped one of my expensive lenses.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Major bummer.

That's the type of situation that makes it totally worth while to carry a good backup. I once lost a light at night, while walking through a field overgrown with fairly tall grass. Went back with my 30$ backup light and found it in less than 5 minutes. That's probably why I want the extra lumens now, even though I never use them just to walk around.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Arc Mania still makes lights with rebel emitters in them.

I would go back and look for it when it is light out.

325addict

Enlightened
2=1, 1=0 is very true here :whistle:
(where a cell phone counts for zero).

I always carry a Fenix LD01 as a backup... on high, this one is bright enough, even when you need much light....

I surely would have gone back to that place the next possibility, when there's enough light (either from day, or from another flashlight...)

Timmo.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
This kind of behavior is unacceptable at CPF. :nana:

Yeah, I normally carry two lights but with two kids and all the junk and a flight, I went as light as possible. My cell phone actually has a real flashlight LED in it, not the turn the screen white thing. It was definitely gone and I'm back in California now so someone else is going to enjoy it.

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
Sad sad... lights like that do mean a lot. I have a Casio watch that I bought four years ago, and over the past year or two it has started to short-circuit itself, maybe from water damage (despite claiming 100M water resist) when I play with it in salt water, etc.

Something you carry with you starts to have a sentimental value, and I hope your new P2D will become your new best friend :)

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
perhaps someone will find it and google search what it is and become a new member here at CPF!! (i am the eternal optimist)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear of your loss. I guess sometimes flashlights are like girlfriends. They come and go, but the passion never leaves you. Time heals all wounds, and in this case, hopefully a new light will do the same.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Call me strange, but when i saw you're screen name and avatar, i started to read your post with Eric's voice in my head :D.

And isn't it ironic that Cartman lost his light in Colorado?

Anyway, i hope who ever finds it will appreciate the treasure they have found and treat it accordingly.

MikeF

Enlightened
Cartman, PM me with specifics about where you were. I'm in Denver and I could find some time to search for it some more.

I finally lost a light this weekend while on a vacation in Denver. I had taken my Fenix P2D Rebel 100 out of its holster to try to get the attention of a baby I was photographing. She didn't pay attention but instead of putting it back into the holster, I just put it on my lap. Duh. I got up and it fell into the grass and i didn't realize it was gone until quite some time later.

I went back and searched (using the flashlight in my cell phone for light) and didn't see it.

That P2D has been with me 365 for the last two years or so and I loved it even though it had quirks.

It had the "flash" problem when turned on and I think I always preferred the Q5's coldness to the Rebel 100's "warm" look. Oddly, I always preferred the P2D Rebel to the P1D Q5 I also have.

I'm going to still miss it though.

I ordered a P2D Q5 to replace it. I like its shape and I have an L1D/L2D body to match it so I had to stick with it rather than pick up a PD20.

For now, I'm going to EDC my EX10 Golden Dragon and I considered another Rebel but they're long gone from the shelves.

Oh well...

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Cartman, PM me with specifics about where you were. I'm in Denver and I could find some time to search for it some more.

Wow! How gracious! We were at Washington Park near the small pump house just west? of the Boat House.

I seriously doubt that it could possibly be there as I lost it on Monday afternoon but, really, that is such a gracious offer that I'm blown away.

I'm just sitting here waiting for my P2D Q5 to show up and wondering if anyone ever noticed how the Golden Dragon emitters really seem to make fluorescent materials glow. I don't remember that with my Rebel 100. Now I'll have to try it with a Q5 when I get a chance.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flashaholic losing a flashlight is almost comparable to a man losing a GF. Except the light doesn't yell at you for not making her ice cream fast enough.

mbw_151

Enlightened
If you are looking for an affordable "warm" light, you might want to consider a Quark with a warm LED. I don't know if the special run is all sold out at Four Sevens, but my warm LED Quark displaced a P2D as my EDC.

Last edited: